UPS and Oil

browniehound

Sat.....our family did the ambulance thing too. It was a nice thing to say a little prayer for someone who might be in a health crisis or accident.

One of the things we did on Good Friday was that during the 3 hours between noon and 3 PM (supposedly the time Christ hung on the cross) we maintained silence in our house. No TV, no radio, no phone no talking at all. This tradition broke for good when my adult cousin came to visit during one of these times and yelled out......."Whatsa matter, cat got your tongues!!" We laughed ourselves silly.

To this day, I wonder if during Christ's time they were on Pacific, Eastern or daylight saving's time and how did we know those were the exact hours He was on the cross?

We may not have kept the practices of our childhood, but I think those were simpler times and our characters were forming and we turned out as OK kids with some morals intact.

More,
I think its "rituals" like you described that builds character and molds us into what we will be as adults.

As for Christ dying between 12 and 3, I don't know? Was he really born on december 25th? I doubt it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
do any of you all have some type of kit you keep stocked ready to go???
I have a "get home kit" in each of my vehicles. It includes a wind-up flashlight that never needs batteries, a couple of water bottles, an MRE, a fuel-siphoning tube, a poncho, and a gun with extra ammo. You can put a kit like this together for about $200 and it could very well make the difference between making it home or not.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have a "get home kit" in each of my vehicles. It includes a wind-up flashlight that never needs batteries, a couple of water bottles, an MRE, a fuel-siphoning tube, a poncho, and a gun with extra ammo. You can put a kit like this together for about $200 and it could very well make the difference between making it home or not.

i like that kit!!

Gas will last for at least 6 months if you keep it in an airtight gas can, and a year or more when you add 2 oz of sta-bil, which I do. I also rotate my gas out by running it thru my old truck once it gets a year old, and then I refill the can with fresh fuel.
I can remember getting up at 4:00 AM with my folks and going to wait in line for gas back in '73. Im not interested in doing that again.

Sober,

What do you think about one of these?

http://www.efuel100.com/

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober,

What do you think about one of these?
http://www.efuel100.com/
Not interested. Pure ethanol wont run well at all in a gasoline engine. My minivan can run on E85 (85% ethanol 15% gasoline) but the gas mileage drops by over 1/3.
Ethanol has less btu's of energy than gasoline, but a higher octane. If you want good performance out of ethanol, you need to have a much higher compression ratio in your engine. This would mean you couldnt use gasoline in it at all. A standard gasoline engine...with lower compression...can run an ethanol blend of up to 85%, beyond which you start running into cold-start and driveability issues as well as poor overall mileage compared to straight gasoline.
For a fraction of the cost of the efuel100 unit, you can set up a biodiesel processor in your garage to make biodiesel out of used (or new) cooking and vegetable oil.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What UPS needs to do is adopt a computerized dispatch system that maximizes effeciency and saves fuel. Then actually implement it correctly.

Ditto, excellent point. Before I read your post I was thinking, "dont we have gps and all to help with unneccesary mileage?"

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I may be naive, but wasn't that one of the selling points?

Nope, you are not naive at all, you are just alert! Two drivers in the same subdivision, increase in missloads and missorts, more people on payroll, different delivery times on Sendagains, OnCar/ Shuttle Drivers, I could go on and on. PAS/EDD hasn't exactly been a runaway success.

Mike Hawk

They do, I had a 2x2x2 QVC box come down the other day that looked like an accordian, I opened it up and there were 3 smaller boxes at the botom, with no packing material at all. Then again sometimes I get 3 QVC shirts or w/e in individual bags all for the same person.

For a few more hundred bucks you can just tow another car behind you.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I order a lot of equipment over the internet and I specify that it be shipped as 1 shipment and most will do that. I have had cases where the dealer sends the order to a vendor who then ships it direct.