Sups doing bargaining unit work

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Interested in what is happening out there. In this economy how bad is it ?
On the sort,preload,unload various shifts,Are the sups doing a lot of our work ? And if so what is being done about it ? Please weigh in.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've seen memos encouraging it.
Helps union employees out by helping them through tough periods so they are fresher and aren't as tired.
UPS cares about it's people and wants them to feel good.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
They care alright about the e-mails and memos from above about the bottom line and care not for the "cannon fodder" know as the "worker bees"

Bsullivan

File grievances, I file a grievance any time I see any supervisor working. It isn't fair that we come to work and get treated like dirt and then supervisors do our job. You could also just ask them to stop working but you'll most likely get into a argument so just file a grievance. Article 3 section 7 and all others that apply. :)

THEUPSLIFE

Just one more day
File grievances, I file a grievance any time I see any supervisor working. It isn't fair that we come to work and get treated like dirt and then supervisors do our job. You could also just ask them to stop working but you'll most likely get into a argument so just file a grievance. Article 3 section 7 and all others that apply. :)

P/t supes also get treated like dirt. friend/t supes are always on us to unload trailers, clean up the sort isle or help with irregs.
As a trainer on many occasions they have sent my trainee home and had me do his job for the remainder of the day.
Do you think we like to bust out asses in kaki slacks and a polo?

knightablaze

P/t supes also get treated like dirt. friend/t supes are always on us to unload trailers, clean up the sort isle or help with irregs.
As a trainer on many occasions they have sent my trainee home and had me do his job for the remainder of the day.
Do you think we like to bust out asses in kaki slacks and a polo?

Then you really should tell your trainee to stand up for his hours. If there's work still to be done, the company must use union employees. It's extremely plain language in the master agreement.
"...nor shall the Employer send any bargaining unit employee home and then have such employee's work performed by a supervisor..."

The Western agreement gives supes an out to prevent "service failures," but I think the language above is a slamdunk for a grievance on both you and your friend/t supe.

File grievances, but make sure you get the time frame they were working.
And remember, only the senior employee will get paid. But, the more grievances, the more that mgmt sees a need for help, and hopefully will get new hires.
In our center, it the proverbial stuff is hitting the fan on the belt, I don't mind an extra set of hands for a few minutes. That to me is a sign of a good leader helping out his "troops".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

File grievances, but make sure you get the time frame they were working.
And remember, only the senior employee will get paid. But, the more grievances, the more that mgmt sees a need for help, and hopefully will get new hires.
In our center, it the proverbial stuff is hitting the fan on the belt, I don't mind an extra set of hands for a few minutes. That to me is a sign of a good leader helping out his "troops".

You should be a politician--your ability to flip flop from one paragraph to the next is amazing.

Paragraph 1--file grievances

Paragraph 2--thanks for the help, Mr. Sup

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I`m not bent, I just find it amusing how all these morons that never been to a hearing, panel or probably even a meeting seem to know better how to run the Union!!

I am just saying, you have to pick your battles. If it is a few minutes of assistance, that is just being a good leader, instead of standing there, watching your employees suffer.
Filing a grievance for 5 minutes worth of Sup work when they are just being a decent leader seems like a waste of everyone's time.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I am just saying, you have to pick your battles. If it is a few minutes of assistance, that is just being a good leader, instead of standing there, watching your employees suffer.
Filing a grievance for 5 minutes worth of Sup work when they are just being a decent leader seems like a waste of everyone's time.

I've attempted to help employees only to have it rammed up my you know what with a Grievance. I once got grieved for not allowing an employee to let his kids sleep in his car in the parking lot while he worked OT. I actually #1 cared about the safety of his kids and #2 it's not in the best interest of the company.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
5 Minuted here and ther may not seem like much but lets do a little math.

Use for example our center here, we have aproximately 20 or so p/t sups on duty every day. If half of them decide to help out for 5 minutes say 3 times a week then you have 2.5 hrs a week now multiply that by the number of centers in just the USA (I know this is not an accurate number, just pulled it out of the air)1000x2.5=2500hrs of free labor a week. divide that by the 17.5hrs guaranteed to a part timer for a week and you have about 143 jobsthat could be filled by a teamster!!!

EVERY MINUTE YOU ALLOW A SUP TO DO BARGAINING UNIT WORK IS FOOD OUT OF A FELLOW TEAMSTERS MOUTH!!!!!

Very true, but the more you file grievances over and over on the same exact thing, the more the union and UPS start to look at them as more of a nuisance than anything else. Also, it comes down to just being a man about things (or woman) and being able to tell the difference between a supervisor doing it for his own personal benefit, or just being a good supervisor. At my full time job, my boss will jump in when needed and take command of a jacked up situation, and once it is settled down, he will step back and let his employees work. It's called good leadership.
I am far from defending management, but it just seems that when they put there best foot forward for their employees, they get bit in the butt. When they do nothing, they get bit in the butt.
I am pro union. Family has been union for 2 generations. Father and both grandfathers. But what is the ultimate cost?
Filing a grievance multiple times, having a supervisor who cares about his people re-assigned to a different shift, ending up getting a supervisor who doesn't CARE about his employees...and the employees end up pissed off and screwed over in either situation...
What is the ultimate point of having supervisors then if they cannot lead their people?