Questions about transferring to RTD

outtatime

Maybe I'll like the RTD thing better than the courier scam and I'll stay. I've been trying to find out the pay steps and top out to the position but it's like a freaking national security secret. I've asked several managers for the info, what step I fall into, and what the top out is. They all look at me like I'm asking for the colonial special secret. C'mon man. Why is our pay such a freaking secret.
Your offer letter should have stated your starting rate of pay. If not, you need to ask the SM to giver you a new letter stating everything. Starting pay, what shift, time required in position before you can bid out.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Your offer letter should have stated your starting rate of pay. If not, you need to ask the SM to giver you a new letter stating everything. Starting pay, what shift, time required in position before you can bid out.
Very true. If not, they can pull some shenanigans. Always get everything in writing to protect yourself.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Maybe I'll like the RTD thing better than the courier scam and I'll stay.
I made the switch many many years ago and is the only reason I'm still here. It comes with its own stressers and it's still FedEx BS, but it sure beats humping packages and dealing with customers all day (IMO at least).

Had I stayed with DGO I likely would have punched someone out long ago. Now I do my job and am pretty much left alone. As long as you're not intimidated by the idea of operating a large (and I mean much larger than any courier van out there) vehicle, I would say go for it.

Having a class A CDL can't hurt. And yes, if I were just starting out with little prospect of topping out in the next century, I'd take the training and say "hasta la vista, Baby - thanks for the ticket!" and bolt.

fedex_rtd

Like others have said it's a much better gig than being in DGO, the major drawback is that until you get a route, you will be tossed into every route and every situation your station deals with. At my location we run 24/7 365.

brown-nosing

Okay I remembered to post an update. I spoke with my boss tonight. He introduced me to my soon to be new boss. We discussed the hours, pay, and training. He also said as soon as I get my Class A permit, he will list a position for me to fill right after peak.

He needs FT RTDs so I will be upgrading from PT Courier to FT RTD. He said pay is around $19-20/hr. For training, I will spend a week or two at another station practicing backing with the trucks. Once I'm good with that, training is 3 weeks in Philly. Then take the road test. Then start RTD.

Star B

White Lightening
But you get to deal with the drunks, falling asleep drivers, night construction, animals, and roads that aren't plowed nearly as much as during the day.. if you're in the snowbelt.

Additionally, if you can make your body swing to the other side of the clock, it's a good gig. However, the 2am-4am circadian rhythm sleep cycle does really suck.. even when you are used to it.

I ran a overnight shuttle for a different company way back when and even though I had my body mostly switched over, it was still tough during that time frame. I'd do it again though if the pay was similar/better than FDX.

brown-nosing

But you get to deal with the drunks, falling asleep drivers, night construction, animals, and roads that aren't plowed nearly as much as during the day.. if you're in the snowbelt.

Additionally, if you can make your body swing to the other side of the clock, it's a good gig. However, the 2am-4am circadian rhythm sleep cycle does really suck.. even when you are used to it.

I ran a overnight shuttle for a different company way back when and even though I had my body mostly switched over, it was still tough during that time frame. I'd do it again though if the pay was similar/better than FDX.
There's definitely pros and cons. I'm in MA so winters can be mild or God awful.

As far as the hours, working until 3AM won't be a big deal for me. However, if I had to work later than that, it would definitely take some getting used to.

SmithBarney

...I've asked several managers for the info, what step I fall into, and what the top out is. They all look at me like I'm asking for the colonial special secret. C'mon man. Why is our pay such a freaking secret.

RTD is the same as swing pay, I don't know them all, but the first 3 steps are ~17.40 18.50 19.66........step 10 is 29.xx

Serf

The newer RTD's I talk with all have Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday hours. Almost all starting around 1700 and ending 0200. For Part timers obviously earlier. 20$ to start is pretty good, considering the company actually pays for your training and license. But to echo the theme; all the drivers are leaving after they get the license for companies that pay 10+ dollars more an hour.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Okay I remembered to post an update. I spoke with my boss tonight. He introduced me to my soon to be new boss. We discussed the hours, pay, and training. He also said as soon as I get my Class A permit, he will list a position for me to fill right after peak.

He needs FT RTDs so I will be upgrading from PT Courier to FT RTD. He said pay is around $19-20/hr. For training, I will spend a week or two at another station practicing backing with the trucks. Once I'm good with that, training is 3 weeks in Philly. Then take the road test. Then start RTD.
Managers come and go. Get everything in writing in your offer letter. The name of the game at FedEx is CYA at all times.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do these offer letters include "subject to change" in the fine print and are they basically a contract between you and FedEx?
Yes. They call it "operational needs". And yes, it a contract. It's the only protection we have.

I actually used one to my advantage once when I was a swing driver. They scheduled me for 5 splits one week. I showed them my offer letter that said "no more than 3 splits a week". They backed down and probably scheduled another swing for 5. Lol.