Sell off my stock before the 2013 contract?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
allright, anyone else gonna try to get rid of as much as possible? I hate to say it but i think a strike is a maybe, its bad now, i even hear my sups openly criticizing the current conditions and there disparity regarding the future.. Are we fools not to try to dump it ?

allright, anyone else gonna try to get rid of as much as possible? I hate to say it but i think a strike is a maybe, its bad now, i even hear my sups openly criticizing the current conditions and there disparity regarding the future.. Are we fools not to try to dump it ?

Not at this moment.

I'm keeping it we will never strike again. Too much to lose for either side. I am going to vote a big old FAT NO on whatever contract thats presented. I think this is our only option.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't own any UPS stock as I work here, I prefer to diversify. The current employee discount is a joke and forces you to hold it for 2 years.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I couldn't agree more. Big Mama has laid the foundation to come to the table with an ultra strong pimp hand. She's gonna want a lot. IBT is gonna say "show us the money". She will. What we'll end up with is an environment more hostile than ever, making more money than we deserve, while our less senior colleagues are making less than they deserve. Big Mama will thin the herd with extreme prejudice , and Jimmy and Ken will be too busy counting the money to notice. I live in a RTW state, I know most of the folks I work with will not even bother to look at the proposals much less actually vote. I urge everyone to pay attention to what's going on around them, and start giving a crap about your future. Your children's future.

I couldn't agree more. Big Mama has laid the foundation to come to the table with an ultra strong pimp hand. She's gonna want a lot. IBT is gonna say "show us the money". She will. What we'll end up with is an environment more hostile than ever, making more money than we deserve, while our less senior colleagues are making less than they deserve. Big Mama will thin the herd with extreme prejudice , and Jimmy and Ken will be too busy counting the money to notice. I live in a RTW state, I know most of the folks I work with will not even bother to look at the proposals much less actually vote. I urge everyone to pay attention to what's going on around them, and start giving a crap about your future. Your children's future.
And to vote no also?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Out of curiosity, has the union started "brainstorming" with ideas of what they might bring to the table in 2013? If so has anyone been to any of these meetings?

brown bomber

brown bomber
glad I sold as much of my stock as possible this past summer @ 74.26/ share, prior to my retirement....made a decent profit....might have done a bit better had I held until this year, but I'm happy........still hold quite a few shares that I was unable to dump because of dividend reinvestment...all dividends now are paid in cash...I should be able get rid of the reinvested shares within the next year

Coldworld

60 months and counting
glad I sold as much of my stock as possible this past summer @ 74.26/ share, prior to my retirement....made a decent profit....might have done a bit better had I held until this year, but I'm happy........still hold quite a few shares that I was unable to dump because of dividend reinvestment...all dividends now are paid in cash...I should be able get rid of the reinvested shares within the next year

brown, at any point at ups were you given stock...im talking about your early years??? Were drivers ever given stock??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Out of curiosity, has the union started "brainstorming" with ideas of what they might bring to the table in 2013? If so has anyone been to any of these meetings?

We had one of these meetings earlier this year. The focus was on increasing the starting pay of PTers to $10/hr and to clarify and strengthen the union's position on the companies use of technology for discipline. The FTers in attendance were more concerned with our benefits and pension as opposed to a pay raise. My personal request was for the company to relax the policy on facial hair.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do is it worth buying stocks and do you tell them the amount you want them to come out of your check

I'll answer the second part first. You sign up for DSSP and designate how much you want taken out of your check each week. When you have enough money set aside to buy stock it will be bought for you at a 5% discount.

Now for the first part. UPS stock is only worthwhile if you have enough shares to take advantage of the dividend reinvestment; otherwise the value of the stock does not grow enough to make it worthwhile.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
. My personal request was for the company to relax the policy on facial hair.

Our worlds aren't that far apart after all. I wouldn't take a raise for 5 years if I were allowed to wear long sideburns on the job. I seriously doubt it would ever happen in either of our careers, but one day UPS might just take notice that the customer really doesn't care if the FedEx or DHL guy looks like he belongs to the Hell's Angels, so long as they can move the package cheaper than us.

Re-Raise

The stock could definitely take a hit if investors start to think a strike may be possible.

If both sides negotiate in good faith early enough, and don't take their rhetoric public, it shouldn't be a problem.

Because the labor costs are such a huge factor for UPS as a business, investors would be remiss if they didn't follow the progress of the negotiations.