Question for you Drivers and your shoes?

badhaas

Pre-Loader
Im going to Air Driving school next week and am looking for a good pair of shoes to wear while driving and wanted your guys opinons and what i can get away with tennis shoe wise?

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
you are an air driver and as such you dont make a lot of money. just go up to k-mart and buy 30 dollar work boots and polish them up. that is what i do.

badhaas

Pre-Loader
i asked my driver sup last week about shoes and he said that with a tennis shoe somewhere in the marketing of the shoe like the ad it has to say work shoe and slip resistant sole?... i know most of these rules arent enforced very well but i dont want to buy a new pair of shoes and then get busted next week at school cause i know they are pretty strict about them (Earth City Hub in MO)

p228

Check out some of the police/military boots. Many of them are lightweight and they have flexible soles.

For example, Bates 2262

"Similar to athletic/running shoe construction, this method is lightweight and highly flexible."

chopstic

We have the official UPS driver uniform requirements posted in our delivery center. regarding footwear, it says your boot must be of a sturdy and "polishable" leather.

chopstic

rockport makes a good walking shoe great for the spring , summer and fall.
I'll second that... I bought a pair of rockport work shoes 2 years ago and they are by far the most comfortable shoes i've ever worked in. And they hold up to UPS abuse very well. Not to mention you can get a discount on them from working at UPS.

bbsam

Staff member
Usually Nikes. But by all means, don't try to go too cheap. Chances are your feet, knees, and back will all complain in short order.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'll second that... I bought a pair of rockport work shoes 2 years ago and they are by far the most comfortable shoes i've ever worked in. And they hold up to UPS abuse very well. Not to mention you can get a discount on them from working at UPS.

I wear Rockports as well, very comfortable, especially in hot weather. If its rainy, I wear some Timberland hiking boots that are more waterproof. I would never tennis shoes of any kind, they don't offer ankle support and are not designed for what we do. We had a driver break her leg last week when she slipped on some wet metal steps. She was wearing some brown Nikes that had those shock absorber looking things on the soles.

djkre8r

Nike Goadome - by far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They are a bit expensive but have held up great. And...polishable!

Cementups

Box Monkey
We're going to start wearing Heely's in our center. they say we will be quicker and more efficient on them.

2337353038_0.jpg
2337353038_0.jpg

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Georgia boot company 208's. 9" high, so the protect your ankles, steel toes so the dogs feel it, and they last 9 months to a year, or longer. I am on month 14 with this pair. Now they are heavy, but you don't notice after the 1st week.

1080Driver

I'm a fan of Timberland's. I have heavier ones for the winter & a "hiking" style for the rest of the year. They may be alittle for $$, but they last along time & I feel thats covers the higher price. Good luck