Should The Next Contract Address "Scabs?"

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
When the Union, controlled by scabbing Full-timers keep their part-timer brothers and sisters battered down?
The Teamster's via pressure from Full-timers have kept the part-timer second class citizens, nay little more than slaves.
The wages negotiated in the contracts are only minimums. UPS has every right to pay PTers more if they see fit.
Somehow I don't see that happening in the near future.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The wages negotiated in the contracts are only minimums. UPS has every right to pay PTers more if they see fit.
Somehow I don't see that happening in the near future.
UPS does do that in some locations via bonuses and/or Tuition Reimbursement program.
Wage increases are highly unlikely as these are part of the contract financial terms.

PT Car Washer

UPS does do that in some locations via bonuses and/or Tuition Reimbursement program.
Wage increases are highly unlikely as these are part of the contract financial terms.
Last Peak UPS was advertising for seasonal package handlers at $15/hr, except no one was hired as a seasonal. All permanent PT with Nov, Dec and Jan seniority dates.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think if they opt out of union they should have wear special uniforms "ups scabs"

Sent using BrownCafe App

...even if they pay an "agency fee"...?

We had a driver who is no longer with the company who wanted to opt out of the union. He was told he would have to pay roughly 95% of the monthly dues as an "agency fee". As you can imagine he changed his mind.

LeddySS98

So if not paying dues makes someone a "scab"... Then would you also say that anyone who enjoys all the benefits of freedom, and constitutional rights of an American here in this Country, but never served in the military... Would also be called a scab?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
So if not paying dues makes someone a "scab"... Then would you also say that anyone who enjoys all the benefits of freedom, and constitutional rights of an American here in this Country, but never served in the military... Would also be called a scab?

Since many serve their country by doing a civilian job, I'd say the comparison would be more fairly aimed at a tax evader. Yes, I'd consider a tax evader a scab. Dues are a financial fee, like a tax. Military service, while honorable in the highest degree, is one of personal sacrifices and dedication.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since many serve their country by doing a civilian job, I'd say the comparison would be more fairly aimed at a tax evader. Yes, I'd consider a tax evader a scab. Dues are a financial fee, like a tax. Military service, while honorable in the highest degree, is one of personal sacrifices and dedication.
Many people in the USA evade taxes by not working.
Some people evade taxes by paying $20,000/year when they should be paying $30,000/year.
I would consider the first type more of a scab than the second.

Although I would never use the word scab to describe either or a person that chooses not to pay Union dues.
It's like calling a pear an apple ... sort of alike but not.
But i'm OK with the misuse of the term since it makes me feel better about myself.

LeddySS98

Tax evaders... Do you report everything you buy off the internet on your taxes when you file like your suppose to..? Have you ever grown a vegetable garden in your back yard... According to the tax laws if you do, you have to report it to the IRS as part of your income...

One of the reasons they broke off/left England originally was to get away from paying taxes...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Like most folks and and probably yourself, I pay whatever tax is charged to me. As for the taxable veggie garden, I'm assuming you must mean those who grow, then sell or trade their crop. We call them farmers, not scabs. And, by the way, we need more of them.

oldngray

nowhere special
Tax evaders... Do you report everything you buy off the internet on your taxes when you file like your suppose to..? Have you ever grown a vegetable garden in your back yard... According to the tax laws if you do, you have to report it to the IRS as part of your income...

One of the reasons they broke off/left England originally was to get away from paying taxes...

If you don't sell anything you grow it is not income.