Shouldered by a supervisor

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why dont you tell us what you know that we dont. As a driver I see this as mgmt sticking up for this kind of behavior, or a ptimer that has had to wait to go ft. Either way it is ridiculous. Just who are you, if he is lieing why would he post knowing the power of Brown cafe. Yes we finally have somewhere to come together and ask for advice!
A tampon in a diad slot? Threats, not good, do you want this company to becomes Postal? It does not need to, just a few people with cooler heads, to investigate.
This violence in the workplace is unacceptable for UPS. Follow us all you want, if I tell you air is going to be late and you disappear, it doesnt make it get there on time. It becomes an issue when Mgmt, has their hands tied, and you cannot do what is being asked of you and mgmt knows it.
I dont know about Chicago, but I know here we all help each other as best we can, and that is how we make it. Sometimes we cant help, we are all buried.
We can no longer expect the sup to fix it as they cant put a pt driver on road for numbers sake. So the numbers are going to suck. When and if you deliver air and nothing else and manage to do it by commit, you have 1 1/2 hrs to deliver priority customers, where you have already been, but you cant deliver it all as you have more air, and then at 1030 you begin again. and since you still are human, you need to break, or you are going to make mistakes. And that is what I see, expecting us to go balls to the wall, screw our health, pack a lunch and eat while you drive down the road. It is madness.
Im thinking a letter writing campaign to Atlanta, shut down their phone lines, and email.

True, its been out of hand for 1 year+. All this stress and drama for skewed numbers that show absolutely no correlation of actual work done in the real world. Morale is down the lowest that Ive seen it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
True, its been out of hand for 1 year+. All this stress and drama for skewed numbers that show absolutely no correlation of actual work done in the real world. Morale is down the lowest that Ive seen it.
I so totally agree. It makes no sense, and is going to ruin a great company. We used to be the best sellers to our customers. Now they do not see us the same way.

redshift1

Why dont you tell us what you know that we dont. As a driver I see this as mgmt sticking up for this kind of behavior, or a ptimer that has had to wait to go ft. Either way it is ridiculous. Just who are you, if he is lieing why would he post knowing the power of Brown cafe. Yes we finally have somewhere to come together and ask for advice!
A tampon in a diad slot? Threats, not good, do you want this company to becomes Postal? It does not need to, just a few people with cooler heads, to investigate.
This violence in the workplace is unacceptable for UPS. Follow us all you want, if I tell you air is going to be late and you disappear, it doesnt make it get there on time. It becomes an issue when Mgmt, has their hands tied, and you cannot do what is being asked of you and mgmt knows it.
I dont know about Chicago, but I know here we all help each other as best we can, and that is how we make it. Sometimes we cant help, we are all buried.
We can no longer expect the sup to fix it as they cant put a pt driver on road for numbers sake. So the numbers are going to suck. When and if you deliver air and nothing else and manage to do it by commit, you have 1 1/2 hrs to deliver priority customers, where you have already been, but you cant deliver it all as you have more air, and then at 1030 you begin again. and since you still are human, you need to break, or you are going to make mistakes. And that is what I see, expecting us to go balls to the wall, screw our health, pack a lunch and eat while you drive down the road. It is madness.
Im thinking a letter writing campaign to Atlanta, shut down their phone lines, and email.

BS was called on this early on because he has a history of provocative posts.

M

Mike23

Sorry you're going through such a rough patch, Red. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but in Calgary and Edmonton, over 9.5 is pretty normal. Of course our contract only states 'no unfair overtime' and doesn't give us an exact time. I'm curious if everyone puts in over 9.5 does it then not become 'fair overtime' instead of 'unfair overtime'? Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just like debating the wording on the contracts...especially the Canadian one since it's soooooo flimsy.

As for taking 'defensive action' DO NOT hit a supervisor. You CAN (at least in Canada) restrain them until you feel they're not longer an immediate physical threat. Essentially it means take them down with something simple like a wrist lock or an arm bar. In Canada (I can't remember the exact wording of the law and I'm too lazy to go find my criminal code book) if you feel your person is in immediate danger of physical assault you can use the MINIMAL force necessary until police arrive and then you turn the goofball over to the cops.

If you're REALLY worried about being physically assault, pickup a pair of handcuffs. They're about $50 and not only good for if a sup assaults you but great for kinky sex too! Not to mention it'd be pretty hard for all the sups to explain to the cops why someone's handcuffed and the video tapes went 'missing' ;)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Red, a question. Are the problems in the Chicago area with Management due to the fact that it's a big union stronghold or is management the ones causing the union to step up? We get supes in our center from bigger hubs and it takes them awhile to mellow out after all the hardline dealings with the union. Don't get me wrong, we still have grievences filed and guys hauled in the office with the steward present but every second isn't us vs. them. It's a game of survivor. If you play it right that same supe could be eating out of your hands.

QKRSTKR

Sounds to me like it's time for a beer summit at the White House with Chicago's best. Or hey, we can now have it in Chicago since the Olympics aren't coming. Bet all UPS'ers in the area are relieved. UPS can't handle what u guys have now.

I'm glad where i work. We have a few problems but nothing like this. I can't imagine walking into this every day. Stress is at an all time high, sometimes you have to know when to pull the bull horns in. What happend to Red is totally unacceptable. Seems like little problems that have escalated to a boiling point.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well I'm sure you have your apologists but crying wolf so many times makes your tale of abuse hard to fathom.
I am not looking for sympathy in any way you *****! I am just pointing out how a little harassment here and there has escalated to this point. Everything I have described has happened to separate employees. Its a pattern that if not dealt with will probably make the news.IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, this is a on car sup..right? What is your center manager saying about all of this? Not that it matters but what is the age of this sup? Sorry your dealing with this...
IMO its my center managers fault! He has lost control of this center and everything that has happened did so since he was the manager. We have had many managers and never has anything like this happened. He has to be the one that told the sup the names of the witnesses because he was present when I gave them to the HR reps. I had considered him to be a friend until I actually sat down and started thinking about this, maybe our friendship had blinded me in not seeing how bad it was getting in my center.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sorry you're going through such a rough patch, Red. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but in Calgary and Edmonton, over 9.5 is pretty normal. Of course our contract only states 'no unfair overtime' and doesn't give us an exact time. I'm curious if everyone puts in over 9.5 does it then not become 'fair overtime' instead of 'unfair overtime'? Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just like debating the wording on the contracts...especially the Canadian one since it's soooooo flimsy.

Here we get paid triple time for working over 9.5! We have been working long hours all year and now we have drivers dropping from excessive over time. Over 10% of our work group is off the job because on injuries and many more will drop before the end of the year.

As for taking 'defensive action' DO NOT hit a supervisor. You CAN (at least in Canada) restrain them until you feel they're not longer an immediate physical threat. Essentially it means take them down with something simple like a wrist lock or an arm bar. In Canada (I can't remember the exact wording of the law and I'm too lazy to go find my criminal code book) if you feel your person is in immediate danger of physical assault you can use the MINIMAL force necessary until police arrive and then you turn the goofball over to the cops.

Never in a million years would I ever have thought to hit anyone while at work. But now its something we need to retrain our thinking in. Its obvious that UPS's policy on violence in the work place only covers us hourly employees and management is above it. So If I feel threatened in any way it is now my responsibility to defend myself!

If you're REALLY worried about being physically assault, pickup a pair of handcuffs. They're about $50 and not only good for if a sup assaults you but great for kinky sex too! Not to mention it'd be pretty hard for all the sups to explain to the cops why someone's handcuffed and the video tapes went 'missing' ;)

The so called video tapes are missing. And the witnesses have not been talked to, but its all good!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, a question. Are the problems in the Chicago area with Management due to the fact that it's a big union stronghold or is management the ones causing the union to step up? We get supes in our center from bigger hubs and it takes them awhile to mellow out after all the hardline dealings with the union. Don't get me wrong, we still have grievences filed and guys hauled in the office with the steward present but every second isn't us vs. them. It's a game of survivor. If you play it right that same supe could be eating out of your hands.
Brown we have 5 package car centers in the Palatine building and this is only going on in the North center. The other centers are running smooth so its obvious that its the management team not knwoing how to do their job.

The tampon incident was over a driver requesting help with over 70s.
Stabbing to death was over the driver saying that his pick up log was already in order to meet the 15 minute windows.
Management actually wrote and highlighted least best on the OR because the time studies that were done a year ago have not been put in and we all gained time.
My incident was because I asked for help with airs and management failed to get me some resulting in service failures.
This is what happens when you have piss poor management! IMO

over9five

Staff member
but in Calgary and Edmonton, over 9.5 is pretty normal.

Hey, I'm pretty normal in the US too!

I'm curious if everyone puts in over 9.5

Ouch, that sounds painful. No way! I'm not that kinda boy.

pickup a pair of handcuffs. They're about $50 and not only good for if a sup assaults you but great for kinky sex too!

Ummm, not even gonna touch that...

705red

Browncafe Steward
BS was called on this early on because he has a history of provocative posts.
Why dont you go back and read my original post from 9/10. Everything that I said he said to me has happened even after I posted it. He would take away my gravy work in his words and make me miserable. When have you ever heard of a van route receiving residential deliveries? I have gone from 1.5 hours of bonus to being over allowed all while maintaining the same stops per hour.

I don't care if you believe me or not! I am posting this on this site because it receives attention! Don't believe me, go to www.upsers.com and type in violence in the workplace. There is a PCm for the month of Oct that was updated a week after this post.

By posting here it is documented along with the grievances and complaints this way if a union hourly finds themselves in a bad position UPS cannot say they where not aware of this!

I don't care about working later, I will make more money filing 9.5s than what UPS's bonus system could pay me!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
By posting here it is documented along with the grievances and complaints this way if a union hourly finds themselves in a bad position UPS cannot say they where not aware of this!

I have yet to use or heard of anyone use anything from BC as documentation.....you are in way too deep..

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I have yet to use or heard of anyone use anything from BC as documentation.....you are in way too deep..

I think SteveTheUPSGuy would beg to differ in the wake of his suspension due to his postings on this site.
Apparently somebody from corporate monitors the contents of this site.
It seems to me this is what Red was trying to convey.
I would however agree that anything posted here is an opinion or an individuals interpretation of an event or issue and not necessarily gospel.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Im in way to deep? LMFAO!!!

Wait until all the lawsuits start flying against UPS for not only allowing this but doing a half ass investigation in an attempt to sweep it under the rug!

But after reading a lot of your posts it is no longer a surprise that this is how the company acts! Its a great thing that not every management person on this board is not like you and many of them have been very helpful in this thread or through PM to correct this behavior.

I understand that you don't like me and I sleep better at night knowing this, however how can you condone the tampons and other harassment that other drivers have gone through? The driver that had the tampons in his slot and was refused help with over 70s is now out on comp and this story has been told to the labor manager, safety manager, even liberty mutual along with UPS's doctors and everyone of them cant believe it. Yeah right! That's why nothing ever gets done until its too late. Ups only reacts to situations never do they correct them until its too late!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Your right I forgot about that issue with STUG.

I would however agree that anything posted here is an opinion or an individuals interpretation of an event or issue and not necessarily gospel.

Ditto on this statement. It would not hold up in court that UPS knew something was wrong because it was posted on BC. I can hear it now "Well, it was posted on the internet and they should have known"....

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I understand that you don't like me and I sleep better at night knowing this, however how can you condone the tampons and other harassment that other drivers have gone through? The driver that had the tampons in his slot

I have never posted that I didn't like you.

I never posted that I condone the tampon incident and other harrassment. Matter fact I cannot fathom why some one is adding fuel to the fire.

I was commenting on this little gem: By posting here it is documented

My reply: I can hear it now "Well, it was posted on the internet and they should have known"....

705red

Browncafe Steward
I understand that you don't like me and I sleep better at night knowing this, however how can you condone the tampons and other harassment that other drivers have gone through? The driver that had the tampons in his slot

I have never posted that I didn't like you.

I never posted that I condone the tampon incident and other harrassment. Matter fact I cannot fathom why some one is adding fuel to the fire.

I was commenting on this little gem: By posting here it is documented

My reply: I can hear it now "Well, it was posted on the internet and they should have known"....

UPS Lifer

Red,
Based on what you have stated, it sounds to me that a management investigation and possibly a change is probably warranted, especially because the other centers are not going through the same problems as your center is.

Posting the payroll (or any other document) and highlighting names is harassment unless all names are highlighted. Everyone has to be treated the same.

Following you every day is also harassment unless they follow every driver every day. You see where I am going with this.

I still say you should file the police report - I have not heard you say that you have done that. You should send a letter to your Region HR manager and Corporate HR using UPS letter so it can be tracked or return receipt with signature requested.

As you say - it is only your center - Have you tried sitting down with the Division Manager? Maybe he just does not realize how bad it really is in your center. If nothing else, it will show how complicit he is in the process, especially if he doe not "open the door" to you.

I like the idea about power in numbers. But not sure if BC is the right approach.

How many of your fellow drivers do you think you can get to sign a letter and send it to Corporate HR with all the different situations documented very concisely - (one liners with meat)?

Also - Where the hell is the union in all of this? It seems to me that your incident is now the tipping point and many things need to be addressed. There should be a least one BA and a steward hanging in your center questioning your fellow drivers and getting statements of the behavior you are talking about.

This will definitely get noticed by upper management. A good BA has enough power to sit down with the District Manager if necessary. You have already discussed all the outstanding grievances. The District Labor Manager may also need to be involved as well.

I really believe these are options that will get you noticed. It sounds to me that there needs to be a sit down with your management team and upper management and the drivers with action steps that address these issues. If handled properly, these are issues that can be fixed very easily.
Keep us informed...

Take this to your BA and not your steward. If they fail to represent you, you can take action against them as well.

bigblu 2 you

red, i hope you guys have pictures and witness statements{cell phones work good for documenting paperwork,diad messages,stuff left in diad slot,etc,} someone puts that crap in my slot and i will take a picture first and jam the diad in so hard they will have to sand blast those things out.i hope you get what you want out of this, i cant stand someone who abuses their authority. must have a hitler complex!