Shouldered by a supervisor

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I meet with 2 HR reps today, my manager and I had a steward present. Of course its all my fault because I should have never sworn and the blame was being put back on me by HR. They will cover it up and support their sup. I gave a list of names of witnesses to them to talk with. It appears maybe Tie was right and he was told to go after me from the way the interview went. How can a group of people that are suppose to be neutral in an attempt to get to the bottom of this, make remarks like "well that is the truth" and "thats not how it happened"?

I wasnt too impressed with how the interview was conducted, their minds are made up, and God help them if anything every happens because of their neglect! If an employee is put in a position to defend themselves or if this sup loses it and actually harms or kills an employee, we know who to blame!!!!!!

like I said - what comes around goes around. Did you really expect anything more......

QKRSTKR

Remember HR is for the company, not you. They are window dressing and that's all. As long as they don't think they are going to be sued or whatever else, they could care less. They are all to cover the companys butt. Nothing more.

Good luck man and try to enjoy your vacation. :happy2:

like I said and yes it's sad to say but the truth. They are for the company, not the employees.

NHDRVR

like I said and yes it's sad to say but the truth. They are for the company, not the employees.

As I quickly age doing this driving gig I realize more and more that if you are to survive, you are not for either the company or the union. You have to look out for yourself.

No one else will do it as well as me any ways...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As I quickly age doing this driving gig I realize more and more that if you are to survive, you are not for either the company or the union. You have to look out for yourself.

No one else will do it as well as me any ways...

Hard to argue with that ... I've never met a mgt person that made it to Grade 20 who was not in it totally for themselves. They might try to hide it but it was pretty obvious ... not that there is anything wrong with that. :wink2:

redshift1

Hard to argue with that ... I've never met a mgt person that made it to Grade 20 who was not in it totally for themselves. They might try to hide it but it was pretty obvious ... not that there is anything wrong with that. :wink2:

True for anybody who makes it to retirement at UPS

UPSroanoke1

UPSroanoke1
you must be a sup and you don't know your butt from a hole in the ground. Here we have a system if a complaint is filed the police have to take it to the Adult system in- take services and they will file agains the person in questions and if they feel there is danger to the other person at that time they will take the offender into the system and let the local judge make the decision. Tie guy you seem to have the right answer for everything. Next time I have a problem with one of my cases you seem like the guy i need to run to. No one and Mean No one should put up with such behavior form any employee. It does not matter if it happened on the street or at work the police will do the job as the law says and in most states he would have charges filed on him by the police, the police office have no chioce in the matter when it comes to issues of A&B.

UPS Lifer

Red,
I am just seeing this thread right now... I wish I saw it on the 10th.

EVEN AT THIS LATE DATE....
I would say for you to go and file a police report. Don't even think about it. After you file.... let your manager know. This will serve notice to the supervisor that you aren't playing games. My guess is that he will not bother you in the future.

This should not happen to any employee, BUT I take you at your word. As far as I am concerned that supervisor should be released. The problem is that may not happen because of the nature of how the violence occurred. But if nothing else, there needs to be a documented police report and in the future make sure you do not talk with this supervisor without someone else present. Push for this supervisor to be reassigned.

I really hate to say this but if his record is clean, this will only be considered strike one but it will be in his file and he will have to deal with it in the future if he screws up.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Red,
I am just seeing this thread right now... I wish I saw it on the 10th.

EVEN AT THIS LATE DATE....
I would say for you to go and file a police report. Don't even think about it. After you file.... let your manager know. This will serve notice to the supervisor that you aren't playing games. My guess is that he will not bother you in the future.

This should not happen to any employee, BUT I take you at your word. As far as I am concerned that supervisor should be released. The problem is that may not happen because of the nature of how the violence occurred. But if nothing else, there needs to be a documented police report and in the future make sure you do not talk with this supervisor without someone else present. Push for this supervisor to be reassigned.

I really hate to say this but if his record is clean, this will only be considered strike one but it will be in his file and he will have to deal with it in the future if he screws up.

A voice of reason in the darkness. While I appreciate everyones input on this, I especially think this was the way to go, and if you look at the final paragraph, that says it all. We have a file so do they. It is a job, it should not get personal. If Red swore it goes in his file, whoever says pushed who first, it goes in his file. There are witnesses. I take Red at his word, and I dont know him from ADAM, but We are all employees of UPS. As hard of a job as it is, violence should stay in the post office. We are better than this.

Overpaid Union Thug

There is no way in hell I would have let this go. That sup would not be employed at UPS anymore. The same applies to anyone else. It's my job and I, or anyone else, shouldn't have to put up with this crap.

QKRSTKR

So is this over Red? Did you ever follow up with the police? Just wondering. How was your week back at work. Have to guess there is a lot of tension. If you don't want to share anymore that cool.

Good luck man and I hope everything works out and your worklife can get back to as normal as it ever was before this incident.:peaceful:

705red

Browncafe Steward
So is this over Red? Did you ever follow up with the police? Just wondering. How was your week back at work. Have to guess there is a lot of tension. If you don't want to share anymore that cool.

Good luck man and I hope everything works out and your worklife can get back to as normal as it ever was before this incident.:peaceful:

I can assure you that this is far from over!!!!! The HR reps have NOT talked to anyone else since Tuesday. Locally it appears they are trying to cover it up. The union came in to discuss it and the manager could not be found. I'm holding back on some details for the time being, but I will tell you that since this happened the same sup has told an 30 plus year driver that he is too old to do this job and should quit. Now we also have age discrimination! Ups keeps racking up the charges and digging themselves in deeper.

Stay tuned, the information that I will post will blow your minds in the near future, just making sure I have everything documented before I post it.

UPS Lifer

Red,
Take this to the next level.... Don't deal with the center team, or HR Reps (supervisors). Ask to meet with the ERM - Employee Relations Manager and make sure there is a union official with you. I can guarantee you there will be those HR Reps with the ERM writing down everything that takes place. You need to have the same.

Once everything is written down and the ERM does the investigation and you see what remedy will be put in place then you can determine what the next step will be.

I still say if you file a complaint with the local PD you will get much quicker results and besides making a statement, the outcome should be more favorable to you.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have done everything here so far and nothing has been done! Lifer thanks for your advice and if corporate does not act on this soon I believe that I will have to defend myself here from this aggressive sup! No HR reps have been back to talk to my witnesses, however this sup some how got knowledge of who they where and he has questioned them about what happened.

On Monday I notified management again that I had too many airs, so this sup follows me in his own car stop to stop battering me the whole way. At 1028 am when he realized that I was going to have late air he drove away. He has been out to my route every day this week! I have only seen him once until all this happened over the last 9 months now its daily!

Yesterday I requested an 8 hour day because I had something to get to, now I deliver about 40 stops a day, yesterday they put 65 stops on me for over 600 pieces and a brand new loader to load my truck. The truck was a disaster! At 1210 pm I had a leaking package which happened to be a car battery filled with acid. I secured my vehicle and notified management immediately. He ca,e out in his own car once again and removed the package and wiped the floor of my truck.

I explained that its 1240 and I have 23 stops done now and 43 left for 200 pieces, he told me to pick up my pace. I told him I was going to lunch at 1pm until 210 and I started pick ups at 230 and I asked him should I sheet everything as missed or continue delivering. He asked why I didn't take my lunch during the time I was waiting for him, I replied because there is no where to eat here and I always take my lunch form 1 to 210 with my 10 minute break.

He tells me after lunch to just deliver and he would have my pick ups covered. He did my pick ups (which I have already grieved). I continued to deliver until I was finished, about 10 packages did not get delivered because companies closed. Now I drive a 24 ft van and he put a split of residential on me to deliver after pick ups. Now I have a hard time fitting my pick ups daily as is and now on a 8 hour request day I get res?

My dispatch for the day was 7.5 hours because he did the pick ups, so he dispatched me on an industrial route with 7.5 hours of deliveries knowing that I only have 4 hours of delivery window with my lunch before pick ups which took me 9.5 hours to do because of the load. On top of it he forced a couple customers to close out their end of day because he was not waiting past their scheduled time. I have encouraged the customers to call the 800 number and file a corporate compliant! They could not believe that he was a sup! And neither can any of the drivers in the North center out of the Palatine building!

Here's some things that we have to deal with at our center, operation reports with drivers names highlighted and circled saying least best drivers.

Close to a dozen harassment grievances.

We had a driver that called in asking for assistance with over 70s and came back to the building to find tampons stuck in his diad slot.

We has a driver that was threatened to be stabbed to death.

And now a driver (me) shouldered by a sup!

Its obvious that we are not safe at work for UPS and now we could possibly have to be forced to defend ourselves in the near future. Its a good thing that everything that I have mentioned is documented in a grievance, this way we can at least show an arbitrator that look we have tried to correct these issues but UPS has forced us to protect ourselves.

We have 9 drivers right now on workers comp or taw, we have a whole loop of drivers out! This is out of 77 drivers. We have over 3 dozen 9.5 grievances open and this week alone 6 8 hour request grievances for not honoring them. Sounds to me like we need a management change and quick before someone really gets hurt here!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have done everything here so far and nothing has been done! Lifer thanks for your advice and if corporate does not act on this soon I believe that I will have to defend myself here from this aggressive sup! No HR reps have been back to talk to my witnesses, however this sup some how got knowledge of who they where and he has questioned them about what happened.

On Monday I notified management again that I had too many airs, so this sup follows me in his own car stop to stop battering me the whole way. At 1028 am when he realized that I was going to have late air he drove away. He has been out to my route every day this week! I have only seen him once until all this happened over the last 9 months now its daily!

Yesterday I requested an 8 hour day because I had something to get to, now I deliver about 40 stops a day, yesterday they put 65 stops on me for over 600 pieces and a brand new loader to load my truck. The truck was a disaster! At 1210 pm I had a leaking package which happened to be a car battery filled with acid. I secured my vehicle and notified management immediately. He ca,e out in his own car once again and removed the package and wiped the floor of my truck.

I explained that its 1240 and I have 23 stops done now and 43 left for 200 pieces, he told me to pick up my pace. I told him I was going to lunch at 1pm until 210 and I started pick ups at 230 and I asked him should I sheet everything as missed or continue delivering. He asked why I didn't take my lunch during the time I was waiting for him, I replied because there is no where to eat here and I always take my lunch form 1 to 210 with my 10 minute break.

He tells me after lunch to just deliver and he would have my pick ups covered. He did my pick ups (which I have already grieved). I continued to deliver until I was finished, about 10 packages did not get delivered because companies closed. Now I drive a 24 ft van and he put a split of residential on me to deliver after pick ups. Now I have a hard time fitting my pick ups daily as is and now on a 8 hour request day I get res?

My dispatch for the day was 7.5 hours because he did the pick ups, so he dispatched me on an industrial route with 7.5 hours of deliveries knowing that I only have 4 hours of delivery window with my lunch before pick ups which took me 9.5 hours to do because of the load. On top of it he forced a couple customers to close out their end of day because he was not waiting past their scheduled time. I have encouraged the customers to call the 800 number and file a corporate compliant! They could not believe that he was a sup! And neither can any of the drivers in the North center out of the Palatine building!

Here's some things that we have to deal with at our center, operation reports with drivers names highlighted and circled saying least best drivers.

Close to a dozen harassment grievances.

We had a driver that called in asking for assistance with over 70s and came back to the building to find tampons stuck in his diad slot.

We has a driver that was threatened to be stabbed to death.

And now a driver (me) shouldered by a sup!

Its obvious that we are not safe at work for UPS and now we could possibly have to be forced to defend ourselves in the near future. Its a good thing that everything that I have mentioned is documented in a grievance, this way we can at least show an arbitrator that look we have tried to correct these issues but UPS has forced us to protect ourselves.

We have 9 drivers right now on workers comp or taw, we have a whole loop of drivers out! This is out of 77 drivers. We have over 3 dozen 9.5 grievances open and this week alone 6 8 hour request grievances for not honoring them. Sounds to me like we need a management change and quick before someone really gets hurt here!

Red, this is a on car sup..right? What is your center manager saying about all of this? Not that it matters but what is the age of this sup? Sorry your dealing with this...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well I'm sure you have your apologists but crying wolf so many times makes your tale of abuse hard to fathom.
Why dont you tell us what you know that we dont. As a driver I see this as mgmt sticking up for this kind of behavior, or a ptimer that has had to wait to go ft. Either way it is ridiculous. Just who are you, if he is lieing why would he post knowing the power of Brown cafe. Yes we finally have somewhere to come together and ask for advice!
A tampon in a diad slot? Threats, not good, do you want this company to becomes Postal? It does not need to, just a few people with cooler heads, to investigate.
This violence in the workplace is unacceptable for UPS. Follow us all you want, if I tell you air is going to be late and you disappear, it doesnt make it get there on time. It becomes an issue when Mgmt, has their hands tied, and you cannot do what is being asked of you and mgmt knows it.
I dont know about Chicago, but I know here we all help each other as best we can, and that is how we make it. Sometimes we cant help, we are all buried.
We can no longer expect the sup to fix it as they cant put a pt driver on road for numbers sake. So the numbers are going to suck. When and if you deliver air and nothing else and manage to do it by commit, you have 1 1/2 hrs to deliver priority customers, where you have already been, but you cant deliver it all as you have more air, and then at 1030 you begin again. and since you still are human, you need to break, or you are going to make mistakes. And that is what I see, expecting us to go balls to the wall, screw our health, pack a lunch and eat while you drive down the road. It is madness.
Im thinking a letter writing campaign to Atlanta, shut down their phone lines, and email.