Question; hypothetical situation

I would just shoot the dog and ask the customer and her daughter to keep it between us. If I get terminated, we will see if there would be an exception to the rule. I have no kids at home, money in the bank and a new wife with a good job that loves me and would support my decision.

DS

Fenderbender
Extremely tough call but I had almost the same thing happen back in the late 70's. The bad dog that always chased any car down the road was hit by another car as it was chasing my P600. It wasn't dead yet and the guy that hit it lived a few miles away, he said what should I do? I told him how it was a vehicle chaser and he said the same thing. We were out of sight of any houses (rural area) so I told him to forget anything happened and I'd take care of it. The rear tires of the P600 put the dog out of its misery, I loaded it up at dumped it at a strip job later in the day. No lethal weapons involved.
Thats pretty brutal...how may times did you have to run him over ?

Griff

A strict interpretation of UPS's policy on weapons would result in the driver being terminated whether he fires the gun or not. He "posessed" it. I am curious as to whether or not the emergency nature of the situation would create an exception to the policy.

UPS policy changes like the wind. It all depends on if the driver in question rolls with the union or rolls with management. If the guy files grievances, takes his lunch and doesn't run scratch -- the rule is set in stone. If he wouldn't file a grievance to save his life, runs all day, skips his lunch, makes the idiots back in the building look good -- the rules do not apply.

Last spring we had a roll-away accident in our center and the guy was back at work the next week. Why didn't they put him through the ringer to get his job back? Take a guess.

satellitedriver

What do you mean - we can't carry guns? How about an 18" Bowie knive then?
Rod,
I carry a 18" custom made "tree limb cutter".
I don't want to have my mirrors broken or have the sides of my pkg car scratched.
I carry it to protect the company's property.
That's my story and I'm sticking (no pun intended) to it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to carry a limb cutter also. I always wondered what people though when they came home and there were branches all along their driveway:happy2:

tieguy

Banned
Driver on country route delivers package to female customer and daughter. While delivering pkg, customers dog runs out into road and is hit by passing car, which speeds off. Dog is still alive but in horrible pain and injuries are obviously fatal. Nearest vet is 45 minutes away and to load dog into vehicle would make pain worse. Customer and daughter are borderline hysterical. Customer knows that dog must be euthanized but is emotionally unable to do it herself; customer gets her husbands rifle and asks driver to shoot dog for her. Driver does so out of compassion for customer and to end the suffering of the dog. Has this driver committed a terminable offense for violating UPS's no-weapons policy while on the job?

chapter two gets even better. :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I used to carry a limb cutter also. I always wondered what people though when they came home and there were branches all along their driveway:happy2:

That is a GREAT idea and around here one that could be put to use. I will get a pair and put them in my crate I keep in the truck. I'm on a rural rte and they would come in very handy !!!!!!!!

Dutch Dawg

So what if a driver delivers to a firearms dealer and while in that shop momentarily holds a new model revolver shown to him by another store employee while the owner procures funds for a COD collection? Is that driver in violation of the Company firearms policy according to your interpretation?

How many Center Managers would give permission for the dog incident over the phone for this act?

The original question did not address "Was this the right thing to do?". It's a shame that it's come to greater concern for liability to a Company or career over what woulda, coulda happened if something had gone wrong, that didn't go wrong with this act, than what may be morally right...

feeder53

ADKtrails
There are a number of issues that could come back and get you fired:

1: Is it legal to discharge a weapon that close to the road.
2; Customer turns you in because of a change of heart.
3. Your fingerprints are on a weapon and you have powder residue on your hands.
4; You fire the weapon at the head of the animal and the bullet ends up in the next door neighbor who was out looking at the noise.

Liability is too great. Call the authorities and let them handle the issue.

Driver on country route delivers package to female customer and daughter. While delivering pkg, customers dog runs out into road and is hit by passing car, which speeds off. Dog is still alive but in horrible pain and injuries are obviously fatal. Nearest vet is 45 minutes away and to load dog into vehicle would make pain worse. Customer and daughter are borderline hysterical. Customer knows that dog must be euthanized but is emotionally unable to do it herself; customer gets her husbands rifle and asks driver to shoot dog for her. Driver does so out of compassion for customer and to end the suffering of the dog. Has this driver committed a terminable offense for violating UPS's no-weapons policy while on the job?
No this man did what he had to do. What is right isn't always the ups way but we still have to look deep inside our heats and souls and rise above this big brown machine.