Safety Compliance.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Steve

I have to commend you on your decision. You will be abused by many, but at the end of the day, and of your career at UPS, it will be some of the most rewarding time you will spend.

I asked Cheryl about having a separate forum for safety cochairs around the country to network in getting things done, and having a more uniform system of dealing with safety issues. Something only cochairs past and present would have access to.

Problem is that the UPS snoopers in Atlanta see a concerted effort by a unified group of safety committees as something they can not control. Hell, who knows, we might actually network together and actually change the safety picture at UPS without heavy management involvement and control.

So that is why I dont ever think that something this beneficial will ever become a part of the BC. UPS would sue to get it removed, or at least threaten to do so.

And they do have slightly deeper pockets than Cheryl.:wink2:

d

helenofcalifornia

We can't just pull up to any hose and wash our windows in my area. We must use soft water because of the paint job. Believe me, I have tried and the results are a very streaky car that looks worse than when I started. I hate to do it, but I am going to have to kiss some ass, carwash ass that is, And befriend my peeps in the carwash. Yuck!

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Just stop at a gas station and use their squeegee. Inside and out. Stand on the front bumper to do the outside of the windshield. Quick and easy.

rod

Retired 22 years
The car washers supply cabinet should have all kinds of paper towels and spray bottles of "Windex stuff" in it. Grab some supplies, jump up on your bumper and go to town (On the clock). Don't forget to do your mirrors also. Or if worse comes to worse stop at a gas station and use their windshield brush and towels. Dirty windows are a big saftey hazard and if the company isn't allowing enough time for the carwash people to do it--take the bull by the horns and do it yourself.:peaceful:

gwood

I know this is off track, but for all of you fellow bikers out there I have a link to a really great short flick on motorcycle safety but be warned...it is VERY graphic. http//www.savealifetour.net/motorcycle.htm I bet some of those riders wish they had layed the bike down!

Steve

I have to commend you on your decision. You will be abused by many, but at the end of the day, and of your career at UPS, it will be some of the most rewarding time you will spend.

I asked Cheryl about having a separate forum for safety cochairs around the country to network in getting things done, and having a more uniform system of dealing with safety issues. Something only cochairs past and present would have access to.

Problem is that the UPS snoopers in Atlanta see a concerted effort by a unified group of safety committees as something they can not control. Hell, who knows, we might actually network together and actually change the safety picture at UPS without heavy management involvement and control.

So that is why I dont ever think that something this beneficial will ever become a part of the BC. UPS would sue to get it removed, or at least threaten to do so.

d

Danny, you could do this on your own with a little help from a friendly computer guru. I am on a message board that has only 30 or so members and even less that participate. We are all friends(many live in the same town) and share the cost and it's pretty cheap actually.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve

d

That's a great idea, d. I've been PM'd by other safety guys, sharing ideas and asking questions.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I've asked about seeing other safety committee minutes, and accidents report so we could avoid some of them in the future, but it was no. I was there to sign my name and go to the meetings, but not to do anything or make things safer. That was years ago maybe things have change or you have a better manager, the I'm sure it's basically the same.

mpinto21

Re: Safety Compliance and equipment

Guys, I am new to driving and I was curious about a few things. Where and what gear did you get for this job?

Like gloves and boots, etc., This job can take a big tole on your body and I was hoping to get get some good advice from the long-time upsers who have been through it. They go over some stuff, but I am hoping to avoid health probs in the future.

Thanks for the help!

-Matt in NJ

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've asked about seeing other safety committee minutes, and accidents report so we could avoid some of them in the future, but it was no. I was there to sign my name and go to the meetings, but not to do anything or make things safer. That was years ago maybe things have change or you have a better manager, the I'm sure it's basically the same.

At the yearly safetypalooza, you get to see and hear all about the other committees records and numbers, district wide. MGMT tries to have the center with the lowest number of accidents/injuries be the example for the rest. Aside from the weekly conference calls and sharing with sister centers, we don't get too much feedback. I have noticed a lot of verbal wrestling when I start talking (outside of the box) about safety issues.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Re: Safety Compliance and equipment

Guys, I am new to driving and I was curious about a few things. Where and what gear did you get for this job?

Like gloves and boots, etc., This job can take a big tole on your body and I was hoping to get get some good advice from the long-time upsers who have been through it. They go over some stuff, but I am hoping to avoid health probs in the future.

Thanks for the help!

-Matt in NJ

Welcome to the Brown Cafe, Matt. The easiest way to find answers in this forum, is to use the search function. Just type in the word that you're looking for, like boots, gear, gloves or sunglasses. That will bring up a list of threads that will be of great use to you. Here's something to get you started.... http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/boots-for-driving.186468/

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here we go again. Another day, another collision. The guy on the motorcycle was heading southbound. Minivan coming northbound, made U-turn in front of motorcycle. Motorcycle T-Boned the minivan. How could/could this have been avoided? Motorcyclist was taken by helicopter to trauma center. On scene police expect him to survive. Here's the article...http://tcpalm.com/news/2009/feb/03/...re-mall-closed-becau/?partner=yahoo_headlines
collision1.jpg
collision2.jpg
collision.jpg
collision3.jpg

Here we go again. Another day, another collision. The guy on the motorcycle was heading southbound. Minivan coming northbound, made U-turn in front of motorcycle. Motorcycle T-Boned the minivan. How could/could this have been avoided? Motorcyclist was taken by helicopter to trauma center. On scene police expect him to survive. Here's the article...http://tcpalm.com/news/2009/feb/03/...re-mall-closed-becau/?partner=yahoo_headlines
It's very simple how it could have been avoided. The driver of the mini-van could have just followed the driving laws.
Other than that, the motorcycle rider should have expected some :censored2: to pull out in front of him at every intersection.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The problem here is that people see "through" motorcycles. So many people are in such a hurry, (for what, really), that they fail to take a good look when turning and switching lanes. God forbid you ask a non UPS'er if they clear intersections before crossing. Huh, what's that mean?

The problem here is that people see "through" motorcycles. So many people are in such a hurry, (for what, really), that they fail to take a good look when turning and switching lanes. God forbid you ask a non UPS'er if they clear intersections before crossing. Huh, what's that mean?
I think that may be the same just about everywhere Steve. I gave up riding motorcycles years ago because, even though I knew people were appointed to run over us, I couldn't figure out which ones they were.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Maybe the driver went GAGA because of your beauty?:wink2:
It was a woman driver. LOL Don't think that was the case. I do remember looking directly at her and she was looking behind me. I have to laugh. After I went down, (BTW there was an off-duty fireman there, witnessed the accident) I remember calling her every 4 letter word in the book. And I mean EVERY 4 letter word (including the c word). I told the off-duty to have her come over because I was going to kick her :censored2:. Later I found out that I had torn my ACL, completely separated, and would have had a hard time standing I still would have kicked her :censored2: all over the place.