Questions about transferring to RTD

Artee

It's listed as CDL, but the pay is less than us couriers make.
Shuttle driver is a step below a courier. Will probably be driving a bigger grumman which will require a class C CDL. That position has nothing to do with RTD. Its just a job within the station in the early mornings or a night taking freight to the airport.

Artee

1. What type of hours can I expect? Part time, full time? What shifts?

Our part-timers work weekends and a couple odd and end shifts during the week. Either early morning station runs or overnight routes to the hub.

2. Any idea what the starting pay rate is? I saw some old posts saying like $19/hr, but that's less than a dollar more than I make right now as a courier. Seems surprisingly low so wanted to verify.

Starting pay is location specific, so cannot help you there. Not a large disparity between courier and truck driver. You are not going to be making $5 per hour more driving a big truck.

3. How long does the CDL training take and do I start working as RTD as soon as I pass my license exam?

By the time you sign an offer letter it can take you 4-5 months before you are on the road by yourself as an RTD. Waiting for an open class and DMV test or retest if you fail can take quite a bit of your time. The RTD class here is 3 weeks by itself.

Oldfart

Hardest thing for me was passing the state test. Went to Fedex class before the CDL was introduced with the pretrip and road test. We kicked a tire or 2 in the Fedex class but once I had to do the state pretrip, there was over 100 items I had to call out and I was 1 lousy item short and the state instructor would not cut me any slack. Had to reschedule. I am sure the Fedex class does a more complete pretrip instruction now.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hardest thing for me was passing the state test. Went to Fedex class before the CDL was introduced with the pretrip and road test. We kicked a tire or 2 in the Fedex class but once I had to do the state pretrip, there was over 100 items I had to call out and I was 1 lousy item short and the state instructor would not cut me any slack. Had to reschedule. I am sure the Fedex class does a more complete pretrip instruction now.
Actually, The Fedex pre trip is more complete than at the DMV.

Oldfart

All we had back then was a chauffeur license. I don't believe the CDL came until the late 80's or so. I was a RTD for a number of years before the Class A and Haz testing and all that mess.

brown-nosing

Thank you for the info. I wasn't expecting a major pay increase especially being a trainee. As far as 4-5 months before going solo, would I be driving and just have someone with me?

Oldfart

You would be surprised as to the number of city drivers of tractors that are making in the $20 to $22 an hour range for other companies. Many are making less than $20 an hour. Might try sticking around make some easy money dragging a 53ft trailer filled with 26 pallets of Express freight.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Seniority $18.75
Twelve (12) months $19.50
Twenty-four (24) months $21.00
Thirty-six (36) months $25.00
Forty-eight (48) months Top Rate

abused.crr

Maybe I'll like the RTD thing better than the courier scam and I'll stay. I've been trying to find out the pay steps and top out to the position but it's like a freaking national security secret. I've asked several managers for the info, what step I fall into, and what the top out is. They all look at me like I'm asking for the colonial special secret. C'mon man. Why is our pay such a freaking secret.