PT to FT.

Duckydad

I am a PT loader, and if I am asked to drive during peak season (my center has a lot of recent loaders that are now drivers). Anyways, if I become a driver after Oct. 1st, do I lose my PT seniority? Or would I still have a PT seniority date and a FT or Driver Seniority date? Then when peak is over, would I be able to go back to PT loader? How does that work?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
you will not lose your pt seniority date. if you bid on a seasonal job you return to your old job after the seasonal period

Duckydad

Awesome. That's kind of what I thought, but didn't want to say yes and then lose my seniority for bidding an actual driving job.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Not worried about my driving, but thanks for the advice.

Says everyone who has gotten into an accident.

Ever.
Good luck dude!

uNwUIoS.gif

Wizzy

I believe a temp driver would lose driving opportunity for 1 year but would retain part time job, and seniority. However when you return to your loading job all the drivers you load for will expect better loads since you had a chance to see how a load can really effect your day

billerz

Don't listen to these people telling you not to drive during peak, if u want to be a driver do it for sure. It's great experience and let's you see how the job really is. As long as you follow methods and be safe, you'll be fine. Also if u do well the center manager will definitely remember you and try to get u driving sooner, as long as u have seniority.

Duckydad

Good to know. Thank you for all the helpful advice. And yes it is worth the risk. You all know what a new loader makes as opposed to a new driver. The benefits are great, but so is paying my bills without a second job through the winter. Just saying. Also, if I was concerned about my driving, I probably wouldn't be interested in even trying. I get plenty of praise from the cars I load. And the surepost I do.

Box Ox

Don't listen to these people telling you not to drive during peak, if u want to be a driver do it for sure. It's great experience and let's you see how the job really is. As long as you follow methods and be safe, you'll be fine. Also if u do well the center manager will definitely remember you and try to get u driving sooner, as long as u have seniority.

I agree. The most important part about peak for aspiring drivers: The metrics are turned off and management won't bother you about performance as long as you're trying, are safe and get everything delivered (under normal circumstances). Only have to worry about learning the job. And first time peak driver routes don't tend to be too bad. Don't have helpers because they're not needed. Maybe some splits (especially businesses) off other routes. If you wrap up early enough you might be asked to shuttle out reload volume or bring in pickup volume from routes that'll be out delivering residential stuff late into the night. There'll always be something for you to do or volunteer to do.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree. The most important part about peak for aspiring drivers: The metrics are turned off and management won't bother you about performance as long as you're trying, are safe and get everything delivered (under normal circumstances). Only have to worry about learning the job. And first time peak driver routes don't tend to be too bad. Don't have helpers because they're not needed. Maybe some splits (especially businesses) off other routes. If you wrap up early enough you might be asked to shuttle out reload volume or bring in pickup volume from routes that'll be out delivering residential stuff late into the night. There'll always be something for you to do or volunteer to do.
Bingo. I'm glad I started at peak season because if they came at me with all the metrics and the hassle about over allowed when I was still trying to get my 30 days I'm not sure I would have made it. The bar is set a lot lower for new drivers at peak.