Pro/cons of management.

sosocal

The management job satisfaction level goes up and down over time. I would say it is down right now with some indications that it is on the uprise. If you need a job at the end of the casual gig I would do it. I have spent the greater part of my career in management. It is rewarding in many aspects. It is difficult at times, and occassionally unbareable. But here is the secret....It is just business. I often think of myself as an hourly in mentality. This company is buying my time to accomplish their objectives. THAT IS business. As Hoax mentions, I don't always agree with the company's direction or tactics but I know my role. I no longer stress over the philisophical void. Doing this has stifled my creativity, passion and zeal. But at the end of the day the company gets what they want from me - and I get what I want from it...A SIMPLE BUSINESS PROPOSITION.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think I heard a whimper come out of my DM's mouth our last meeting. Lesson learned: Don't sit between me and the wall. You are cornered.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax did they degrade you when you first started out?

I never had one of those bosses so either I didn't or I'm not sensitive to being degraded.

I guess it depends on where you are and what is socially acceptable.
Down South, there is not much difference between physical and verbal abuse.
It's just not accepted.
People die.

I am from Georgia and we have had to coach UPS Northerners who came down here and tried to act like they did up North. They learn to keep that behavior behind closed doors.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I never had one of those bosses so either I didn't or I'm not sensitive to being degraded.

I guess it depends on where you are and what is socially acceptable.
Down South, there is not much difference between physical and verbal abuse.
It's just not accepted.
People die.

I am from Georgia and we have had to coach UPS Northerners who came down here and tried to act like they did up North. They learn to keep that behavior behind closed doors.

oh man, years and years ago when i first started preload we had a center manager transfer here from Chicago and the first week he had around 50-70 grievances filed on him due to what we regarded as rude,arrogant and abusive behavior . The on Cars hated him just as much as the hourlies............It took awhile to realize he was just a Yankee . Ole Doug stuck it out and eventually made DM

Inthegame

The management job satisfaction level goes up and down over time. I would say it is down right now with some indications that it is on the uprise. If you need a job at the end of the casual gig I would do it. I have spent the greater part of my career in management. It is rewarding in many aspects. It is difficult at times, and occassionally unbareable. But here is the secret....It is just business. I often think of myself as an hourly in mentality. This company is buying my time to accomplish their objectives. THAT IS business. As Hoax mentions, I don't always agree with the company's direction or tactics but I know my role. I no longer stress over the philisophical void. Doing this has stifled my creativity, passion and zeal. But at the end of the day the company gets what they want from me - and I get what I want from it...A SIMPLE BUSINESS PROPOSITION.

This is an extremely poignant post. You have captured the essence of working at UPS. It is a job regardless of classification that just gets "in" people. They can't stop talking about it, thinking about it, trying to improve it for themselves and the company. But until one realizes it is just a "business proposition" their lives are indelibly affected. Many UPS'ers feel the frustration SoSoCal illustrated as many believe they are captured by UPS and they would be happier and more complete if they were free. But in the end...it's a pretty decent trade. Unless of course you escape to menotyou's cabin and live happily ever after. But that dream is unlikely so look forward to retirement when that creativity will burst out. UPS needed people like you.

whiskey

You kind of admitted to having a short fuse, in which case, management is not a good fit. Good managers are constantly putting fires out with ease. And they perceive adversity as an opportunity. However, I can only speak from observing.

Inthegame

Thank you. It is a nice cabin. Just sayin' :wink2:
I 'm confident it's more than nice. I've been away for a few days at my internetless cabin. No power, gas lights, no indoor plumbing, clean water at an outside pump, and I can't wait to get back. A weekend in heaven!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I 'm confident it's more than nice. I've been away for a few days at my internetless cabin. No power, gas lights, no indoor plumbing, clean water at an outside pump, and I can't wait to get back. A weekend in heaven!
Now that does sound like heaven.

Let me tell u something. If u want management, you wil not have a happy family unless your significant other likes it when u r not at home. You will be salary probably making $80k a year. But you will probably working 60plus hrs a week being mentally abused. Again if you like that sort of thing ,knock yourself out. I'm talkin through experience. If you calculate all the hours you put in and divide that with your yearly salary it comes out to $20-$25 an hr. TRUST me. I did it for 6 years and left. I found a job that pays me more than $80k and it is so much easier with way less hours. The abuse never stops if only for awhile. You are better off finding another job.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Detach your actions from your beliefs.

That's why some managers are so bad.

Human beings are what they do. We are defined are redefined by our actions.

You may have a heart of gold but if you treat people like scum, you'll become a scumbag.

In the end it comes down to the sum of a person's life......How much of themselves they're willing to sell off.

You need to carefully consider this.....once you make that sale, you can't get a refund.....and you can never, ever buy it back....for any price.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I look at it like this. When you go into management, you have to go to school. I call it 'Soul-Sucking School'.
Not every soul gets sucked out in that massive vacuum they use. But, the ones who managed to escape with theirs, have either retired, are close, or don't realize it has occurred yet.

I have a few exceptions in my mind. Not all are bad, but these consolidations in management haven't helped the supply. A lot of the good ones have fled because of the company atmosphere. I wish I didn't feel this way. It's just been my personal experience, though. Keep an open mind as it might be completely different for you. I can hope, at least.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I'm sorry: That should read: We are defined and redefined by our actions.
Detach your actions from your beliefs.

That's why some managers are so bad.

Human beings are what they do. We are defined are redefined by our actions.

You may have a heart of gold but if you treat people like scum, you'll become a scumbag.

In the end it comes down to the sum of a person's life......How much of themselves they're willing to sell off.

You need to carefully consider this.....once you make that sale, you can't get a refund.....and you can never, ever buy it back....for any price.

johnrich16

The basic pros and cons to become a manager are :

PRO'S

There are many positives to being a manager. Managers generally are paid more than others in the company. They appear to have more power. And the power and pay differences tend to give the position more status or prestige.

CON'S

Nobody likes the boss, and you are lonely at the top. You are the person who always has to make the decision, right or wrong. Wrong decisions may screw-up your job. On top of that there are legal liabilities as well as restrictions that non-managers don't have.

John *