United Way

What'dyabringmetoday???

The post I responded to mentioned the poor part timer. If the poor part timer wanted to help his community then a dollar a week that he cant even spend on a soda would help.

I don't care if you don't want to help your community just stop coming up with BS excuses.
I know you will never give in on this, but just because someone does not donate to United Way it does not mean that they do not support their community. It just means that they do not do it on UPS terms and that is the problem from your perspective. If you feel good about supporting United Way, then that is good for you. If a part-timer chooses to not donate, give it a rest. That is the problem with this whole campaign. Charity should be a personal decision and hopefully humbling. UPS takes any chance of that away with the way this is handled. I can see some of your points on this subject. Sadly, you do not see that UPS could just possibly, just maybe, have a little smidgen of responsibility for the poor handling of this matter. Perhaps that is where you should focus your energy if you are in fact a "tieguy" at UPS.

Brownnblue

depends on when you ask. Many places don't compile a list until all the money is collected. I get a letter from muscular dystrophy every year thanking me.

How? Just tell me how? Just tell my how you (or anybody else) gets a letter of thanks from the organization that you designate your charitable contribution from? Every year that I have donated, I have designated to a particular fund. Every year, I hear over and over again that I will get some kind of notation from said particular charity. Not once have I got one. NOT ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this too much to ask? Quite frankly, as the years have passed, I have so little confidence in this "system" that I have downgraded from a thank you letter to a simple receipt. I can't even get that. If I can't get that, then how can I be sure that my money is going to the charity that I have chosen?

Yes, every year I check whatever box I can to get a receipt. Yes, every year I try to plead my case to whoever is in charge. Yes, every year they take my money.....and no receipt.

This particular charity is very near & dear to me, but I am sick of playing the fool. Stop your whining about all the "excuses" and get me some answers.

tieguy

Banned
I know you will never give in on this, but just because someone does not donate to United Way it does not mean that they do not support their community

You don't know anything about me because you have not read anything I've posted but made plenty of assumptions.

Let me keep you focused on a couple of points if you can:

Don't give to united way if your heart is not in it. Only give if you genuinely feel its a good means to help your community.

Don't use ups as an excuse to not give. Don't give because you don't like united way or don't give because you're a cheap bastard or don't give because you help your community in some other way. But don't use ups as an excuse just because they are gung ho on helping the less fortunate.
Using UPS as an excuse is a cop out plain and simple.

tieguy

Banned
How? Just tell me how? Just tell my how you (or anybody else) gets a letter of thanks from the organization that you designate your charitable contribution from?

I use a designation form to give all of my money to muscular dystrophy I select an option on the form that requests a reciept of funds from the agency. Ask your local uw coordinator how you can get one from the agency you give to.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was not going to give last yr but a sup has a child, or maybe 2 with autism, so I gave to that, and I got a Thank You from the organization, which was not expected. The designation is right on the card. Giving to something in your own community or close to your heart, makes it seem more worthwhile

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I earmark my donation to our local Hospice because of the work that they do with those nearing the end of their lives and always receive recognition; however, that is not why I donate. I donate through UW because it allows me to give more than I could in a single donation and the money goes to a deserving charity so that they can continue their work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager handled UW differently this year. He called each one of us separately in to his office to fill out the forms. When he called me in, he started the spiel and I stopped him. He handed me the form and we BSed as I filled it out. When I finished he thanked me, we shook hands and I went to work. Simple as that--no arm twisting, nothing.

What'dyabringmetoday???

You don't know anything about me because you have not read anything I've posted but made plenty of assumptions.

Let me keep you focused on a couple of points if you can:

Don't give to united way if your heart is not in it. Only give if you genuinely feel its a good means to help your community.

Don't use ups as an excuse to not give. Don't give because you don't like united way or don't give because you're a cheap bastard or don't give because you help your community in some other way. But don't use ups as an excuse just because they are gung ho on helping the less fortunate.
Using UPS as an excuse is a cop out plain and simple.
Sorry, but you are the one making assumptions. I am not using UPS as an excuse for anything. I will not bother trying to explain my previous post as it will do no good. You see and hear what you want. I will say (again) that I do agree with a lot of your points. Try to absorb that last sentence.

Brownnblue

I use a designation form to give all of my money to muscular dystrophy I select an option on the form that requests a reciept of funds from the agency. Ask your local uw coordinator how you can get one from the agency you give to.

Designation form- check

Option for receipt noted and checked- check

Ask UW coordinator for receipt, and receive guarantee that I will get one- check

And still nothing. :angry:

tieguy

Banned
Designation form- check

Option for receipt noted and checked- check

Ask UW coordinator for receipt, and receive guarantee that I will get one- check

And still nothing. :angry:

That would be a problem. Ask your center team to ask your districts UW coordinator to verify the money went where it was supposed to go. For some reason UW coordinators are usually very helpful this time of the year:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
Why would you pay somebody else to administer your donations to another charity?
Don't you think they need to pay their people too? They are not working for free. Remember the great United Way scandal in the 80's. Here is an update http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/08/12/ST2008081201676.html

An agency that is good at helping the homeless may not be good at fund raising. United way takes care of the fund raising for them allowing them to dedicate more time to their specialty.

You have scandels in all walks of life including the teamsters.

dillweed

I feel the UW does a great deal of good but don't donate. Too much administration gobbling up the funds.

We give directly to the charities of our choice. We adopt all of our pets from the humane societies, drop dollars upon dollars into the Salvation kettles, stop and buy overpriced candy bars to help an organization and send some bucks to the well known organizations who send requests. We buy gifts for nursing home residents from our area grocery store at Christmas time and extra food for the food pantry barrel. After Chistmas I buy up lots of marked-down toys and save them for the next year. Unused clothing and household items go to Salvation Army or an area thrift store.

Lots of giving can go on in small ways. Whatever way suits you is the best way to give. My issue with UPS is the glory that the company takes in collected funds. Humililty? I don't think so, they blow their horn and try to out-do other centers in collections.

Tie, what YOU may consider a BS excuse (for anything) may be a valid reason to the other person. Just because YOU think something doesn't make it so.
To use your own analogy, You have BS excuses in all walks of life including UPS management on why they won't/can't/didn't (insert your favorite failure).

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Our center manager handled UW differently this year. He called each one of us separately in to his office to fill out the forms. When he called me in, he started the spiel and I stopped him. He handed me the form and we BSed as I filled it out. When I finished he thanked me, we shook hands and I went to work. Simple as that--no arm twisting, nothing.

UPSTATE

You don't call being brought into your center manager's office separately to hear the speech arm twisting ?? I know I do, and I'm sure everyone at BrownCafe would say the same. Obviously, your center manager is under the gun to raise the centers' UW contributions and doing it the wrong way.

Anytime we contribute, it should be anonomously as it can. To have anyone in management staring at you watching you write down your contribution should be illegal. There is pressure there to increase it so you don't look like a non-caring low life.

I know you well enough, and I know your name was going to be on the United Way Gold Star Wall of Fame in your building regardless of you entering the center manager's office or not. Because your arm wasn't twisted doesn't mean everyone elses wasn't.:whatever:

browndevil

I feel the UW does a great deal of good but don't donate. Too much administration gobbling up the funds.

We give directly to the charities of our choice. We adopt all of our pets from the humane societies, drop dollars upon dollars into the Salvation kettles, stop and buy overpriced candy bars to help an organization and send some bucks to the well known organizations who send requests. We buy gifts for nursing home residents from our area grocery store at Christmas time and extra food for the food pantry barrel. After Chistmas I buy up lots of marked-down toys and save them for the next year. Unused clothing and household items go to Salvation Army or an area thrift store.

Lots of giving can go on in small ways. Whatever way suits you is the best way to give. My issue with UPS is the glory that the company takes in collected funds. Humililty? I don't think so, they blow their horn and try to out-do other centers in collections.
Great post Dill. If I might add, donating to the church on my route yearly and buying everything the kids are selling on my route too, magazines, girlscout cookies, candy bars and anyone who needs a sponsor for a run or walk for breast cancer,leukemia, AIDS etc. The cookies, candy and magazines I then turn those around and drop them off at a skilled nursing facility.
My center manager really didn't care that I already had forms a charity he just wanted me to donate to UW. Which leads me to believe its not about charity they are after but a number in donations. No thank you and anyone that wants a confirmation regarding thier donation, tell the organization no. That is just adding to the administrative cost.