UPS and wage garnishment

705red

Browncafe Steward
Duke, 3 posts and to be honest after your first post i thought you would go downhill. But your next two posts where pretty well thought out to.

Keep up the good work, and take baby steps. Start with the ABC's and then move up to small sight words like, if, it, and.

And in a few weeks maybe you can type out a full sentence without mommy!

iowa boy

They do.

There are state guidelines for the amount allowed to be charged per week for the honor of being garnished. UPS does not / will not care.

There are state mandated maximum percentages of gross pay that UPS (any employer) is allowed to take from a paycheck, regardless of garnishee amount. Be sure to research and document it well, make certified copies, then throw them away. UPS does not care about that either.

My understanding is that BBAG never received any grief at all because of having a garnishment, so that is good. Never a word, never a hassle from UPS.

Then again, BBAG worked 6 days last week and grossed less than $13.

Busted again:happy2:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
UPS is giving me 72 hours to settle the entire debt or be suspended. I guess I don't understand the contract language.

Even though I haven't been in this situation I too would be concerned why UPS would give you only 3 days settle your debt (s). You wouldn't have gone this far in the procedure unless you have exhausted all of your options.

To be facing a situation as severe as this and having an ultimatum from your employer, well its like rubbing salt in the wound.

JonFrum

And let's all remember to pronounce garnishee and garnisheed with three syllables each!!!

It's easy:happy2:. . . It's fun:happy-very:. . . It's the Law.:wink2:

jim50321

My situation is due to my wife having a long term illness and being unable to work. We were already carrying a debt load that could be serviced but once that income was lost things snowballed quickly and the creditors don't care about the circumstances.

I have tried to get some answers at work but get two totally different possibilities. One is don't worry about it nothing will happen, the other is they will suspend you and will terminate if the suspension lasts long enough.

I'll talk to my attorney and see if we can delay the garnishment untill my chapter 13 is confirmed. Usually in a 13 that payment is also taken out of your paychaeck but may be treated different by UPS. I have to believe there are more then a few UPS employees who have had bankruptcies in the past. They can't all have been suspended and eventually fired. But then again I have worked here almost 19 years so I know anything is possible with UPS.

Does anyone know off hand how long a suspension has to last before you can be fired?

iowa boy

Jim, unless you are just coming out of the process, how is this creditor able to garnish you if your paperwork has been filed with the clerk of courts office? this creditor should be standing on the sidelines just like everyone else until you and all of your creditors work out the details of the repayment plans. All of your payments should go through the trustee handling your case, as this creditor can be unscrupulous and tell the judge you didn't pay them after all is said and done. Then what? Just a couple of points off the top of my head.

jim50321

I think I have got a definitive answer. I finally got hold of someone in human resources at the district level and she told me she processes 3-4 garnishment orders a week either starting a garnishment procedure or ending one. She directed me to someone in district management who said you would be amazed at the number of employees inside and out that have funds garnished to pay creditors direct or to a bankruptcy trustee. He didn't even know such language existed in the contract.

Hope I didn't give him any ideas.:happy-very:

UPSNewbie

I think I have got a definitive answer. I finally got hold of someone in human resources at the district level and she told me she processes 3-4 garnishment orders a week either starting a garnishment procedure or ending one. She directed me to someone in district management who said you would be amazed at the number of employees inside and out that have funds garnished to pay creditors direct or to a bankruptcy trustee. He didn't even know such language existed in the contract.

I still don't understand the reasoning for ability of being disciplined...

BrownSuit

What would be the purpose of disciplining someone over this, besides not providing information in adequate time?

Repeatedly showing that you are unable to handle your personal finances may have an impact on your job depending on what it is. Driver's for instance are entrusted with sometimes large amounts of money through COD checks and other means and are also often given high value packages, or packages that clearly are high value, but not identified as such.

If they can not be entrusted with their own personal finances because of repeated, note that the contract states three separate requests, than there is some question as to their ability to handle those items.

Unfortunately life happens and sometimes this type of thing comes up, it's not meant to punish those people. It's meant ensure that those that repeatedly have problems are not in positions where they could have access to merchandise or money. I personally would question whether or not that somebody that has had this happen to that many times has their act together.

The OP's situation is unfortunately common in today's world with our medical system the way that it is. We are lucky that we work for a company that takes care of our insurance and also provides reasonable disability coverage when something does go wrong.

As for the 72 hours, your best bet is to talk with your HR department, your BA would be helpful as well, but in the end it needs to go through HR anyway. Letting them know to expect the request and the circumstances would make sure that everything goes smoothly.

Good Luck!

~On another note ~ Welcome back BBAG, I guess you are living the dream when benefits are great.

beentheredonethat

I did payroll quite a few years ago. Gettinng paperwork for wage garnishment was relatively routine. Usually 1 a week would come in. Mostly for alimony or child support, but other reasons also. The procedure then was to get the paperwork, process it as per term of contract (ie take $100 per paycheck, or x% per paycheck.). Usually the court would say that the employer was able to take out $1 or $2 or $3 etc paycheck to process this. We did whatever the court said. In all the times we did it, never even thought of bringing this paperwork up to the local mgmt team. Never did that. Hope that helps.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Ive never been in this position, but know several who have and my thoughts and prayers are with you. An illness can devastate a family. But more important is that everyone is doing well. Try to remember that as you get drug through the mill. :sad-very:Money saved for a rainy day, does little to help when the whole mountain comes crashing down on you.

chapeltuno

As soon as your creditor is notified of your Bankruptcy filing all attempts to go forward with any garnishment is halted unless the Garnishment is for the few exempted clauses( ie., Fed tax Lien, Fed Student Loan, etc.). Years ago companies GM for example and the UAW had many agreements more stricter than the current contract where employees were acutualy terminated (thats not happening now!!). In your case notifying via your lawyer or own your own with a certified letter giving them your case number should works wonders for you. Also large companies(within) their coorperate human resources departments have a person or person dedicated to wage garnishments. These people generally contact you without notifying your supervisor or even your center manager regarding your situation.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
She directed me to someone in district management who said you would be amazed at the number of employees inside and out that have funds garnished to pay creditors direct or to a bankruptcy trustee.

And you didn't know this by looking at some of the cars that people drive to work and how many sell back vacation. I can tell just by how some people act on this board they are walking that fine line. Oho well, I know I don't over extend myself.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And you didn't know this by looking at some of the cars that people drive to work and how many sell back vacation. I can tell just by how some people act on this board they are walking that fine line. Oho well, I know I don't over extend myself.....

...please take care that you don't strain your shoulder while patting yourself on the back.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Let me guess--the car is paid for, right?

2 of 3, are but that don't mean anything. I just laugh at people who buy things they can't afford or put themselves in situations in which eventually they will need to be bailed out of the mess they have gotten themselves into.

While my wife was in school, we sacrificed, ate at home, didn't go out drinking, didn't go to movies, didn't go on vacation, and I was able to pay for 65% of her schooling. So for five years this was my life.

By the way my wife's mother is filling bankruptcy because of her poor decisions, always drove a BMW, lived in a really, really expensive condo, and spent, spent, spent, charged, charged, and charged. So now way overextended and no money to pay the bills. So in the end who's fault is it???????