Saturday or Sunday hmm

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there a difference in the contract for the reason to be forced to work?

No but it would easier to understand if it were for reasons outside of their control.

The last thing I wanted to do today was work; however, I understood why we were "asked " to do so and know that it will make things a but easier tomorrow.

bumped

No but it would easier to understand if it were for reasons outside of their control.

The last thing I wanted to do today was work; however, I understood why we were "asked " to do so and know that it will make things a but easier tomorrow.

I don't see my kids at all during the week due to the holiday hours. I see my kids very little during the week during the non holiday forced overtime. All I want are our Saturdays, Sundays, and contractual holidays. Now UPS is taking those away too.

upsgrunt

If it was the last thing you wanted to do, why were you the first one to sign up, and say "yes, please!"?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Um, No.

It's "self evident" that the companies opinion of the membership is....

If they cared, they would vote.

-Bug-

Therefore the company has no regard for IBT leadership....or IBT leadership has no regard for the membership either?

Perhaps it's "self evident" that membership sees that their vote has been deemed irrelevant by the IBT, so why bother voting?

ART. XII, Section 6. The General Executive Board is empowered
to amend, delete, or add to this Article if at any time
it believes such action will be in the interests of the
International Union or its subordinate bodies.

How about throwing me a freebie, as a guy in the know?

What is "except as otherwise provided" in reference to?
When is "no seniority employee shall be required" relevant?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

With the other language later on in that article that was put in after this initial language put in, I would say(don't know legally for sure) the later language would supersede the original language. That, along with the language that says UPS can make operational changes to keep up with the competition, makes it 2-1 in favor of the companies decision. At best, it is ambiguous, and can be interpreted either way.

So in other words, this language is irrelevant and has been so for how long?
How are we supposed to accept that answer?

Inthegame

What is "except as otherwise provided" in reference to?
Sec 4 refers to pay rates. An example of reference for when "except as otherwise provided" applies is in section 5 of Art 15. Anyone going over midnight and working into a holiday is excepted from the double time guarantee of sec 4. I've had plenty of feeder guys wanting to file for holiday pay going over midnight into a holiday.

Not sure about Sam and Dave's fighting prowess but they sure could sing...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sec 4 refers to pay rates. An example of reference for when "except as otherwise provided" applies is in section 5 of Art 15. Anyone going over midnight and working into a holiday is excepted from the double time guarantee of sec 4. I've had plenty of feeder guys wanting to file for holiday pay going over midnight into a holiday.

Oh snap, they called in the Calvary!!!

There were 2 questions and you only answered half of one of them?

It has been inferred that section 4 somehow "supersedes" section 1, giving the company carte blanche to work us on any named holiday (except Labor Day), even though it only seems to address holiday pay rates and guarantees?

If this is the case, when is section 1 of Art 15 relevant?

Seriously game why bother. No matter what answer you give there will always be a problem from a certain poster with it. Some are to smart for their own good. So smart that they can't see it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Seriously game why bother. No matter what answer you give there will always be a problem from a certain poster with it. Some are to smart for their own good. So smart that they can't see it.
A certain poster, say my name!
I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable, but they are only questions that continue to go unanswered.

Too smart for their own good???
What does that mean?
I've heard that twice today, is it a veiled threat??

You might want to try thinking for yourself for a change.

Inthegame

It has been inferred that section 4 somehow "supersedes" section 1, giving the company carte blanche to work us on any named holiday, even though it only seems to address holiday pay rates?

Calvary? Good call as I've been busy with horses lately, all 23 horses on a 1941 9N. Anywho, you know I think Sec 1 is lacking clarity but it does refer to how one qualifies for pay on the named holidays and obviously sec 4 allows for the possibility of work. I'd prefer Sec 1 add the words "and receive pay" right after "work" in the first sentence.
The fact that UPS hasn't employed this interpretation of the language as written prior to this year has caused a bit of irritation, but less in the field than on these threads.
Is that enough halfs?

Irishman Collins

It has been inferred that section 4 somehow "supersedes" section 1, giving the company carte blanche to work us on any named holiday (except Labor Day), even though it only seems to address holiday pay rates and guarantees?

To answer the question is to admit fault and take responsibility for the I.B.T.'s failure to protect the rights of its members. Bubblehead we both know that fault will never be admitted to and blame is their answer to everything. Change is the only answer.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Calvary? Good call as I've been busy with horses lately, all 23 horses on a 1941 9N. Anywho, you know I think Sec 1 is lacking clarity but it does refer to how one qualifies for pay on the named holidays and obviously sec 4 allows for the possibility of work. I'd prefer Sec 1 add the words "and receive pay" right after "work" in the first sentence.
The fact that UPS hasn't employed this interpretation of the language as written prior to this year has caused a bit of irritation, but less in the field than on these threads.
Is that enough halfs?

There we go, sort of, finally!!!
This language stinks, plain and simple.

The members are beat down by the breakdown of the union process, combined with the suggestive brainwashing on the shop floor.
They simply don't see the point in swimming upstream at this point and are placated by the payday.

I fear Pandora's Box has been opened,...and we may never get it back closed.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We need to stop being hypnotized by the hourly rate, before everything else is gone.
Remember, our dues are predicated by that very rate.
Follow the money.

Irishman Collins

Is that enough halfs?
Ok, in the game. Then you would admit that the I.B.T. has failed in protecting members rights to not work the named holidays by not using past practice as an argument or strengthening weak language that has been in place for decades? I appreciate your attempt to clarity but why not take it one step further and lay the blame where it should lie solely. This one doesn't lie with U.P.S.