Time for something different? Johnson- Weld

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, It's Trump's dime not ours... He's self funded right? :crying:

Back to Mr. Johnson. While I agree that both Trump and Hillary are awful candidates, Johnson isn't really an alternative because he's a Libertarian, a deeply flawed political philosophy.

Libertarianism only works (theoretically) when there is a true free market (we don't have one), and people take self-responsibility for their actions and have the freedom and ability to pay for the services they want. That isn't going to happen.

In the pretend Libertarian utopia, everyone is free to do what they want (use and buy drugs, patronize legal prostitution and gambling etc.), and they only get the services they are willing to pay for. If you want fire department protection, you have to choose to pay for it. If you don't, the FD stands by and hoses down your neighbor's house while yours burns to the ground.

The reality is that most government services are necessary and universal, and that there is no magical "free market" that creates an economic and social nirvans.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Back to Mr. Johnson. While I agree that both Trump and Hillary are awful candidates, Johnson isn't really an alternative because he's a Libertarian, a deeply flawed political philosophy.

Libertarianism only works (theoretically) when there is a true free market (we don't have one), and people take self-responsibility for their actions and have the freedom and ability to pay for the services they want. That isn't going to happen.

In the pretend Libertarian utopia, everyone is free to do what they want (use and buy drugs, patronize legal prostitution and gambling etc.), and they only get the services they are willing to pay for. If you want fire department protection, you have to choose to pay for it. If you don't, the FD stands by and hoses down your neighbor's house while yours burns to the ground.

The reality is that most government services are necessary and universal, and that there is no magical "free market" that creates an economic and social nirvans.
There will never be a libertarian utopia, just like there will never be a liberal utopia or a conservative utopia. But all things considered, Johnson is the most reasonable choice.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There will never be a libertarian utopia, just like there will never be a liberal utopia or a conservative utopia. But all things considered, Johnson is the most reasonable choice.

Maybe, but without the conditions necessary for Libertarianism to occur, how will Johnson create meaningful change?

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
THE LIBERTARIANS HAVE BECOME THE MODERATE, MIDDLE WAY PARTY

When libertarian candidates have made inroads in the GOP in the past, it has often been in some of the party's rightmost precincts. But Johnson and Weld thus far have enjoyed little success (and, to be fair, shown little interest) at wooing the most conservative elected officials and pundits.

While the Libertarian ticket has been drawing an entirely unprecedented 8 to 10 percent in national polls, little of its energy comes from the Republican base. Instead, it is making noticeable gains in the center.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
THE LIBERTARIANS HAVE BECOME THE MODERATE, MIDDLE WAY PARTY

When libertarian candidates have made inroads in the GOP in the past, it has often been in some of the party's rightmost precincts. But Johnson and Weld thus far have enjoyed little success (and, to be fair, shown little interest) at wooing the most conservative elected officials and pundits.

While the Libertarian ticket has been drawing an entirely unprecedented 8 to 10 percent in national polls, little of its energy comes from the Republican base. Instead, it is making noticeable gains in the center.
Which makes sense to me personally.
I am to the left of almost all Republicans I know.
I am to the right of all Democrats I know.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I don't think that's so different from many...

The problem is the team sports analogy when it comes to politics.. Tribal?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
why would we set a standard for libertarianism utopia when we don't expect a utopia from any other parties or philosophies.

The big difference is the almost religious dependence on free markets, which only exist in theory. Logically, no true free market means Libertarianism is a fallacy.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
In a first, Libertarian candidate in Colorado’s U.S. Senate race qualifies for major debate

Colorado’s U.S. Senate race begins in earnest this week with a major surprise: The Libertarian candidate will participate in the first debate.

Lily Tang Williams will join Democrat Michael Bennet and Republican Darryl Glenn at the Club 20 debate Saturday in Grand Junction — a significant opportunity to boost the Libertarian Party’s exposure in Colorado in a year in which voters are looking for alternatives to the major party candidates at the top of the ticket.

newfie

The big difference is the almost religious dependence on free markets, which only exist in theory. Logically, no true free market means Libertarianism is a fallacy.

I think you're making it up as you go. promote or deny the candidate on his merits not on some ambiguous utopia standard.