Quarterly Results

Browndriver5

Sure I have a lot of tools but how much do you think tools cost? Do you think that buying a "mechanic's tool set" at Sears for $300.00 is gonna get you very far in this trade? This is a skilled trade and it requires many tools including many special tools that UPS does not provide and where are you getting that UPS supplies all your air tools? Aside from impacts to remove tires?? As a mechanic you're going to be buying tools basically your whole career unless you're dead beat, which brings me back to the map book ;-) Man up and buy one if needed, there's a lot of people taking what they get at this job for granted.

Unions are for hard working people who actually want to do the job. I think people get being lazy and "I'm being harassed." confused.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sure I have a lot of tools but how much do you think tools cost? Do you think that buying a "mechanic's tool set" at Sears for $300.00 is gonna get you very far in this trade? This is a skilled trade and it requires many tools including many special tools that UPS does not provide and where are you getting that UPS supplies all your air tools? Aside from impacts to remove tires?? As a mechanic you're going to be buying tools basically your whole career unless you're dead beat, which brings me back to the map book ;-) Man up and buy one if needed, there's a lot of people taking what they get at this job for granted.

I did not say to buy a tool set from Sears. I understand buying quality tools. I believe I specified Snap-on and Matco. And I was wrong on the air tools. You still need those. They supply the big boy to remove tires.

Every place I have been has shop property including jacks, jack stands, grease guns, cordless drills, rivet guns, battery chargers, jump starters, bolt cutters, etc.

The mechanics needs hand tools, plus a few impact wrenches.

A good quality wrench set costs $300-$400. You probably need 3 or 4 sets, SAE and metric.

A couple hundred for a good set of adjustable pliers. Same with screwdrivers.

Add your prybars, punches, chisels, hammers, personal impact wrenches, socket sets (6 point, deep well, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch), etc. (I know there is plenty more, I just wasn't going to list everything...Allen wrenches, Torx bits....)

I know you can spend $6000 easily to stock your toolbox for tools needed to perform the job.

My question was that if you already had your tools, already been working for UPS for awhile and had all the necessary tools to perform your job, what could you have spent $6000 on over 2 years that you needed to do your job and did not already have?

I am not busting your chops. I was SAE certified working in a garage for 3 years. I know quality tools are expensive. If you're starting from scratch, $6000 is a good start to get stocked up. But that is a lot to spend on an already stocked tool chest.

I was just curious as to what you needed to buy, besides just replacing a few wore out or broken tools.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I did not say to buy a tool set from Sears. I understand buying quality tools. I believe I specified Snap-on and Matco. And I was wrong on the air tools. You still need those. They supply the big boy to remove tires.

Every place I have been has shop property including jacks, jack stands, grease guns, cordless drills, rivet guns, battery chargers, jump starters, bolt cutters, etc.

The mechanics needs hand tools, plus a few impact wrenches.

A good quality wrench set costs $300-$400. You probably need 3 or 4 sets, SAE and metric.

A couple hundred for a good set of adjustable pliers. Same with screwdrivers.

Add your prybars, punches, chisels, hammers, personal impact wrenches, socket sets (6 point, deep well, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch), etc. (I know there is plenty more, I just wasn't going to list everything...Allen wrenches, Torx bits....)

I know you can spend $6000 easily to stock your toolbox for tools needed to perform the job.

My question was that if you already had your tools, already been working for UPS for awhile and had all the necessary tools to perform your job, what could you have spent $6000 on over 2 years that you needed to do your job and did not already have?

I am not busting your chops. I was SAE certified working in a garage for 3 years. I know quality tools are expensive. If you're starting from scratch, $6000 is a good start to get stocked up. But that is a lot to spend on an already stocked tool chest.

I was just curious as to what you needed to buy, besides just replacing a few wore out or broken tools.

Also "Every place I have been has shop property including jacks, jack stands, grease guns, cordless drills, rivet guns, battery chargers, jump starters, bolt cutters, etc." these are "shop tools" these are items that are standard in a shop, as a mechanic we are not required to provide our own hydraulic vehicle lift or build our own service back from scratch, it doesn't work like that. As a driver you're not required to provide your own hub or package car/tractor trailer are you? I'm not gonna go and make a list of every tool I have because nobody has time for that and I've been at UPS for less than a year, I've been working as a Technician/Mechanic prior to UPS for 5 years and I'm ASE certified. I can assure you that while spending $6000 on some lower quality tools can probably get you by for a while but as a professional you should be purchasing professional quality tools, hand tools or not they will easily surpass $6000. With the way we beat on our tools repairing these trucks, a cheap set of tools isn't gonna get you that far. Let me get you a quote on a "good quality wrench set" since spending $6000.00 on tools as a mechanic seems so far-fetched to you.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Also "Every place I have been has shop property including jacks, jack stands, grease guns, cordless drills, rivet guns, battery chargers, jump starters, bolt cutters, etc." these are "shop tools" these are items that are standard in a shop, as a mechanic we are not required to provide our own hydraulic vehicle lift or build our own service back from scratch, it doesn't work like that. As a driver you're not required to provide your own hub or package car/tractor trailer are you? I'm not gonna go and make a list of every tool I have because nobody has time for that and I've been at UPS for less than a year, I've been working as a Technician/Mechanic prior to UPS for 5 years and I'm ASE certified. I can assure you that while spending $6000 on some lower quality tools can probably get you by for a while but as a professional you should be purchasing professional quality tools, hand tools or not they will easily surpass $6000. With the way we beat on our tools repairing these trucks, a cheap set of tools isn't gonna get you that far. Let me get you a quote on a "good quality wrench set" since spending $6000.00 on tools as a mechanic seems so far-fetched to you.

I understand. I am not arguing with you.

If you read my post, I believe I said a good quality wrench set will run you $300-$400. Your Snap-on link says $330. I agree. And you probably need 3 or 4 sets of varying shapes.

I know you can spend well over $6000 to stock your tool chest.

You said you have been a mechanic for over 5 years. So you probably have more than $6000 in tools.

But you did not answer my question.

What did you have to spend another $6000 on in the past 2 years in order to do your job?

If you said all your tools were beat up, banged up, bent, broken, just plum worn out, then I can see spending $6000.

And I know they get beat up, banged up working on trucks. But if you're only getting 5 years out of a set of Snap-on box wrenches, sockets, etc, then there is something wrong.

Maybe you need to quit throwing them at drivers when they tear up their trucks that you have to fix.

I have a $5000 tool chest and probably somewhere between $7000-$10,000 in tools. They don't get used like they used to when I was working at my dad's Texaco.

So I can see you having at least what I have, even before starting at UPS.

What did you have to buy in the past 2 years????

ps... I buy my own maps

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I probably bought tools bro as i repeatedly told you I bought.

You come on here bashing the drivers making the "big bucks" critisizing them for not wanting to pay for their own maps, justifying your stance by saying you have to pay $3000 a year out of your own pocket to buy tools to do your job.

And I call you out on it and the only thing you can say is I bought tools bro?

I respect my mechanics, but if you are a true mechanic, the tool chest you brought here with you is more than adequate to do your job.

Just because that Mac truck shows up, doesn't mean you have to buy the latest and greatest. That is your choice.

That is the drivers choice to buy a map or not buy a map.

That is your choice to buy that $15000 tool chest instead of the $5000 tool chest. Both get the job done.

You need to replace tools as they break, wear out or you lose them.

I simply asked you what tools you needed to buy that you did not have in order to do your job.

If you bought $6000 in tools over the past 2 years just to be able to do your job, you didn't have squat in the first place.

You must have a helluva relationship with your drivers.

In 1973 I was delivering out of a p-600 that was usually 80% full to capacity a combination of retail and residential. Usually 115 delivery stops and 43 pickup stops and that pickup was started at 2:30 and end at 5:00 to 5:15 (all industrial and almost daily the rear springs were sagging). So enough of the BS about light days in the '70's and '80's!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In 1973 I was delivering out of a p-600 that was usually 80% full to capacity a combination of retail and residential. Usually 115 delivery stops and 43 pickup stops and that pickup was started at 2:30 and end at 5:00 to 5:15 (all industrial and almost daily the rear springs were sagging). So enough of the BS about light days in the '70's and '80's!
No not a P600.... Lol

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
You come on here bashing the drivers making the "big bucks" critisizing them for not wanting to pay for their own maps, justifying your stance by saying you have to pay $3000 a year out of your own pocket to buy tools to do your job.

And I call you out on it and the only thing you can say is I bought tools bro?

I respect my mechanics, but if you are a true mechanic, the tool chest you brought here with you is more than adequate to do your job.

Just because that Mac truck shows up, doesn't mean you have to buy the latest and greatest. That is your choice.

That is the drivers choice to buy a map or not buy a map.

That is your choice to buy that $15000 tool chest instead of the $5000 tool chest. Both get the job done.

You need to replace tools as they break, wear out or you lose them.

I simply asked you what tools you needed to buy that you did not have in order to do your job.

If you bought $6000 in tools over the past 2 years just to be able to do your job, you didn't have squat in the first place.

You must have a helluva relationship with your drivers.
Apparently you want an itemized tax style list of everything I bought every month for the last couple years and it's not happening, I've more than sufficiently answered your question considering this is an anonymous forum on the internet. If you care about your job buy a damned map book to assist you in being better at it considering what you get paid was my point if you don't get it by now, you never will.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Apparently you want an itemized tax style list of everything I bought every month for the last couple years and it's not happening, I've more than sufficiently answered your question considering this is an anonymous forum on the internet. If you care about your job buy a damned map book to assist you in being better at it considering what you get paid was my point if you don't get it by now, you never will.
Got the new snap on catalog from the snap on guy I deliver to. Now to not go broke. Lol