Station money

NC man

Anyone know how much Sr mgrs get to do stuff for employees. If you look on fedex FB pages you see wide array almost nothing to stuff every day in Dec.
Just curious what company gives for this purpose

McFeely

Huge Member
Not sure but I feel like my station is in the bottom percentage of what is offered to couriers in peak meals, etc.

I also wondered about BZ money a while back. I feel like at one point I heard each station gets a BZ stipend each month but I think it’s been much longer than a year since I’ve even heard of one being given out.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Anyone know how much Sr mgrs get to do stuff for employees. If you look on fedex FB pages you see wide array almost nothing to stuff every day in Dec.
Once upon a time, stations were given a set amount per employee, per month, let’s say $8.50 for “employee appreciation” events or to save for Christmas time. I have no idea if they even still do that now. It could be individual SMs doing it.

I know at my last station my SM used to treat us well at Christmas. We were given a menu of food for the two weeks prior to Peak. At the station I retired from, our SM did it on a smaller scale.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I asked a Managing Director at a workgroup meeting years ago. He claimed there is no such budget from corporate, that SM’s can budget for it from their station budget.

SmithBarney

I asked a Managing Director at a workgroup meeting years ago. He claimed there is no such budget from corporate, that SM’s can budget for it from their station budget.
BS:
Had a senior tell us the opposite, he said if he doesn't spend his Station $ and BZ allocation he gets "spoken too" while it might not be a line item in the budget, it is expected to be spent to keep "morale up" honestly for the $10 in under cooked chicken biscuits, and sugary morning diabetes treats.. I'd rather the $10 extra in my check. as for the BZs well they are handed out in secret to the same CSAs over and over again.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
BS:
Had a senior tell us the opposite, he said if he doesn't spend his Station $ and BZ allocation he gets "spoken too" while it might not be a line item in the budget, it is expected to be spent to keep "morale up"
I was expected to give out money BZ and feed people when I was an ops manager. There was never any mention of a budget, just an expectation that we were to keep people fed and recognize performance that was worthy of recognition. Once I gave a guy a $25 BZ for being on time the entire month.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was expected to give out money BZ and feed people when I was an ops manager. There was never any mention of a budget, just an expectation that we were to keep people fed and recognize performance that was worthy of recognition. Once I gave a guy a $25 BZ for being on time the entire month.
Wow! I wish I had gotten BZs for punctuality. I was almost always on time, except when there was bad snow.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I once had a manager give me a plaque for Employee of the Month. It really meant nothing because I knew I hadn’t done anything differently. I guess it was just my turn. Lol. It was kind of like an “everyone gets a trophy” moment. Waste of money.

59 Dano

Wow! I wish I had gotten BZs for punctuality. I was almost always on time, except when there was bad snow.
It was a big deal for that guy.
I once had a manager give me a plaque for Employee of the Month. It really meant nothing because I knew I hadn’t done anything differently. I guess it was just my turn. Lol. It was kind of like an “everyone gets a trophy” moment. Waste of money.
Some people complain if the same people get it too frequently. My philosophy is that if they earn it, they get it. I hate that "Let's give it everyone at some point" crap.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Same here. I was always at least 10-15 minutes early every day. Lots of others showing up at the last minute or even after that. Wasn’t chasing a BZ, I just needed coffee.

Maui

On this one it really depends. When it come to BZ some MD are very strict with money and others require all managers to give them out. There is an account Employee Morale and Team building that has a budget for events, food, etc. There is in fact an amount that is usually allotted during peak that comes from that fund. Some SM adhere to this closely. Others make sure there is plenty for peak. When you MD is very strict with spending throughout the year some SM just keep that going during peak. At peak $8-10/per employee is reasonable, but some people are just cheap. The more you do the more you need to mix expensive things and low cost options.

I am of the philosophy that you should spend and get nicer things during peak. I've bought beyond what the SM planned and got questioned late. I don't care. It's 2 weeks plus mandatory 6th days and I make sure we have something.

Some MD push the Seniors to spend and get something nice. I've had directors say make sure you're getting something for a given day and follow it up with it needs to be nice and a step up. I look for any chance to get something. If there was bad lineal - sometimes that meant a manager would go get something small knowing it would turn into a long day. While some employees complain about everything most appreciate it showing care and concern.

NC man

After seeing different stations post on FB,some got great stuff others not so much,if money is allocated what happens to funds not spent for this purpose.one station had something every day including food truck while others got little and not every day for sure.

falcon back

After seeing different stations post on FB,some got great stuff others not so much,if money is allocated what happens to funds not spent for this purpose.one station had something every day including food truck while others got little and not every day for sure.
Dude you retired. Who cares where the money goes.

59 Dano

On this one it really depends. When it come to BZ some MD are very strict with money and others require all managers to give them out. There is an account Employee Morale and Team building that has a budget for events, food, etc. There is in fact an amount that is usually allotted during peak that comes from that fund. Some SM adhere to this closely. Others make sure there is plenty for peak. When you MD is very strict with spending throughout the year some SM just keep that going during peak. At peak $8-10/per employee is reasonable, but some people are just cheap. The more you do the more you need to mix expensive things and low cost options.

I am of the philosophy that you should spend and get nicer things during peak. I've bought beyond what the SM planned and got questioned late. I don't care. It's 2 weeks plus mandatory 6th days and I make sure we have something.

Some MD push the Seniors to spend and get something nice. I've had directors say make sure you're getting something for a given day and follow it up with it needs to be nice and a step up. I look for any chance to get something. If there was bad lineal - sometimes that meant a manager would go get something small knowing it would turn into a long day. While some employees complain about everything most appreciate it showing care and concern.
Our director at that time was pretty strict about it and he wanted us spending money. He never mentioned a budget and when I asked my senior about how much or how often was too much or too often, he said not to worry about it - they'd tell us to ease up if we did it too much.

That director had the reputation of a hardass (undeserved; he didn't listen to excuses) but he was probably the most people oriented director I've known. Spend all the money you want on whatever makes them happy, but you'd better deliver - that was his motto.

Some seniors don't spend squat when I KNOW their director's don't have a problem with it. That ticks me off when the director will approve it no questions asked and the senior won't do it. Can't take it with you, it's not yours, and there's nothing to be gained by not doing it.

Maui

It just doesn't get used. It's in something called checkbook which SM has so little control over big items like building maintenance and rentals so they try to limit travel and entertainment. Team building and morale rolls up to that item.

Most of what you saw on FB was in LA Empire. I know for a fact that the MD wants the Senior focused on people. It's the least we can do after working in this pandemic environment for 20 months. If I was at a station that didn't do much I would regularly ask what was being done for - Valentine's, Mother's Day, Father's Day and ask early and often about peak meals.