SPORH Harrassment

C

chuchu

These people look in the mirror and their perception and belief is they are truly giving a great work day in exchange for great pay and benefits.
I took a customer from FedEx who shipped $150,000 in ground pkgs per year, insured hi values that we charged them $3000.00 extra per day and graduated to shipping three semi loads of sonic air daily by developing a professional relationship with them and getting the support they needed to make their job easier. I also won the division's premium service contest twice in the first 5 yrs I worked as a ft driver.
I care about ups, it's success and the company's future. I never even got a thank you or "great job" said to me by the division manager who was camping out in our center for a short time. I worked hard to land those accounts because I was proud to be a ups driver. Recognition for the extra mile effort is lacking quite often but us drivers do (for the most part) what we do to take special care of our customers because we care about them. Management (minus BD) has no clue how many of our customers have the bid drivers cell number in case they need something.
There's a lot of hourly that go the extra mile because of those relationships we have with our customers. They are the ones that make it worth the extra effort.
Our businesses growth and steadfast customer base has A LOT to do with the relationships we've developed over years of putting them first in our daily routine. UPS's commercials often depict those relationships and foster that special relationship between our customers and our drivers. If the customers only knew how we are treated they would shake their heads in disbelief.
I'm sorry some management feels that we are overpaid crybabies but our customers look at us as family. That alone cancels out all the dragon fire we endure. Are we perfect? No. But most all of us could benefit from a "good job" now and then. That probably applies to management folks too.
I don't need more things to memorize as much as I need a good load and the encouragement to go out on the street and provide the excellent service we at ups are known for. Just sayin.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I took a customer from FedEx who shipped $150,000 in ground pkgs per year, insured hi values that we charged them $3000.00 extra per day and graduated to shipping three semi loads of sonic air daily by developing a professional relationship with them and getting the support they needed to make their job easier. I also won the division's premium service contest twice in the first 5 yrs I worked as a ft driver.
I care about ups, it's success and the company's future. I never even got a thank you or "great job" said to me by the division manager who was camping out in our center for a short time. I worked hard to land those accounts because I was proud to be a ups driver. Recognition for the extra mile effort is lacking quite often but us drivers do (for the most part) what we do to take special care of our customers because we care about them. There's a lot of hourly that go the extra mile because of those relationships we have with our customers. They are the ones that make it worth the extra effort.
Our businesses growth and steadfast customer base has A LOT to do with the relationships we've developed over years of putting them first in our daily routine. UPS's commercials often depict those relationships and foster that special relationship between our customers and our drivers. If the customers only knew how we are treated they would shake their heads in disbelief.
I'm sorry some management feels that we are overpaid crybabies but our customers look at us as family. That alone cancels out all the dragon fire we endure. Are we perfect? No. But most all of us could benefit from a "good job" now and then. That probably applies to management folks too.
I don't need more things to memorize as much as I need a good load and the encouragement to go out on the street and provide the excellent service we at ups are known for. Just sayin.

OK

Not sure what this has to do with my post.

Just saying.

Give that some thought.

100% is perfect with no wasted time, no mistakes.
​No one can be 100% and definitionally cannot be greater than 100%.

Then how can an operation feasibly run at 104%. It's ups numbers, right? Then someone can show -1.50 on the WOR with a 10 hour dispatch. They would be at almost 118%

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Then how can an operation feasibly run at 104%. It's ups numbers, right? Then someone can show -1.50 on the WOR with a 10 hour dispatch. They would be at almost 118%

That is percent effective which is based on a 24% additive to allow for inefficiencies and imperfect knowledge.
It is a measurement tool.

Giving 100% implies perfection and total effort.

​Even UPS doesn't expect anything close to that.

That is percent effective which is based on a 24% additive to allow for inefficiencies and imperfect knowledge.
It is a measurement tool.

Giving 100% implies perfection and total effort.

​Even UPS doesn't expect anything close to that.

How many TMU's does it take to walk a 200 foot driveway with 2 packages? One weighs 6 lbs the other weighs 162 lbs. there are two gates, the first one is a 16 foot wide gate that rolls outwards. The second one is a pedestrian gate that swings inward. There are 8 stairs to the covered porch.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How many TMU's does it take to walk a 200 foot driveway with 2 packages? One weighs 6 lbs the other weighs 162 lbs. there are two gates, the first one is a 16 foot wide gate that rolls outwards. The second one is a pedestrian gate that swings inward. There are 8 stairs to the covered porch.

I have the book to actually figure that if I cared to calculate that. LOL

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Clueless,

Better check with some Local 804 Arbitrations that Ups Package Drivers LOST their jobs for Believing people like Dracula --cloudy days --sunny days whatever.

I do not always agree with Upstate ---If you can look in the mirror and the person you see in there is truly giving a great work day in exchange for great pay and benefits --relax --you are fine.

In Dracula's demented world --He actually believes that this applies to 100% of Union Brothers.

It is childish and not the REAL world ---Everyone knows at least one lazy slacker.
I believe the 80 -20 concept does not apply to UPS. From my three decades of experience --on "BOTH" sides of the fence ---I truly know that 90% of UPS people are Honest and VERY hard working---That here is about 10 percent --the loudest --have to be dealt with --- for everyones job and security----Just a true FACT ----unless you drink too much Kool aid and wear rose colored glasses and do not live in or recognize basic human nature and the REALITY of the world.:sad-little:

For the union reps that agreed with Dracula just because you have some "vendetta" against Upstate --shame on you --You know the job ---sure there are some Management Jerks ---but you honestly know --there are some drivers you represent are lazy low -lifes. For a Steward to deny this --you may actually hurt someone --with VERY bad advice !!:sick:

AH my demented world. Never heard that before. Hahaha.

Nothing applies to 100% of union brothers. You are proof of that.

Yes, I know plenty of slackers. They sit in their offices doing everything they can think of to justify their jobs. Good thing guys like you come along to make them believe they are on the right track. You make their jobs so much easier.

Childish and not the real world? Hmm. I'm in feeders. Childish and acting like you're not in the real world can cause serious problems for the driver and everyone around said driver. In package car, you've got a little more leeway concerning safety than you do in feeders, but the the pressure and the unrealistic expectations are more intense in the Buster Browns. I've not forgotten that fact.

But the fat guys and the sweaty guys still deal with the same management system.

The management system that commands dictates from a comfortable perch, is high above the "real world". The same system that takes over ten years and over a billion dollars of shareholder's money on a system that still doesn't do what it was intended to do, and it's best result, was to tell the media that, "Our drivers do not make left turns anymore."

Save miles? Only the drivers do that. They do it on their own. The only time Orion might help is when they get a common sense dispatch. And how many years ago was that?

Look at it anyway you'd like, but all driver expectations come from Wall Street, in one way or another. Some shill in his $5000 suit writes a number down on a memo, and passes it on down--yes, down--the line. That number is to be obeyed, worshiped and ultimately, carried out.

No matter what it does to the daily operations. Every suit on this forum knows this for a fact.

If I had a nickel for every time a sup told me, "I don't know why, I don't understand it, just DO IT!", the foundation of my house would have sunk 5 feet from the weight.

I relied in this thread: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/power-gray-353474/ about how UPS no longer requires driver sups, whether it's in PC or feeders to have any driving experience. Now, in my opinion, this is smart from a management in that they create a blind barrier between the driver and his sup. In my feeder department, all of our on-road sups came from the hub, dispatch or off the street. But don't worry, they know everything.

A sup without experience doesn't question an order from above, because he has little clue on what the consequences of such an order might entail.

This is ideal from an upper management perspective.

In the past, the sups who had driving experience had a good idea what could work and what couldn't. Those days are gone. Now some Wall Street schmuck has as much power what happens as anyone in operations. Maybe not on an everyday basis, but in the bigger picture? There is no doubt.

And because some of these fine stewards agree with me? You got it backwards, pal. They don't agree with me anymore than I agree with them. We are just on the same page. We understand we DO do a good job. We understand that our work is very consistent, and that we just refuse to shuck and jive to an ever moving target. We understand that if we file a grievance because a supervisor gives us direction that could obviously have negative implications, whether that is safety, customer dissatisfaction or violates our rights.

It is never easy, but standing up for yourself pays long dividends. Even if that is Greek to you.

And who has a vendetta against Upstate? I don't. So what if someone calls him Nancy? I don't hate anyone here, but if you think I'm--and many others--are going to stand quietly while some condescending know-it-all tries to push others around with his opinions, well, sir, you are sadly mistaken.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do you think there is a driver anywhere that's working 100% any day everyday?

Spoken like an IE rep. Clueless. The problem with guys like you is that you dont understand what 100% means. To YOU, it means accepting some bogus number and when its not hit, that automatically means the driver is not working 100%.

In reality, todays drivers are working 110%, because it takes 110% to fix the disasters that you management types create on a daily basis.

When todays driver punches in, he already knows he is screwed for the day with TOO much work, and when he/she gets to the package car, it gets worse as the load is unworthy of a professional drivers time. The driver already knows they will have to FIX the load once the NDA is completed just to have a CHANCE at completing the day at a reasonable hour, allbeit late in the evening.

There is no worse feeling than knowing at 845am that you will NOT return to the building before 9pm that evening. Whats even worse is that ONE look at dispatch and the driver knows, but the "managers" are looking at those same numbers for 4 hours and they cant figure that out beforehand.

Its an amazing paradigm. When the same manager rides on car during an OJS, they make a determination of how much work is acceptable for a 9.5 day by demonstration, lets say thats 125 stops plus 30 pickups. This analysis they prefer to call "a lockin". Then, Atlanta sends the numbers to the PDS who immediately cuts cars and destroys that analysis and places 160 stops on the car and 10 extra pickups from the car next door that was disolved. Then, when the affected driver comes in at 930 with volume (500/700 pu pieces) the twilight manager goes beserk and tries to give the drivers GRIEF as if they had any control over it

Then, the next morning, the center manager is calling you in the office to ask you... "did something happen yesterday that caused you to run so late?" ... like he was absolutely clueless to the jacked up dispatch he sent you out with the previous day.

This is what drivers face in todays UPS.

TO someone out of the loop, or involved in todays UPS system, it always falls back onto the drivers to save money.

Now we have another P.O.S. system coming down the road out of IE called ORION. This will be another program that will increase mileage, decrease spohr, increase send agains and service fail packages all in one day, everyday for every week.

Tons of money thrown into this system in an attempt to fix a problem they created with other programs half thought out.

The people who YOU should be concerning yourself with doing 100% of what they are supposed to be doing everyday are the managers and supervisors at UPS. These are the employees who are failing this company. The ultimate result of hiring YES men.

Peace

TOS.

pretender

Island lives in a world where there are no clouds in the sky, where trust is a given and if your lips are super-glued to management's ass, your lenses remain rose-colored.

"your spc will be adjusted--Whats right is right."

Haha, that's spoken like a true lamb.

I have no idea what Wonderland you live in, but it's a lot different from what the rest of us live in.

And you think management, out of the generosity of their hearts is going to adjust your loads because you filed a 9.5 grievance?

You've never actually held a grievance in your hand, have you?

It's men people like you who give all good Teamsters a black eye.

Pathetic, simply pathetic.

Regardless if you like or agree with Upstate, it is not men like him who give all good Teamsters a black eye...

Last edited:

upschuck

6lb package through the ped gate up the stairs, del on porch, 162lb package get returned to center for being overweight, not touching that package.

Nimnim

The Nim
Regardless if you like or agree with Upstate, it is not men like him who give all good Teamsters a black eye...

Yeah, Upstate can be an ass here, but he's always shown to care for the customer which is who we really work for.

A little more on the argument that isn't necessarily on topic to the OP, but yeah there's plenty of hourly teamsters who willingly don't put forth anywhere close to 100%, it's not the majority, but those are the people who stick out in peoples memories. I know contractually we don't accept management standards and a fair days work and all that, but I'm sure almost every one of you who reads this can think of someone who puts forth the least effort they can, sandbagging or whatever you want to call it, and used article 37 to protect themselves while the rest of us actually put in an honest days work, which does vary by person and assignment, and gets judged negatively because others see the person who purposely doesn't give a fair days and they're the one people remember.

upschuck

We have a couple drivers that get in at 3:30 to 4, and will not go the extra mile for the customer. If it doesn't have the exact correct address on the package, then its NSN, MOV, NAN, even if they have delivered to that place hundreds, or thousands times before. All they care about is getting in early, and scream if they are out past 5.

island1fox

:wink2:I realize threads can get off topic --I am also guilty.

The main point of this tread was SPOR harassment ----Simply stated if you are doing the job ----you can easily stop the Harrassment .
If you are a slacker ---one way or the other --it will eventually be worked out.

Now off topic --just depends on where you are in life. I am a 36 yr of Service -retired ups'er.

"Older Drivers"--Upsers and Teamsters --always told me how tough the job was --when they were out there--long days --furniture deliveries --paper delivery records with carbon paper--wet frozen ink pens -leaving the barn every day because the belt to bin to car preload always ended late --dispatched with "piece count" loads --four to five hundred packages --crushed into a p400 with net-edge load packages in the front --and orange bulk cards for all the bulk out of the back.
P400's with piss in the safes --that you had to collect thousands of dollars in singles for COD'S---paper yellow call tags, paper one shots --never counted in stop total-paper driver tracers --same OJS and over supervision ---with real supervisors who drove for many years--long wool pants in the hot muggy summers--scheduled "fur call" pickups and Saturday specials in many areas --guilty till proven innocent --dopey mgrs. --with the power to fire or suspend immediately --a union that was slow to spend money on lawyers and arbitration --no grievance panels --They could go on and on and on. Lower pay and less benefits etc etc

I always listened with respect. I was always thankful they passed on a profitable solid Company that provided me with a job with good pay and benefits.
I never referred to them as "relics"

When some of you retire -- --you will see it the same way.
When Drivers are complaining about "beaming" their deliveries and how sore it makes their thumbs ---calling you "relics" and "out of touch" "Do not know how hard it is to work at UPS.
Never DISRESPECT the older --wiser --been there done it Retired UPS'er ---It will be you one day --No doubt about it !!!

Thank you to all the hard working UPS people of today for allowing me to continue to enjoy my retirement ---you too TOS !!:peaceful:

:wink2:I realize threads can get off topic --I am also guilty.

The main point of this tread was SPOR harassment ----Simply stated if you are doing the job ----you can easily stop the Harrassment .
If you are a slacker ---one way or the other --it will eventually be worked out.

Now off topic --just depends on where you are in life. I am a 36 yr of Service -retired ups'er.

"Older Drivers"--Upsers and Teamsters --always told me how tough the job was --when they were out there--long days --furniture deliveries --paper delivery records with carbon paper--wet frozen ink pens -leaving the barn every day because the belt to bin to car preload always ended late --dispatched with "piece count" loads --four to five hundred packages --crushed into a p400 with net-edge load packages in the front --and orange bulk cards for all the bulk out of the back.
P400's with piss in the safes --that you had to collect thousands of dollars in singles for COD'S---paper yellow call tags, paper one shots --never counted in stop total-paper driver tracers --same OJS and over supervision ---with real supervisors who drove for many years--long wool pants in the hot muggy summers--scheduled "fur call" pickups and Saturday specials in many areas --guilty till proven innocent --dopey mgrs. --with the power to fire or suspend immediately --a union that was slow to spend money on lawyers and arbitration --no grievance panels --They could go on and on and on. Lower pay and less benefits etc etc

I always listened with respect. I was always thankful they passed on a profitable solid Company that provided me with a job with good pay and benefits.
I never referred to them as "relics"

When some of you retire -- --you will see it the same way.
When Drivers are complaining about "beaming" their deliveries and how sore it makes their thumbs ---calling you "relics" and "out of touch" "Do not know how hard it is to work at UPS.
Never DISRESPECT the older --wiser --been there done it Retired UPS'er ---It will be you one day --No doubt about it !!!

Thank you to all the hard working UPS people of today for allowing me to continue to enjoy my retirement ---you too TOS !!:peaceful:
what's your favorite food beer and vacation spot????