Top 10 Biggest Hubs In US?

Tol-Load

I work the night sort in toledo, and the building IS NOT automated. 14 outbounds, 4 inbounds, process around 380k daily. Michigan loads are most of the building it seems, at least my PD where 5 doors of 11 are michigan, the other 6 are parsippany, chema, and north bay cali.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I work the night sort in toledo, and the building IS NOT automated. 14 outbounds, 4 inbounds, process around 380k daily. Michigan loads are most of the building it seems, at least my PD where 5 doors of 11 are michigan, the other 6 are parsippany, chema, and north bay cali.
I'm wondering where you get the 380k is normal? I was told by the feeder manager that we have to run 400k just to break even. They were worried that they might cut day sort if we had a solid week under 400k. Just wondering where your numbers came from. Everyone seems to have different stats.

Tol-Load

380k is just what i've been told is the average. I know that our hub has the capacity for like 700K or something like that, but I couldn't even imagine how backed out everyone would be with that type of flow.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm wondering where you get the 380k is normal? I was told by the feeder manager that we have to run 400k just to break even. They were worried that they might cut day sort if we had a solid week under 400k. Just wondering where your numbers came from. Everyone seems to have different stats.

That bldg is a mirror image of CHEMA. Our day sort was cut dramatically layoff wise but the sort still runs. And of course the feeder rumour mill runs rampant with the "day sort gone" stuff. ;)

Can't imagine this can continue though, without a drastic measure such as cutting out sorts entirely. and also I doubt that the hub you're speaking of has seen more than 400k very often since peak. We're only getting 350k average now and have virtually the same capacity (40k/hr, 14 PDs, etc), I'm pretty sure you can apply those low numbers to most of the buildings.

BrownEvo

What hub you talking about?

blue efficacy

Again I ask, why does UPS send all these Michigan loads to Ohio? Someone must know. I know Toledo is close to MI and all. But still, my layman's UPS knowledge tells me it would make more sense to sort this stuff in Michigan.

Buffaloaf

Awww come on! Anyone can do a ton of volume, especially when your chart is everything but the state you live in! I'd like to know who leads Night sorts (the sorts with difficult splits) for service frequencies.

BrownSuit

Again I ask, why does UPS send all these Michigan loads to Ohio? Someone must know. I know Toledo is close to MI and all. But still, my layman's UPS knowledge tells me it would make more sense to sort this stuff in Michigan.

Toledo isn't actually that far away and I'm guessing that capacity and centrally located would be two reason. How much of what is in Michigan stays in Michigan?

It may be cheaper to run, maybe can get on a rail?

I think that blue is speaking of twilights where they are bringing in that day's load from the centers. Rail wouldn't make a whole lot of sense in those cases. If I'm not mistaken it's only a two or three hour drive for most of the south part of the state where all the volume would actually be.

Buffaloaf

From my experiences with MI going to OH, it has only been Livonia (480-483 MI) volume going to Toledo. I think that the reason for this is because MI is such a large state and already is spread out between stuff that gets sorted to Lansing and Detroit. It's probably a matter of sending that Southern MI stuff to Ohio because there isn't enough volume to justify a half feeder full of MI stuff from a bunch of sorts, when you can just throw it in with an OH feeder, resort it into a few MI trailers and have a driver take it up there. Instead of having to pay a bunch of drivers hours to run the route, they pay a bunch of PT employees 1/3 the wages to reload it and 1 driver to do a shorter route. I'm not positive, but this is probably it. For what it's worth, I've only dealt with MI/OH on a twilight sort.

SmithBarney

When I trained at Commerce City (Denver) we were told it was the
3rd largest in terms of Size(not volume)

8 Centers under one roof and at the time nearly round the clock sorts

SEAWA hub is the second largest in Washington. It was one of the first ones built in the country, designed to process about 40k max. Usually local sort runs about 65-80k. Peak has seen 200k before with hundreds of trailers just sitting in the yard.

I always thought it was pretty big then you guys talk about running 300k+ a sort. Absolute craziness! How many employees on each sort?

H_E_Pennypacker

Large Member
chema may not be in the top ten probably in the top 15.

cach clearly number 1

louisville number 2

Jaxfl possibly number 3

following are probably in the top ten

newpa

willow grove

island city

Mesquite

and one of the california hubs

Pdale used to be not sure now with the other buildings they opened up in that area.

burtonsville

toledo claims number one rights on overall results not size.:happy-very:

My guess for the California hub is Grande Vista.

bill102

Here is a snapshot from Monday 6/15/09 of the scanned volume for the top ten buildings

CCHIL ********* Cach
SDFAS ********* Louisville
MEANJ ******* Meadowlands
JACFL ******* Jacksonville
MESTX ******* Mesquite
WILPA ******* Willow Grove
ONTCA ******* Ontario
PLEGA ******* Pleasantdale
I81IN ******* Indianapolis
GRENC ******* Greensboro

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on DESIGNED pph capacity - excluding CACH, Worlport & Ontario:

ADDISON A BUILDING
JACKSONVILLE
MEADOWLANDS
PALATINE
COMMERCE CITY
INDIANAPOLIS 81ST
TOLEDO
BEDFORD PARK
EARTH CITY
NEW STANTON

slantnosechevy

The CACH is running just under 2 million pieces a day even now,knock on wood.

CACH is clearly #1. They were averaging 2.5 million plus until the downturn. cachsux is right. They're just under 2 mil. right now. UPS is getting nervous because they need 1.5 mil. to break even. May be shifting volumn from Bedford Park was the last word going around if volumn falls further.

Buffaloaf

In the US 1. Lousiville 2. Rockford i believe is what i read in some recent article

The article you read must have been referring to Air Hubs. Rockford is way down the list when you include the Ground Hubs. I'm not even really sure RFD does the second most volume anymore for Air Hubs, I think it's just second most in designed PPH.