Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkmac

The ancient Greek philosopher Xenophanes once scathingly pointed out that people imagine god to be pretty much like themselves:

But mortals suppose that gods are born,
wear their own clothes and have a voice and body.
Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black;
Thracians that theirs are are blue-eyed and red-haired.

What do people think God is actually like?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why more Christians don't read the Gospel of Thomas has always puzzled me. I highly recommend it to everyone. And I also suggest they read many of the other text discovered at Nag Hammadi. Texts like the Apocryphon of John show the influence of neo-platonism in gnostic thought which were important to early christian thought in folks like Marcion which influenced the christian ideal of the OT being replaced by the NT or the OT god as evil and the NT god as good.

You're way past my pay grade, but since we're talking about Space God anyway, what is the ultimate point?

wkmac

You're way past my pay grade, but since we're talking about Space God anyway, what is the ultimate point?

The conversation between Photog and myself were on a subject matter quite frankly most people have little knowledge of and it would seem you would put yourself into that category. The gospel of Thomas IMO is more about the self than any "Sky" or "Space God" and follows both an gnostic and Delphic Maxim of "Know Thyself." A tradition that is also a focal point of so-called paganism, hermeticism and various forms of the so-called occult. Which then raises an even more interesting question, what form of christianity did Constantine and orthodoxy actually wipe out? The Library at Nag Hammadi seems to me is a window into answering that question even more than the Dead Sea Scrolls were.

wkmac

My impression of the current theories about what came before the Big Bang is that they are simply that, theories. We may never know the answer, as we've reached the horizon of how far into the past we can 'see' with current technology.

However, some scientists posit that asking what happened before the Big Bang is like asking where North of the North pole is - the question makes no sense.

In this rationale, before the Big Bang, space and time didn't exist, so concepts of something coming out of nothing or 'before the Bang' are nonsensical. As well, the math doesn't seem to support a 'before'. It's not that there was nothing, there wasn't even that.

Was it a quantum fluctuation that initiated the Big Bang (which we're still experiencing, by the way), or perhaps our Universe came out of another Universe's particular black hole? I'm not sure we'll ever know.

I'll admit, I could never hope to understand this math, and other peoples' descriptions of what the high-level math actually describes fall well short of the mark. In either case, even if we discovered the actual cause and conditions of the Big Bang, the next question is, in what/where/how did those conditions arise?

It becomes infinitely regressive.

You might enjoy reading this.

wkmac

Scientists reduce belief in God by shutting down the brain’s medial frontal cortex

The scientists say that whether we’re trying to clamber over a fallen tree that we find in our path, find solace in religion, or resolve issues related to immigration, our brains are using the same basic mental machinery.

This is a fascinating study.

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on it.

I've got to bug out for work but I am going to respond to this. Interesting study and well worth discussing in the context of this thread subject. When it comes to both religion and science, I'm not sure the ancient Egyptians get the full credit that they might deserve, On that note and the idea of god as it relates to the brain in regards to ancient symbolism, I'll leave you to ponder the Eye of Ra.

eye_of_horus_thalamus_brain.jpg

newfie

This is consistent with my religious beliefs.
I have been mostly to Baptist Churches but never belonged to a Brick and Mortar Church.
I would be lying if I said I believed in their Creed and that's no way to start a relationship.

Same here. I never caught on with the brick and mortars because most tend to denigrate other religions. My belief is god has a plan for everyone.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I loosely follow a religion more in tune with that of Native Americans. A circle of life type of thing. We don't try to force our beliefs on the general public and just wish others would do the same.

upsgrunt

I loosely follow a religion more in tune with that of Native Americans. A circle of life type of thing. We don't try to force our beliefs on the general public and just wish others would do the same.

You type this, but then you also post this:

I don't believe in your god. Just wish you and all others that think like you would keep your nose out of my business.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/progressives-or-liberals.334419/page-4#ixzz3okidqWMW

I don't see all the "forcing" that you are talking about, yet you post what you believe, or don't believe, and try to force your disbelief views onto Christians. Help me understand.

oldandcrabby

Same here. I never caught on with the brick and mortars because most tend to denigrate other religions. My belief is god has a plan for everyone.
I agree with God has a plan for me. I do belong to a brick and mortar church. The reason I do is because of being able to attend church service under a teaching Pastor who will preach on one book of the Bible verse by verse until we as a congregation have gone through the whole book in the Bible.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You type this, but then you also post this:

I don't believe in your god. Just wish you and all others that think like you would keep your nose out of my business.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/progressives-or-liberals.334419/page-4#ixzz3okidqWMW

I don't see all the "forcing" that you are talking about, yet you post what you believe, or don't believe, and try to force your disbelief views onto Christians. Help me understand.
I have nothing against christians. Just wish they would not try to legislate their beliefs unto others. Restricting a woman's right to choose, banning same sex marriage and using my tax dollars for religious schools irritates me the most.

newfie

many native americans were also intolerant of the beliefs of others.

newfie

I have nothing against christians. Just wish they would not try to legislate their beliefs unto others. Restricting a woman's right to choose, banning same sex marriage and using my tax dollars for religious schools irritates me the most.

you realize almost all citizens of this nation try to legislate their beliefs. What makes Christians special?

newfie

I think moreluck is a Krishna follower.

Krishna a deity rather then a religion. Hindu's are very tolerant and understanding of the Christian religion. Could actually be a parallel focus along with your own particular religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.