Quarterly Results

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its considered a gift/bonus for tax purposes. You can write off tools but you only get that credit if it is higher than the standard deduction.

The write off for your tools would be added to your other deductions (home mortgage interest, property taxes, union dues, uniform maintenance, etc) and would be applied if the total exceeds the standard deduction.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I have yet to exceed the standard deduction, I guess I haven't made those big driver bucks yet, you know so much money that you could afford to buy your own map book.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You can get free county maps at several locations. Or buy one at a mini mart for less than a pack of heaters, beef jerky, coffee, etc. get the idea?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If they don't do well this quarter I don't know what they're doing. Low fuel should be enough to meet or exceed EPS targets.

If they miss I'll put a case of beer on the blame being put on the strong dollar.
I'm off on workers compensation for the first three quarters. Stock should tank as a result & rebound in the fourth when I return.:-)

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
$250/year taxed basically in half=roughly $125. We pay thousands in tools each year to make sure we can effectively do the job, last year I paid over $3000.00 in tools, the year before that about the same. To complain over spending $75 (if it's even that much) to do the job is pathetic. All those shiny tool boxes you see in the shop were not supplied by UPS.
I understand that you have thousands of dollars worth of tools. I have seen some $15,000 tool boxes in the shop.

That is your choice to spend that kind of money on a tool box.

You say you have spent $3,000 per year for the past 2 years?

On what. If you had no tools at all, I can understand it.

UPS supplies all the specialty tools. Air guns, jacks, grease guns etc.

You need your own hand tools. And I understand buying the good ones. Snap-on, Matco etc. They need to last.

I'm not busting your chops, but if you've been a mechanic for awhile, you already have your full set of tools.

What could you have bought in the past 2 years that cost $6,000?

Besides replacing every tool you had.

jbg77

Scrubs is a uniform bro. Do you think they would let a nurse show up in blue jeans and a shirt? no

They also pay for their stethocopes if needed. I bought a map book , socks, and boots to drive. I make considerably less than 90k a year. I did so for the opportunity to drive so the cost didnt matter so much.

bumped

I have yet to exceed the standard deduction, I guess I haven't made those big driver bucks yet, you know so much money that you could afford to buy your own map book.

Judging by your handle, your a mechanic. Do you use your phone on road calls, or do you take the company phone? How about others in your center?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I understand that you have thousands of dollars worth of tools. I have seen some $15,000 tool boxes in the shop.

That is your choice to spend that kind of money on a tool box.

You say you have spent $3,000 per year for the past 2 years?

On what. If you had no tools at all, I can understand it.

UPS supplies all the specialty tools. Air guns, jacks, grease guns etc.

You need your own hand tools. And I understand buying the good ones. Snap-on, Matco etc. They need to last.

I'm not busting your chops, but if you've been a mechanic for awhile, you already have your full set of tools.

What could you have bought in the past 2 years that cost $6,000?

Besides replacing every tool you had.
Sure I have a lot of tools but how much do you think tools cost? Do you think that buying a "mechanic's tool set" at Sears for $300.00 is gonna get you very far in this trade? This is a skilled trade and it requires many tools including many special tools that UPS does not provide and where are you getting that UPS supplies all your air tools? Aside from impacts to remove tires?? As a mechanic you're going to be buying tools basically your whole career unless you're dead beat, which brings me back to the map book ;-) Man up and buy one if needed, there's a lot of people taking what they get at this job for granted.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Judging by your handle, your a mechanic. Do you use your phone on road calls, or do you take the company phone? How about others in your center?
I've never used nor have I seen anyone use the company phone to handle or go on a road call, it sits there charging 24/7 covered in dust.