Should part time employees make the same rate as full time employees?

I couldn't help but notice Mr. O'Brien said that I, as a PTer, am an unsung hero. He did not label you a hero. How does that make you feel? 8-)
I don't care what anyone calls me

This is all I want to hear
7B71Ci4KE3m0.gif

Karma...

I would challenge your theory pretty hard since the large amount of part-timers don’t even make it nine months and those that do are looking to go full-time or doing it just for the school money anyway. We go through new member sign ups every month and most of them never even get more than two or three months of dues taken out.
thats exactly my point.....more union initiation money and the union not paying heath and welfare to those pters yet taking in the h and w.......union Ponzi scheme

HarryWarden

Pretty good since so far all of us “heroes” have gotten screwed. 😂
It was so annoying walking into work during the pandemic seeing a big banner calling us heroes while people are making more money on unemployment

UPS spent $4 billion on stock buy backs, it would have cost $350 million for them to give every single employee a $1000 bonus

Thebrownblob

thats exactly my point.....more union initiation money and the union not paying heath and welfare to those pters yet taking in the h and w.......union Ponzi scheme
Well, union initiation money only goes to locals and we don’t even charge part-timers initiation fee here. You really don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
That seems to be what Sean is fighting for if I understand correctly. He addresses rewarding long term part time workers and catch up raises. But I could be wrong
Then you should give him your full support if he’s trying to bulldog bargain

Crosscutters

I still don’t understand why someone would choose the company over a part timer asking to make the same wage as a full timer in the same position?

dogs.bite.me

Very well said

So many people keep bringing up “you think you should be able to support a family on part time?!”

Huh? No… it’s hard enough for people to support a family on their full time hours, you’re telling me you could do it by cutting your paycheck in half?

I think a lot of people think by saying part time full progression pay should be same as full time pay, they’re thinking our paychecks should be the same amount whether working 4 or 8 hours lol

Equal pay for equal work. The benefits of a full time position is a guarantee to more hours (hence more pay) and a better pension
What does living wage mean?
I’ve understood it to mean a Wage that you can live on, fully support yourself.

Part time isn’t that. Get your raise. Keep the pressure up and mobilize your PT coworkers and you will see benefits.

It’s not going to happen this contract, but if you keep it up the ones who come after you will benefit.

PT is a necessary part of the business but all the drivers used to load and h load their own trucks, so saying without PT, FT would have jobs is a little funny.

PT benefits the union because of turnover.
The company pays into the pension for each PT employee, but a lot quit before they’re vested and receive 0 this padding the funds and making it possible to raise pension return for those who stay and are vested.

I’m all for you getting as much as you can. PT deserves a big bump. I think most here agree. But at the same time I’m realistic in saying it won’t happen overnight.

We’re not your enemy, but we’re trying to keep you from being super disappointed when the contract comes and it’s $10+ less than what you wanted.

Keep the pressure up on the union leaders. Don’t let them laugh you out. Don’t get discouraged. Encourage and organize your fellow employees. Start a FB group. Keep this energy. It could be good for the PT in the future. But keep looking at the future because that’s when you’ll see the benefits of this. If you stop, you won’t see it.

Good luck! I hope you get a wage your happy with, if not this contract, in the future.

HarryWarden

I still don’t understand why someone would choose the company over a part timer asking to make the same wage as a full timer in the same position?
They think it makes their job less valuable. And that’s what the company wants. They make full time positions scarce and make you work a long time to get it, so it becomes this highly valuable prize instead of something that should be a given in a multi billion dollar industry with the strongest union in the country. I think a lot of people don’t understand they will still be making twice the amount of part timers because they’re guaranteed full time hours

We’ve been talking about how much part timers make, how many people have you heard talking about how much the CEO and shareholders make? corporate loves us arguing with eachother. The CEO makes more in one year than a worker will make in multiple lifetimes

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
There’s basically always extra work at most centers now. If you want to work long hours, you can.

So why should a part time employee make OT after 5 hours, be able to come and go as they please after their first chunk of work is done, and then make the same hourly rate as the full time?

HarryWarden

What does living wage mean?
I’ve understood it to mean a Wage that you can live on, fully support yourself.

Part time isn’t that. Get your raise. Keep the pressure up and mobilize your PT coworkers and you will see benefits.

It’s not going to happen this contract, but if you keep it up the ones who come after you will benefit.

PT is a necessary part of the business but all the drivers used to load and h load their own trucks, so saying without PT, FT would have jobs is a little funny.

PT benefits the union because of turnover.
The company pays into the pension for each PT employee, but a lot quit before they’re vested and receive 0 this padding the funds and making it possible to raise pension return for those who stay and are vested.

I’m all for you getting as much as you can. PT deserves a big bump. I think most here agree. But at the same time I’m realistic in saying it won’t happen overnight.

We’re not your enemy, but we’re trying to keep you from being super disappointed when the contract comes and it’s $10+ less than what you wanted.

Keep the pressure up on the union leaders. Don’t let them laugh you out. Don’t get discouraged. Encourage and organize your fellow employees. Start a FB group. Keep this energy. It could be good for the PT in the future. But keep looking at the future because that’s when you’ll see the benefits of this. If you stop, you won’t see it.

Good luck! I hope you get a wage your happy with, if not this contract, in the future.
You don’t think a single part time worker at ups should be able to support themselves financially?

Wtf happened to this country? Do you think you should be able to support a family on a full time income? Because I do, so why shouldn’t a single guy be able to work and live while going through school and get an education? Or just pay enough for a roof over their head and food?

HarryWarden

There’s basically always extra work at most centers now. If you want to work long hours, you can.

So why should a part time employee make OT after 5 hours, be able to come and go as they please after their first chunk of work is done, and then make the same hourly rate as the full time?
That extra work is at the discretion of the company. And over time is not as common as you think. AND even with a part time worker on OVERTIME pay they are still making $15 less an hour then the full time warehouse worker standing next to them doing the same job. That’s not right

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You don’t think a single part time worker at ups should be able to support themselves financially?

Wtf happened to this country? Do you think you should be able to support a family on a full time income? Because I do, so why shouldn’t a single guy be able to work and live while going through school and get an education? Or just pay enough for a roof over their head and food?
Because ultimately economies of scale exist.

It’s not twice as expensive to support a wife and yourself as it is yourself.

Or three times as expensive when you have a kid.

dogs.bite.me

Settle down.

I believe an argument could be made that the average part-timer moves more weight during a 4-hour shift than the average full-time combo who "made it" and loads for 4 hours then has a breezy second-half bid. PT and FT inside both move more weight than a driver, if we want to talk about "hard work". That said, drivers have more responsibility. Ultimately, we are all self-absorbed. We all have it worse than the other guy, in our own mind.
You move it more 20 feet into a pkg car.

We have to carry those mattresses up stairs and on rocky driveways and deal with crappy loads and much much more.

PT is a hard job and you guys work your butts off. But don’t act like Drivers don’t.

HarryWarden

Because ultimately economies of scale exist.

It’s not twice as expensive to support a wife and yourself as it is yourself.

Or three times as expensive when you have a kid.
Wait, you’re saying it’s not twice as expensive to support a wife and family as yourself, so why would the FT wage need to be so significantly higher than?

You’re making my point.

The Range

In too deep

We have to carry those mattresses up stairs and on rocky driveways and deal with crappy loads and much much more.

PT is a hard job and you guys work your butts off. But don’t act like Drivers don’t.
No doubt, the job is a tough slog regardless of what position you're in.

HarryWarden

My goodness. I have had to had said this 50 times by now

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DRIVERS

Drivers have a different responsibility than loaders. I’m talking about part time warehouse vs full time warehouse

10 years loading part time is $15 an hour. A full time warehouse employee doing the same exact work makes $34 an hour