United Way

leastbest

LeastBest
I had a sup give me a hard time once so I asked him how much he gave and what percentage that was of his pay. He wouldn't answer so I didn't give.

aleigh1002

$750 is some sort of leadership level. Last year in our HR building, they brought in little UW pins for those who reached leadership level and handed them out in front of everyone. There was this really sweet lady (now retired) who was the only one that didn't and they basically called her out in front of the whole group.

Another story. A girl I work with used to be an intern for UPS as a poor college kid, and her first year she gave 5 bucks a paycheck, I also did as a part time OMS, but her boss called her in her office and said "Is $5 really all you can afford to give to people who need it?" That's bogus.

jereshkigal

Thank you. I think that the main 2 reasons that I support the United Way as I do is that it is so much easier for me to support my favorite charity (Hospice of the North Country) through payroll deduction as I do not have the means to write a check of that amount in a single donation and I take advantage of the tax deduction benefit associated with my donation. The charity gets their $1,300 (or most of it, anway) and I get a $325 tax credit.

I have heard of a couple of people who assigned their donations to go to a certain place (in one case it was the guys church). They asked the place if the donation got to them and it didn't. I didn't give last year because I don't trust my local United Way and besides, I don't have any extra money to give.

hyena

Absolutely $0 this year. Last years force/push tactics from management completely turned me off from it. I've donated every year prior.
My management was pissed when I didnt donate! They kept trying to tell me to donate something. I didnt. I dont know where that money goes. They say it goes to a good cause but I dont know.

broncobros1

Another obstacle to keep from giving. UPS already donates quite a bit of the company money and quite a few employees to help united way. I could care less if UPS is chasing a number if its for the right reason. You think the poor person who recieves a free meal from upsers cares if ups chased a number to get them that meal? Yours is just another way of putting up an obstacle and then blaming ups for it.
You are able to communicate exactly what alot of us feel....the self riotous person seems to need to find an excuse to make them feel better about screwing someone else. As much moolah that these guys make, they hold some type of grudge against the provider and whatever program that is presented they will find whatever way to screw it up. I am waiting for them to meet their maker!!!

tourists24

You are able to communicate exactly what alot of us feel....the self riotous person seems to need to find an excuse to make them feel better about screwing someone else. As much moolah that these guys make, they hold some type of grudge against the provider and whatever program that is presented they will find whatever way to screw it up. I am waiting for them to meet their maker!!!
Oh I see how it works now.... because some people wish not to give to the United Way through UPS, that makes this person self righteous. Because they dont like the way that UPS approaches the whole idea of charity, this makes them stingy. I guess they are sinful now because they dont give to this particular charity (waiting to meet their maker) .... hmmm . Lemme pull my checkbook out

I think that people who give to the United Way because of all of the wonderful things they can provide is a good thing, but statements like this one is just a sampling of ones which make me rethink of who/what I give to. It really disgusts me the way charity gets manipulated by UPS.I research my charities carefully and if I feel compelled by my heart to give, then Im there with them. Most of them I hear through my local community or church. I can guarantee you if I feel pressured to give just for the sake of someone telling me I need to, then I doubt you are getting my money

broncobros1

Oh I see how it works now.... because some people wish not to give to the United Way through UPS, that makes this person self righteous. Because they dont like the way that UPS approaches the whole idea of charity, this makes them stingy. I guess they are sinful now because they dont give to this particular charity (waiting to meet their maker) .... hmmm . Lemme pull my checkbook out

I think that people who give to the United Way because of all of the wonderful things they can provide is a good thing, but statements like this one is just a sampling of ones which make me rethink of who/what I give to. It really disgusts me the way charity gets manipulated by UPS.I research my charities carefully and if I feel compelled by my heart to give, then Im there with them. Most of them I hear through my local community or church. I can guarantee you if I feel pressured to give just for the sake of someone telling me I need to, then I doubt you are getting my money
Preach on...I am shedding a tear!

tieguy

Banned
You are correct sir. Which is my point. Charity is a personal and private matter. I don't like how the part timers get strong armed into donating.

I agree charity is a personal decision. i'd rather you give because you want to help your community not because you got strong armed into it.

On another note those same part timers have no problem spending their money on sodas and chips in the vending machine. A dollar a week won't even buy a soda here.

tieguy

Banned
I have heard of a couple of people who assigned their donations to go to a certain place (in one case it was the guys church). They asked the place if the donation got to them and it didn't. I didn't give last year because I don't trust my local United Way and besides, I don't have any extra money to give.

depends on when you ask. Many places don't compile a list until all the money is collected. I get a letter from muscular dystrophy every year thanking me.

tieguy

Banned
yet many people do not want the UW as their middle man... charity should be given as EACH individual seems fit... if they want no part of the United Way, then leave them alone. It is a convenient way for some, but there are tons of ways to give charity. It doesnt have to be through UPS and UW

Don't forget uw is also a convinent way for the charity to collect funds. If they did not have a UW doing it for them then they would have to dedicate more of their limited resources to fund raising and less towards their cause.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I agree charity is a personal decision. i'd rather you give because you want to help your community not because you got strong armed into it.

On another note those same part timers have no problem spending their money on sodas and chips in the vending machine. A dollar a week won't even buy a soda here.
I think that they can spend that money as they choose. It is not your concern if it goes in a soda machine or not. Just as it is not your business if they donate to United Way or not. I asked management to donate to a local fire department a few years back. They chose to not help out. End of story. Nobody tried to make them feel guilty.

tieguy

Banned
I think that they can spend that money as they choose. It is not your concern if it goes in a soda machine or not. Just as it is not your business if they donate to United Way or not. I asked management to donate to a local fire department a few years back. They chose to not help out. End of story. Nobody tried to make them feel guilty.

The post I responded to mentioned the poor part timer. If the poor part timer wanted to help his community then a dollar a week that he cant even spend on a soda would help.

I don't care if you don't want to help your community just stop coming up with BS excuses.