Should The Next Contract Address "Scabs?"

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Honest question.

Do you view college students, who are just doing this as a college job, and don't pay into the union scabs? Almost my entire sort is college kids who have health insurance through their parents, and are working to have some money to goof around in school. Most are under a year and don't have the benefits, and none have ever utilized a steward (at least since I've been there).

The only part of the union that affects them is the union negotiated wages.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Asking for yourself? I don't know you from Jack, but I'd bet a paycheck or two you have quite the garden in your backyard.

I'm not talking Tomatoes either.
No way!
Around here, people grow it in their basements.
Most everyone around here has a basement and if you use solar for energy and have a well, it is hard to catch you.
Regardless, I have not planted any on my properties but it's 14 acres and I probably would not recognize it anyway.
I go to concerts and music clubs were it is available.
I don't care for it otherwise as it makes me paranoid and smoke kills my sinuses.
I am going to Colorado in August and I will try varieties out there in candy or eatables.
My arthritis bothers me a lot and typical long term use of arthritis pills wind up killing you after 15 - 20 years of use so I am off them.
Georgia passed some medical marijuana laws but it is very restrictive.
I am hoping those laws will relax in Georgia over the next 10 years.
Otherwise, we may move to Colorado.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Honest question.

Do you view college students, who are just doing this as a college job, and don't pay into the union scabs? Almost my entire sort is college kids who have health insurance through their parents, and are working to have some money to goof around in school. Most are under a year and don't have the benefits, and none have ever utilized a steward (at least since I've been there).

I don't.

Johney

No way!
Around here, people grow it in their basements.
Most everyone around here has a basement and if you use solar for energy and have a well, it is hard to catch you.
Regardless, I have not planted any on my properties but it's 14 acres and I probably would not recognize it anyway.
I go to concerts and music clubs were it is available.
I don't care for it otherwise as it makes me paranoid and smoke kills my sinuses.
I am going to Colorado in August and I will try varieties out there in candy or eatables.
My arthritis bothers me a lot and typical long term use of arthritis pills wind up killing you after 15 - 20 years of use so I am off them.
Georgia passed some medical marijuana laws but it is very restrictive.
I am hoping those laws will relax in Georgia over the next 10 years.
Otherwise, we may move to Colorado.
Awful long post explaining that you don't grow weed.......If that's your story just stick to it. I believe you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1427842326.175018.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Awful long post explaining that you don't grow weed.......If that's your story just stick to it. I believe you.
It's just that I am personally motivated to change people's attitude towards medical use of marijuana.

The bad thing about it is since I don't like pot in it's current state, I don't know for sure it will help me once it is refined. The evidence is promising though.

Also, I was not able to get to sleep until 8:30 am last "night" due to my arthritis hurting.

:its_all_good:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It's just that I am personally motivated to change people's attitude towards medical use of marijuana.

The bad thing about it is since I don't like pot in it's current state, I don't know for sure it will help me once it is refined. The evidence is promising though.

Also, I was not able to get to sleep until 8:30 am last "night" due to my arthritis hurting.

If your going to Colorado try some of the salve or tinctures. Some say it's VooDoo
Some say it works might be worth a try

Johney

No need to justify it with me pops I'm with you. Cut through all the BS and just legalize it.Can't hurt.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Honest question.

I joined on day one, and I've paid dues my entire career. That being said, there are those who come here for a short time, don't join the union, and then are gone, sometimes before they even take a sick or vacation day. I personally don't think of them as scabs. At $10 an hour (aside from pension contributions and vacay/holiday accrual) they may not have the vision to see a career at UPS yet.
I'm in a right to work state, and my former center has about 95% union membership.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A scab is someone who crosses a picket line, the lowest form of life. Coming up with all these new broader definitions just ends up making the term meaningless. Eventually a scab is anyone at work that you don't like.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Freeloader then.

Freeloader is fine too, but it's just wordplay. The point you're trying to make isn't dependent on the specific title, it's the fact someone is or is not paying dues, yet still receives all bennies. As for picket crossing, sure, you bet that's a scab. I'd bet though that come picket time, the freeloaders and scabs will all look alike. I can't imagine someone who is too cheap to pay their own way, has the gumption to walk the talk.