Turn by turn

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I drove to visit my son in PA over the weekend. I used the heck out of my navigation system.

BTW, did not realize that it was a state law in NJ that you cannot pump your own gas.

It was nice to pay $2.089/gal for gas. :)

MAKAVELI

Yes but not in the way that you may think.

The GPS in the DIAD is to make sure that we are at the right stop but it does not provide turn by turn navigation to get us to that stop.
So you guys can't tell if you are at the right stop on your own? Sounds like the UPS drivers have something in common with the Ground drivers.;)

BoxDriver

So you guys can't tell if you are at the right stop on your own? Sounds like the UPS drivers have something in common with the Ground drivers.;)

So explain why the Express guy on part of my route can't figure out the difference between the Family Dollar and the Dollar Store next door. And no it's not a former Ground guy as I know they have 2 of them, but not on that route.

dezguy

So explain why the Express guy on part of my route can't figure out the difference between the Family Dollar and the Dollar Store next door. And no it's not a former Ground guy as I know they have 2 of them, but not on that route.
Probably the same reason a UPS guy dropped off an Xbox one at a Target rather than the Walmart in the same plaza, on my route?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
GPS is distracting though. It gets you there but at a cost of reducing your awareness of your environment. Plenty of drivers would follow their GPS right across an uncontrolled train crossing without looking...

you are not supposed to stare into the gps unit while driving; ever heard of "Keep your eyes moving"? or they don't teach that "smith system" at express anymore at courier class?

Crutch as it may be, I use a Garmin to help me until I get familiar with the route.

ditto, it makes my life as a swing/cover driver easier and less stressful when i just cover someone's route for a day or two then move on to the next route...

i had to sift through these pages without my unanswered question; which Garmin GPS will be integrated to fedex's Orion system?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
you are not supposed to stare into the gps unit while driving; ever heard of "Keep your eyes moving"? or they don't teach that "smith system" at express anymore at courier class?

ditto, it makes my life as a swing/cover driver easier and less stressful when i just cover someone's route for a day or two then move on to the next route...

i had to sift through these pages without my unanswered question; which Garmin GPS will be integrated to fedex's Orion system?

No, they don't teach the Smith System in courier class anymore.

FedEx doesn't use ORION. They use Roads and DRA. DRA is like ORION.

dex 84

We should stop. The Chinese catch live sharks, cut off the fin for soup, and then toss the still-living shark back in the water to die. Sharks are actually becoming endangered as a result. If it puts a penny in Fred's pocket, however, we'll keep shipping the fins.

No, they don't teach the Smith System in courier class anymore.

FedEx doesn't use ORION. They use Roads and DRA. DRA is like ORION.

The GPS is just one more thing when there's already plenty to be focusing on while driving.

FedEx still teaches the smith system, they just officially don't teach it to save money.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
weren't they teaching S.A.friend.E. instead to avoid paying Harold Smith the rights to use his 5 Keys of Safety driving ?

basically the same principles, but just reworded /condensed into 4 keys. I still have no idea what they mean since even the subcontractors i chat with don't know either <shrugs>

i get a chuckle from a fellow brownie on my routes when i say, "Hey did you know All Good Kids Like Milk" since he wasn't expecting a lowly HD or Ground driver to know that