Special treatment to shop stewart.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
One of the biggest challenges of being a steward is to remember that you wear more than one hat.

I am on friendly terms with many of the management people I work for. I will come into the office and chat with them, make jokes etc. But when its time to represent a member, I have to take that "friend" hat off and put the "steward" hat on because the relationship is now by definition adversarial. And once the meeting is over and the business has been resolved...I have to take that "steward" hat back off again because when I leave the gate and get to my first stop in the morning, I have to be wearing my "professional employee" hat. The customers I deal with do not need to know about any labor issues that are occuring in the office, they just need a professional to provide them the service they are paying for.

Friends are friends, the contract is the contract, and business is business. Its important to keep them seperate.

Well said Sober, maybe some of these haters will understand a bit more of what we have to do day in and day out!!!

grgrcr88

i`ll be the first to say it that stewards don`t get the respect they deserve until someones screwed and then they`re their best buddy (save me, save me). I also know they will get m.friend`d behind their back if they don`t run off and file or get in mgmts face for every chicken shiz reason regardless of how stupid it is.

So,grgrcr88,705red,the other stewards on here,my guys big e,hulkster,towey,and the rest. Thank you!

Thanks,I appreciate it.

tieguy

Banned
I noticed in our bldg. that management gave our shop stewards a special treatment like going out with less stops, asking for a day off any day and etc... Is your bldg. have the same treatment with our building.

most of the better stewards I knew , knew the contract and knew how to work it to their advantage.

grgrcr88

most of the better stewards I knew , knew the contract and knew how to work it to their advantage.

This is why more people should get involved with their Local Union. The more knowledge you have the more powerful we all become. The Union is only as strong as its members!!

tieguy

Banned
This is why more people should get involved with their Local Union. The more knowledge you have the more powerful we all become. The Union is only as strong as its members!!

I actually agree. some of my time has been spent educating people who argue concepts that are not in the contract. you see some of it here.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I`ll be the first to say it that stewards don`t get the respect they deserve until someones screwed and then they`re their best buddy (save me, save me). I also know they will get m.friend`d behind their back if they don`t run off and file or get in mgmts face for every chicken shiz reason regardless of how stupid it is.

So,grgrcr88,705red,the other stewards on here,my guys Big E,Hulkster,Towey,and the rest. Thank You!
Cach thank you and you are welcome. We appreciate a thank you every now and than.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
At no time EVER,EVER,EVER, should one grievance be traded for another, That only leads to problems, not to mention the posibility of opening up the Union to improper representation suits.
I guess you never went to the panel?

Trade offs happen all the time. Union brings four discharge cases, behind the scenes they agree to take three back, but uphold the fourth. Or other such dealings. OF course that is before arbitrators get involved. And the union knows that in a lot of cases, if all four go to arbitration, all four might as well pack up and go home. So yes, deals get made at all levels of the game.

As a steward, I never got any special treatment. Very rarely did I ever get help, usually it was the other way around, they wanted me to help someone else. 90% of the time, I was the LDI. Not by choice either.

As sober said, while I had a working relationship with management, it was one of mutual respect. I understood where they were coming from, and they understood that I had a job to do, and usually was pretty successful. Only times I failed was when the employee decided to proceed on their own path. As has been posted, you cant fix stupid.

There are at least 20 drivers working there now that could/should have been fired but weren't, many for dishonesty, falsification issues etc. All, with a different management team would now not have jobs at UPS.

As Tie said, a good steward not only has to know the book, but also know how to play. And some of the plays were unconventional, but worked. I was never too good to beg if that is what it took to get the driver back to work.

One last thing. Things are not always what they can appear to be, at first glance. As a steward, I never got one cent more than the drivers I represented, but yet many nights put in several hours or more on the defense of the driver. Hours that were unpaid.

d

over9five

Staff member

Trade offs happen all the time.

d

I know trade-offs happen all the time. But I have to wonder if we're trading good grievances to save the jobs of people that deserve to be fired. If that's what is happening, then it's not right.

grgrcr88

d

I have been to multiple panels, every case has been and always will be heard or settled on its own merit. At least in our neck of the woods, how the hell you gonna go tell some guys wife and kids that sorry, we decided to trade your lively hood for someone elses. Its ok though, the better man kept his job???

B/S if you are doing that shame on you!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have been to multiple panels, every case has been and always will be heard or settled on its own merit. At least in our neck of the woods, how the hell you gonna go tell some guys wife and kids that sorry, we decided to trade your lively hood for someone elses. Its ok though, the better man kept his job???

B/S if you are doing that shame on you!![/QUOTE

Most of the guys at panel already threatened their lively hood. Do the damn job correctly. BM

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
every case has been and always will be heard or settled on its own merit

Yup, on the surface it appears that way.

Just like it seems that all business deals are done in the board room.

But you would be surprised at the deals done on the golf course, or back room over lunch.

Pretty naive on your part.

Re Read my post, did I say that I traded one job for another? So shame on you for not reading properly.

Quite a while back, one of the top teamsters (the top at small package) at a national hearing, traded a grievance of mine at the panel to get a guy back to work, supposedly a good employee that UPS had in its cross-hairs. As a consequence, we now have to endure the “where can I buy UPS socks” threads on this site every month or so. The grievance was pretty much a lock, but I agreed to let it drop in exchange for the guy’s job. I hope he made the most of his second chance.

To me, having been a driver that UPS tried to paint as guilty and fire many years ago, I know the trauma that goes with losing your job. I also know how beholding I would be to someone that would drop their grievance so I could get my job back. Lucky for me though, some overlooked evidence by UPS proved that their “proof” was only guesswork by a very lazy and dishonest LP man.

But I have to wonder if we're trading good grievances to save the jobs of people that deserve to be fired
As a rule, UPS does not want to fire any employee without just cause. It just does not make business sense. After spending all that time training not to mention all the paper work involved with a new hire, they are much better off keeping those employees that actually want to work.

Some of the drivers involved have been deserving of being fired for quite a while. Like that steward that lost his job at the panel because he stated UPS did not have the right to enforce production standards and to hold him accountable for his work. Remember? They lowered his standards and he agreed that that level of production was fair, but then dropped another 15% on his production again.

From what I have seen, those are the employees UPS wants gone. They will offer to the union to bring back several others that have made poor judgment calls that have been fired for just reasons, but otherwise have had good long careers at UPS.

In the cases I have seen, if taken before an arbitrator, all of the terminations would be upheld. So it is not really a trade off per say. Its more of a salvage effort.

Kinda like the Coast Guard doing a rescue. Without them deciding who goes and who stays behind, all will die. So some will die so others can live. And while this is not really the best example, as people being rescued usually don’t put themselves at risk on purpose, the end result is the same.

But at the same time, when offered a deal for an employee that has been fired to be able to return to work, it is up to the union to weigh all of the options and make a calculated call as to the outcome. Some of this involves risk. But many are a sure bet, if the company wants to push the issue.

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Reread his post, he agrees with you as do I. He is saying that the stewards dont get any "special treatment" other than help with commit pkgs when they are delayed in the AM for steward duties, which is an operational necessity.

He does everything he can about it. I use to work with Just_another_day_at_work. He follows the contract to the letter. He files on every violation, Takes all his breaks, and does his job properly. If every employee in that building ( 4 centers ) did their job like him, there would be a lot more jobs available. Sometimes you guys need to understand the everyone doesn't have English as a first language. Their post may read a bit different some times.
I see it now and am sorry for coming off harshly to an undeserving poster. It was meant for the numerous drivers that I work next to that run their mouths without ever taking their hands out of their pockets. By the way English is my only language so I'll try to be more diligent in the interpratation process of the more cryptic posts. I am considering taking a class to learn Mexican.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I see it now and am sorry for coming off harshly to an undeserving poster. It was meant for the numerous drivers that I work next to that run their mouths without ever taking their hands out of their pockets. By the way English is my only language so I'll try to be more diligent in the interpratation process of the more cryptic posts. I am considering taking a class to learn Mexican.
Hey Bub.............. I don't think they have any classes to learn Mexican, but you can take a class to learn Spanish. :wink2:

Hey Bub.............. I don't think they have any classes to learn Mexican:wink2:

I strongly disagree. I myself have a Masters Degree in studying this Mexican

untitled-1.jpg