To go or not to go, in a bine, please sound off.

bigmistake

In 2008 I was disqualified due to an accident during my 30 day Probation period. I was sent back inside and allowed to work Saturday Air which I've been doing since May 2008. I signed the list last month and was told today it's my turn again, and to report to orientation next Monday, 2/13.

My dilema: I have a full time job I'm satisfied with. I work for a major retailer in a Distribution Center. Decent job, decent pay and best of all I work Monday through Friday 7am to 3pm with minimal overtime. Been there over 2 years and would absolutely hate to leave with 4 days notice.

In 2008, I was told I was consistently 1 hour paid over and would likely be extended. With a little more effort I think I would have made it. Between my full time job and UPS (including working Saturday Air at Air Driver top rate) I made 57k last year. I don't think I'll ever get the opportunity to make 70 to 80k a year anywhere else. I'm 36 years old and have 2 daughters.

I'm completely torn. What would you do? What options should I consider?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Only you can make that decision. Some things I would consider are the hours, the fact that you will not work every day for at least several months, possibly years, and the high level of stress and poor treatment from management. Id that all worth the money to you? Time with your family can be priceless!

opie

You might be making less money initially as a driver. Starting rate I think is around $16. Unless they let you start at your air driver rate?? Or inside rate if its higher than the starting rate?

satellitedriver

If you are asking for an honest/harsh opinion, I will give you mine.
Keep what you have.
One must have a strong commitment to make it long term as a driver and that means losing precious time with your family.
Tough choice.
It is your call, and yours alone.

SpoolEmUp

Work 9-7 m-friend, doesn't matter if there is a holiday, recital or baseball game. You work.

You'll get paid for sure, last I checked though, money cant reverse a women's scorn, and money doesn't put you front row when your daughter nails her lines in the Christmas play.

Something to think about bro.

klein

Für Meno :)
Just think, another mishap accident and you'll be back in the sideline. Even if you are strucked while being parked !
I agree with Sat.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree, keep what you have, you sound happy. it is harder now, than 2008. Hug them babies tight nd tuck them in every night.

GolfCart

Is it a full time job or cover driver ? If full time , might take it . BUT driving now days is nothing like 5 yrs ago or even 20 yrs ago . Someone is always watching you . Its really bad at my hub , I got off 30 mins early ( scratch driver ) but I took a 1 hr 7 min lunch break that day , ( I did not know I did ) and some guy from a different STATE !!!!!!! wanted to know abot the 7 mins . Even though I got finished 30 mins early that day . I just thought I took 1 hr , but he said I had 1hr 7 min dead time .......... did not get in trouble " talk to" but come on 7 mins !!!!!!! so I might stay where you are . Full time driving is tough tough . You will jump from route to route after your 30 days is up . Very hard to learn so much so quick !

opie

Actually if he goes FT driving, he would be working less hours and be home earlier. I assume he's working the twilight sort, so right now he's working his day job from 7am-3pm and then at UPS from 5 or 6pm to about 10pm. And also Saturday Air which is another 3-5 hours.

satellitedriver

Actually if he goes FT driving, he would be working less hours and be home earlier. I assume he's working the twilight sort, so right now he's working his day job from 7am-3pm and then at UPS from 5 or 6pm to about 10pm. And also Saturday Air which is another 3-5 hours.
I assume that you are a part-timer and never have been a full time driver.
8hrs in a UPS pkg car equals 12hrs, in most job/careers.
Rarely, does a driver get an 8hr day.
I choose to do this job/career and do not regret it, but the original poster said this;
My dilema: I have a full time job I'm satisfied with.
With everything else he said in his post, I presume he would not be satisfied locking himself into this job/career, and would not last.
I do not want to sound mean, but at the age of 36, to starting driving, he better have grit and be damn certain this is the way he wants to provide for his family.
BigMistake,
I truly wish you, and your family, the best.
Take great care in making your decision.

GolfCart

I am always worried when I go into work that I will be "strucked" in rear.

They are making us do stretches at work during PCM meeting . My boss asked me to lead , so I bent over and touched my toes , and I said lets get ready for our day . Everyone laughed evenly boss

curiousbrain

They are making us do stretches at work during PCM meeting . My boss asked me to lead , so I bent over and touched my toes , and I said lets get ready for our day . Everyone laughed evenly boss

I lead the morning PCM; and I am doing that tomorrow, no questions asked. Anything to generate a laugh is worth the arse-slam that is Preload.