Planned routes

ManInBrown

They post a schedule for the week with the number routes each day and who is running each route each day.

It includes who is off for 8hr or 10 hr optional days too.

They don't post a schedule at your center?
No. Knowing what routes are going out, or how many are "in" is management's job. They don't let us know that stuff in advance, nor do I care to know. If my route isn't in point me to the broom closet.

Re-Raise

No. Knowing what routes are going out, or how many are "in" is management's job. They don't let us know that stuff in advance, nor do I care to know. If my route isn't in point me to the broom closet.
So you don't have to follow your work and run a combo route?

Re-Raise

Also, if your route is cut, you have option to go home, or run an available route.

Here they post a schedule at the beginning of the week that says what day my route is cut and they have me forced to run the route next to mine which has some of my work. They claim the lower seniority drivers are scheduled off so they don't even show up.

Re-Raise

If you need the time to heal go to your doctor and get a note. If you were hurt at work go to their doctor and get a note.
My surgeon said "Oh you are a driver so you mostly drive? I don't see why you couldn't go back to work then."

I just sighed and decided I would work at my own pace. I just wish I didn't have to cover two combined routes to make some guy's stops per car numbers look better.

Re-Raise

He would have gotten an earful after I got done laughing.
The physical therapy they had me doing would never have had any impact on preparing me for the job we do. Luckily I have a pretty good home gym where I could still work my upper body even while I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my foot. And I made sure not to pack on any weight while I was off.

I would love to post the pictures of the loads I went out with my first days back, but I am afraid that you can read some of the labels. I took them so I would never forget how they eased me back into it.

ManInBrown

So you don't have to follow your work and run a combo route?
No. Route usually cut once a week. Once in a blue moon twice. The days it's cut the majority of my work goes on the other 2 routes in my loop. Both of those drivers have more seniority than me. I'll run a route of a driver who's on vacation usually. If not then point me in the direction of the broom closet. It will be a day of sweeping floors

Re-Raise

No. Route usually cut once a week. Once in a blue moon twice. The days it's cut the majority of my work goes on the other 2 routes in my loop. Both of those drivers have more seniority than me. I'll run a route of a driver who's on vacation usually. If not then point me in the direction of the broom closet. It will be a day of sweeping floors
So you show up to work even if you know you are an extra driver that day?

ManInBrown

So you show up to work even if you know you are an extra driver that day?
I don't know whether I am an extra driver till that morning, when I walk in. We don't have a schedule. Drivers start at 8:40. They don't let us know in advance what routes are "in" what days. I don't go home no matter what. If I get in my car and drive all the way there, I'm working. I have enough seniority and enough route knowledge that I can work every day, which I do.

Re-Raise

I don't know whether I am an extra driver till that morning. We don't have a schedule. Drivers start at 8:40. They don't let us know in advance what routes are "in" what days. I don't go home no matter what. If I get in my car and drive all the way there, I'm working. I have enough seniority and enough route knowledge that I can work every day.
We never have extra people show up wanting to work like they seem to at some of these centers

ManInBrown

We never have extra people show up wanting to work like they seem to at some of these centers
It doesn't work like that here. Unless you're on vacation, called out sick, on disability, or have the day scheduled off you show up. Bunch of low seniority drivers go home most days. But they still have to show up. Everyone shows up, every day.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here they post a schedule at the beginning of the week that says what day my route is cut and they have me forced to run the route next to mine which has some of my work. They claim the lower seniority drivers are scheduled off so they don't even show up.

Here, contractually they must post the schedule by the previous Friday. They were very lax at one time and it took a grievance to get them to do it dependably.
Anyone, who is not a low seniority cover driver, is listed by their route, with the remainder listed as "call in."

They usually cut the same one or two routes first if they're going to cut. I bid a route, when gained enough seniority, that was never cut to avoid that scenario, although my first two earlier routes were cut continually.

They used that same old "Billy Bob doesn't know that route, so we need your knowledge there, and we don't know when (if ever) he'll be trained on that one" line on me too. Soooo I helped them out by taking sick days that enabled Billy Bob the opportunity to learn it cold like we did in the good old days. Win/win.

If a driver, regardless if seniority, is on that list, he/she is guaranteed 8 hours. If they bring you in and have no work, they need to either 1. Find a route for you somehow, which is usually easy to get a volunteer to take a dead day, or 2. Pay you and send you home.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We have no idea who is off till we start at 8:30. 8:40 Tues to Friday. They do call when they want a senior guy to take off. If I already left the house I say I'm coming in. We have about 5 guys who take dead days. A lot of them. Our pt covers work steady by March till x Mas.

They did try to cut my area a few times. But for some reason I'd work till 9pm. Needless to say ,my route is on each day. With no less or more than 100 stops.

JL 0513

It doesn't work like that here. Unless you're on vacation, called out sick, on disability, or have the day scheduled off you show up. Bunch of low seniority drivers go home most days. But they still have to show up. Everyone shows up, every day.

So does the center pay for all that wasted time and gas that the drivers use up all those days? Didn't think so. That would never fly here.

No one has to show up and then get sent home in my center. How hard is it for sups to know the number of routes going out an hour in advance and start making phone calls? That's what they do in my center. All low seniority drivers work everyday. Monday's, in particular, they call seniority drivers to see who wants it off. There's always enough volunteers.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So does the center pay for all that wasted time and gas that the drivers use up all those days? Didn't think so. That would never fly here.

No one has to show up and then get sent home in my center. How hard is it for sups to know the number of routes going out an hour in advance and start making phone calls? That's what they do in my center. All low seniority drivers work everyday. Monday's, in particular, they call seniority drivers to see who wants it off. There's always enough volunteers.
If they're FT drivers why aren't they demanding their 8 everyday?

JL 0513

If they're FT drivers why aren't they demanding their 8 everyday?

Isn't that a question for the other posters who's centers are sending drivers home after they get ready and drive all the way to work? Nobody gets sent home or is forced off in my center. As I said, seniority guys always want time off.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Isn't that a question for the other posters who's centers are sending drivers home after they get ready and drive all the way to work? Nobody gets sent home or is forced off in my center. As I said, seniority guys always want time off.
True, but there's a big difference between showing up and being "sent" home, and showing up and choosing to take a dead day. If FT drivers are called and offered to have a dead day, I'd say that's a pretty nice courtesy your management team is offering.

But I do hear your point so....
Bunch of low seniority drivers go home most days. But they still have to show up. Everyone shows up, every day.
If they're FT drivers why aren't they demanding their 8 hours?