This is what I did about it.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I notice a white car tailing me on the highway. Ahead, the 2 lane merges into 1. The guy tailing me notices it too and tries to get in front of me. Basically, he forces me off the road as the lane is not wide enough for the 2 of us. I was not getting tied up with him so I gave way. The whole time I laid on the horn to indicate my displeasure at his choice.
It made me angry so I called the local sheriff's department to report his reckless driving. The SD did not have an officer in the vicinity so they called the PD of the town we were approaching.
The guy wheels into a gas station to fuel up while I park next door at a business to make delivery. I get a phone call from dispatch wondering of our location.
You should have seen the double take the guy did when the officer pulled in behind him and flipped on his lights. Priceless!
The officer talks with the guy for awhile then comes to get my side of the story. He said I can write the citation though I would have to be there for his court appearance. OR he offered to give him a thorough tongue lashing. Opted on the latter. He sure glared me down when I got back on the road.
You know.........There are times that we drivers get complaints. Some have merit while others are unwarranted. However, when Joe Public is driving irresponsibly then they need to be called on it.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't care as much as you I suppose. People like that will eventually either piss off someone who has nothing to lose by showing them their displeasure in the form of violence or he'll get in a accident and hopefully learn from that.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Why would you waste the officers time - calling them to report a crime, then failing to act as a witness to the crime. Thank you for wasting tax payer dollars.

You could have easily let him pass you and you wouldn't have been run off the road.

Last, your horn is a warning device. Not a tool to express your displeasure of someone's driving ability. Everyone that isn't me sucks at driving. Get used to it.

browntroll

i would have done the same, this guy might have been trying to cause an accident on purpose. i have seen a few temps trying to
get hired so they can fix a pre existing injury from the insurance they would get. i know of 2 part timers that worked injured and as soon as they
got insurance they went on disability.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Follow the methods. If the dummy hit your truck, you would have been charged with an avoidable accident. Also the blaring of the horn...the person could have stopped in front of you on the ramp and pulled out a gun.

Yield the right of way to live another day?

If we took the time to do that with every idiot we'd never get anything done.
You recognized him as a threat, you should have just let him go early on and be done with it. He learned nothing. You changed nothing.

gman042

Who is to know what my actions changed or did not change? Perhaps if I had done nothing he may have caused an accident further up the road. Just maybe by me getting law enforcement involved delayed him that 20 minutes that prevented him from being stupid again. One can never tell.

PT Car Washer

I would bet he is still stupid. You did what I would have loved to do what you did with stupid drivers. Have to be careful about road rage both on your part and the other drivers. Can turn really bad real quick.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I had a dumb dumb in a Corvette cut me off while I was getting on the turnpike. He was so close to my front bumper I couldn't see his rear wheels. I hit my brakes and he took off like a scalded dog. I was m.friend.'ing him as he disappeared in the distance. I get about five miles down the pike and I see that he has been pulled over by the state patrol. I laughed as I passed him by thinking "ain't karma a bitch."

wayfair

swollen member
I had a dumb dumb in a Corvette cut me off while I was getting on the turnpike. He was so close to my front bumper I couldn't see his rear wheels. I hit my brakes and he took off like a scalded dog. I was m.friend.'ing him as he disappeared in the distance. I get about five miles down the pike and I see that he has been pulled over by the state patrol. I laughed as I passed him by thinking "ain't karma a bitch."

if you were getting on the turnpike, aren't YOU supposed to yield?

Who is to know what my actions changed or did not change? Perhaps if I had done nothing he may have caused an accident further up the road. Just maybe by me getting law enforcement involved delayed him that 20 minutes that prevented him from being stupid again. One can never tell.

If, if, if..................

gman042

My anger was not nearly to the level of a rage per say. What angered me was his audacity trying to force his way ahead of me on a one lane road. In this day and age of instant communication, why shouldn't he be called on his behavior? Maybe next time he encounters a big brown truck he will think twice about what he did.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Pulling a set of doubles on the highway in the left lane. Right lane was ending per flashing arrows 1/4 mile away. Had a van behind me pull into the right lane and tried to pass me. He clearly saw the lane ending as soon as he got into the right lane. Instead of getting back in behind me, I saw him try and speed up and pass me before his lane ended. I did not speed up, but I did not slow down and let him get around me. He only managed to get to my front trailer before his lane ended. The only thing I saw next from my mirror was orange barrels flying everywhere. I hope the guy did not get hurt, but I also hope he totaled his van. Served him right.

ArcherUTR

Yield to dumbassery, move on with your day.

I'm glad most hear are not fist bumping you.

However, kind of cool story. So whatevs.