Tattoo Discrimination

Packmule

Never liked tattoos. Always figured anyone willing to get something so permenant plastered on their skin, makes me wonder what else in life they have such a reckless, devil may care attitude about.
Still, most drivers do wear gloves, so im guessing there's more to this story than we're hearing.

UPS4Life

Guy who works at my building has a neck tattoo they hired him with. I'm sure nobody fully knows the story except him but he was covering it up with make up and a turtle neck for a year now that isn't good enough now they have been trying to fire him for it for the last couple months.

Long story short I believe he started the laser removal process as the union suggested it the best thing to do and told him if he doesn't finish the process (it takes 4 steps) he will be fired.

Imo nobody forced you to get a tattoo nobody is forcing you to shave, but if you're going to work for brown you will have no visible tattoos (I know people do) and be cleanly shaven. It's the company deal with it don't like it? Quit. In the summer the button up gets hot but it looks professional. Go to a truck stop once and see the foreigner come in with shorts, sandals with socks on and a ripped tshirt. Or maybe someone who is in a racing tshirt from 20 years ago and in jeans covered in grease and holes.

You knew this policy when you started, why should they change it because you say "times have changed"

Sent using BrownCafe App

I love how people can judge a book by its cover. That's what is wrong with this country. People should be able to do what they want to there body. The other is why can't we offend people any more. If you don't like it. Take a walk!!

Packmule

I love how people can judge a book by its cover. That's what is wrong with this country. People should be able to do what they want to there body. The other is why can't we offend people any more. If you don't like it. Take a walk!!
You can. Just not on the company's dime. And it's their. Not there.

hyena

I'm just sayin long sleeves ain't that bad , but then again I came into the game knowing I had to cover mine up so it's never bothered me.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

A study came out a few years ago that stated 1 out of 4 in a house have tattoos and growing. Soon if you don't have a tattoo you will be a minority.
I can't wait until I'm sitting around some bar as a geezer with my buddies and everybody is covered with nasty faded tattoos that look like crap, and there I'll be, not looking like I fell in a barrel of ink.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
That being said,, as we sit in our ac'd homes , enjoying the present the PAST soldiers provided for us, it transcends our stupid job and our stupid union,, If you were forced into combat would you care what the person next to you looked like if they were there to save your life....very presumptuous and arrogant.. you all talk about sacrifices made by our older union members.... time for a perspective check..

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
He was a cool old guy. Had amazing stories to tell. This all took place at an employer previous to UPS, but that's neither here nor there. Just an observation of his ink and his Naval history and the time he lived in where tattoos were customary. I miss him. My kicking it up was inadvertent, but thanks anyway.:peaceful:

box_beeyotch

I have tattoos all over my arms and I knew when I started driving I had to wear long sleeves all year. Not that big of a deal to me. My center manager even said he would allow me to wear shorts with the long sleeves. Most days I roll them up and no one has ever said a word.