Projected volume way off

MassWineGuy

Perhaps Karma has visited itself upon FedEx this year and Peak will be a failure because shippers went with a carrier they could trust.

Having worked last peak with UPS, let me tell you first hand that they screwed it up just as royally. And I don't mean the drivers.

Thing seem busier at my station and it was all hands on deck yesterday. We were told to expect over 11,000 pieces per day starting sometime next week, which is double the norm for our location. I'm from Missouri on this one. I still think a lot of people don't realize how close Christmas is. They're going to wake up suddenly and start ordering like crazy.

Found this article on what is happening to Amazon freight and the future... looks like they want to be done with fedup and use USPS primarily
http://www.scdigest.com/experts/Wulfraat_14-11-11A.php?cid=8692

Good read, but there's a serious flaw when it mentions the Postal Service replacing FedEx. The majority of mail going coast to coast or overseas is carried by FedEx. It's a contract that takes in a couple of billion dollars annually. So if Amazon uses th USPS more, we still benefit.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Having worked last peak with UPS, let me tell you first hand that they screwed it up just as royally. And I don't mean the drivers.

Thing seem busier at my station and it was all hands on deck yesterday. We were told to expect over 11,000 pieces per day starting sometime next week, which is double the norm for our location. I'm from Missouri on this one. I still think a lot of people don't realize how close Christmas is. They're going to wake up suddenly and start ordering like crazy.

Good read, but there's a serious flaw when it mentions the Postal Service replacing FedEx. The majority of mail going coast to coast or overseas is carried by FedEx. It's a contract that takes in a couple of billion dollars annually. So if Amazon uses th USPS more, we still benefit.
The USPS contract is for priority and express mail and has little to nothing to do with Amazon freight. As Amazon builds more distribution centers and sort centers, they will use less and less of UPS and FedEx.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Just curious what are the most hours they can make you do if you still have freight in the truck?
If you're a DOT driver, max 14hrs on duty a day and 70hrs in 7 days with a break of 34hrs before you can go back on duty.
If you're not DOT, they will probably let you drive until you pass out behind the wheel and run into a wall.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe, but I think we've about reach the tipping point with Mr. Smith. Now, when they ask for more, most people just laugh and WAD. So, if he takes more away, we do less.
I think you're living in a fantasy world. The disaster you predicted simply isn't showing up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you're living in a fantasy world. The disaster you predicted simply isn't showing up.

Like I said, I'm fine either way. I'm not a sage, Svengali or a prophet, and I have informed opinions, not facts. The system could very well still implode, as incompetence and inefficiency is rampant throughout Express. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...we'll see.

I'd like it even better if the customers have decided that FedEx Express is a waste of their money and that there are better alternatives. This would be very sweet indeed.

Speaking of fantasy worlds, how is your "independent business" doing?

It will be fine

I'd like it even better if the customers have decided that FedEx Express is a waste of their money and that there are better alternatives. This would be very sweet indeed.

They have. They use Ground now. It is sweet, business has never been better.

bbsam

Staff member
Like I said, I'm fine either way. I'm not a sage, Svengali or a prophet, and I have informed opinions, not facts. The system could very well still implode, as incompetence and inefficiency is rampant throughout Express. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...we'll see.

Very well, thank you.

MassWineGuy

My manager said the other day that 14 hours straight is the limit, so he's probably not going to give out any warning letters.

Also, re: USPS, how do you think first class mail gets overseas? Not on USPS jets. I can't wait until they shut down the USPS and hand it all over to us and UPS.

MAKAVELI

My manager said the other day that 14 hours straight is the limit, so he's probably not going to give out any warning letters.

Also, re: USPS, how do you think first class mail gets overseas? Not on USPS jets. I can't wait until they shut down the USPS and hand it all over to us and UPS.
If you researched it, you would know that the contract is for domestic mail not international. What you are not getting about Amazon is these sort centers allow them to sort the packages according to zip and then truck the freight to the corresponding post offices for final delivery. Much like how our hubs sort freight and then truck or fly the freight to the corresponding stations.