Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkmac

Can I interject this one assertion?

"The Church" and it's teachings are not to blame.
The people responsible for adhering to and overseeing it are responsible and it seems that the core of our society is quickly sinking in the realm of sexual abuse and exploitation.

It's very disturbing.

Your assertion is more than welcomed anytime.

As to the point, society as we know it is largely shaped by religious ideals and in western culture this is what is typically called judeo-christian traditions. For the near future I see not that much change in that influence barring some unforeseen events that causes larger humanity to question its religious roots. An no, I have no fear of a few Allahites (moon worshipers) either. I see the wailing and gnashing from christians about the "war on Christianity" as those who know little history or the complex nature of man himself and how deeply bedded certain ideals are rooted.

That said, it does seem our institutions, the church in this example, is attracting a worse sort of individual to its hallowed halls in order to provide fertile grounds on which to harvest prey. But is this really new? Not really. This has always occurred on some level, it is the nature of power itself, but now we just have the means of making it more transparent. As historians unlock the past ever deeper, we begin to learn some things we thought were true and pure may not have been after all.

The nature of men (desires) is no different now than it was 100 years ago, 1000 years ago, the time of Jesus or even well before that. Because people across the planet are so more connected now, people are also able to relay events where in times past might have been controlled and kept secret. Some of those people of history often become known as a result of post death writings coming to light or those close to them doing the same.

And this is not purely a religion problem as we see sexual predation in political circles, police officers, sports figures, school teachers but they all hold one common denominator, authority and power over others.

10 point

Your assertion is more than welcomed anytime.

As to the point, society as we know it is largely shaped by religious ideals and in western culture this is what is typically called judeo-christian traditions. For the near future I see not that much change in that influence barring some unforeseen events that causes larger humanity to question its religious roots. An no, I have no fear of a few Allahites (moon worshipers) either. I see the wailing and gnashing from christians about the "war on Christianity" as those who know little history or the complex nature of man himself and how deeply bedded certain ideals are rooted.

That said, it does seem our institutions, the church in this example, is attracting a worse sort of individual to its hallowed halls in order to provide fertile grounds on which to harvest prey. But is this really new? Not really. This has always occurred on some level, it is the nature of power itself, but now we just have the means of making it more transparent. As historians unlock the past ever deeper, we begin to learn some things we thought were true and pure may not have been after all.

The nature of men (desires) is no different now than it was 100 years ago, 1000 years ago, the time of Jesus or even well before that. Because people across the planet are so more connected now, people are also able to relay events where in times past might have been controlled and kept secret. Some of those people of history often become known as a result of post death writings coming to light or those close to them doing the same.

And this is not purely a religion problem as we see sexual predation in political circles, police officers, sports figures, school teachers but they all hold one common denominator, authority and power over others.
Jesus cast demons out of a man in the church (synagogue).

Things haven gotten better since then. The next generation is growing up with very few pillars of society to trust.

wkmac

;)

12360437_10153890892129379_6794411970207469332_n.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I actually have a purple monkey that drives my car through Safeway. It sucks, because he always buys way too many bananas, and craps all over their floor. Now, they won't let him drive in the store. I guess I'll have to send The Flying Spaghetti Monster to do my shopping now.

Crap books and CDs like this sell by the millions to dullards who can't figure it out. If I had zero conscience and no moral compass, I could make some serious money by getting in on the Christianity scam.

Last edited:

wkmac

If you have a purple monkey, you might think about laying off the masturbation for a while.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You seem to have a fascination with your PP(PP).

I'm not the one who brought it up. The purple monkey in the grocery store was mentioned on the cover of John Paul Jackson's CD explaining how it relates to Jesus.

Perhaps you want a copy? Only $199.95 at the local Christian book store.

wkmac

Jesus: Man or Myth

This is a growing debate among many and in the article above is Dr. Bart Ehrman who argues for a historical Jesus and Dr. Robert Price who argues from the myth perspective. To my delight and the delight of many on both sides of this question, Dr. Ehrman and Dr. Price will finally come face to face and debate this issue thanks to the folks at Mythicist Milwaukee. Video at link sez Fall 2015' but the date is now set for October 2016' in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

I greatly respect both men and consider the writings of both as "must reads". I don't expect one to win out over the other, I see arguments that both could be right at the end of the day but to see both viewpoints getting public consideration side by side is a historic moment for those who are interested in the history as opposed to the purely spiritual and faith driven pursuits of religion and specifically Christianity.

newfie

"Libertarianism has a complicated history, and it is by and large a sordid one," charges Wolfe. It is "a secular substitute for religion, complete with its own conception of the city of God, a utopia of pure laissez-faire and the city of man, a place where envy and short-sightedness hinder creative geniuses from carrying out their visions."

---Alan Wolfe

Status
Not open for further replies.