UPS Ground - Tracking Changed - Very Worried!

Hello everyone!
I ordered a DSLR on Sat July 2. It shipped on Tuesday via UPS Ground. It said for the past few days that it was expected to be here by Monday, July 11th. I woke up today to see this:

Shipped By
GROUND DEL CONF

In Transit

Now what's odd about this is that last night, it still said

Shipped by: UPS Ground
In Transit - On Time
Estimated to Delivery, Monday July 11th by End of Day

It doesn't even have a estimated delivery time.

What just happened? I'm very worried.

Now I don't know if it's the UPS site acting up because I can't even track any of my shipments right now on their website but what just happened to my order?

P.S: I'm trying to track my package via UPS and now it says "Not Available"

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wait until Monday before you start worrying that something terrible happened. You're kind of jumping the gun assuming something is up with the shipment that you shouldn't even see until 2 days from now, so relax and wait to see what turns up on Monday

1Z516R0W4297409838

I don't know why but I can't track any package on their website right now. Is it down or something?
And I want to wait but this is something I was really expecting and excited to get so I'm a bit worried that something happened.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Looks like the system is down. Don't worry. UPS prides itself on that system. I am sure they have I.E. guys working on it right now.

I should wait a bitthen.

However, someone else on an eBay forum has suggested that my shipment might turn into a SMARTPOST one. Don't know what that is but is that a possibility?

I forgot to mention that this was also odd.

IN TRANSIT TO, Jul-06-11, 00:09 AM, SECAUCUS
DEPARTURE SCAN, Jul-06-11, 00:08 AM, BALDWIN PARK
ORIGIN SCAN, Jul-05-11, 22:44 PM, BALDWIN PARK

It has been like that this whole week. It left California and is on it's way to NJ. I live in NY.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If it were a smartpost, I think you would have a 'PT' in the tracking after the 1z and the first 6 characters. I can't remember what the 42 means. It could change "feeders" in NJ. Feeders are our tractor trailers. If it is a smartpost, you will see it delivered to the Post Office the day before you get it. I have had several of those deliveries.

Ah! I forgot to mention that this is a signature required delivery. So the 42 means that.

I hope it isn't a Smartpost. I heard it takes an extra day if it is.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I just tried tracking a shipment on QVC. No information was available. So, it isn't just you. I admit I am not a fan of smartpost, myself.

Yes, so it seems.

Looks like my tracking is back to the same thing. Was odd that the whole thing changed due to the website acting up.

On another note, do you think they will leave my package if I leave a note asking them too with my signature? Heard that this has been done many times.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
On another note, do you think they will leave my package if I leave a note asking them too with my signature? Heard that this has been done many times.

Only if they don't like their job. If it is a signature required like you say, then it has to be signed for IN PERSON, no notes accepted. If you have a next door neighbor that is home we can leave it with them provided there is someone at their home. So if a driver were to leave your package without a signature then they would have to forge your name, and if it were to turn up missing the driver could be fired.

Yes, so it seems.

Looks like my tracking is back to the same thing. Was odd that the whole thing changed due to the website acting up.

Just to settle a discussion we had on here, as a third party (customer), please give us your honest opinion. If UPS offered a Saturday delivery ground service ,for say 20% shipping cost extra, would you have been interested if it meant getting your pkg today which sounds like it fits your schedule better?

Honestly, I wish UPS would ship to houses on Saturdays on a regular bases. One of the main reasons why I rather the shipper ship it to my via USPS is because USPS actually ships on Saturdays. I've had loads of time where I got a package on a Sat via USPS which would have been a Monday had they not delivered it on Sat.

If UPS delivered on Sat I would have gotten my camera today instead of waiting for the weekend.

However, yes I would like it if UPS did that. Not quite sure about 20% but having them deliver on Sat would be a major boost.
I don't know about UPS charging 20% of the total shipping cost, as sometimes the shipping cost can be quite huge as it is. I think most would agree that we don't want to pay even more then what we already paid for, for a day of delivery that UPS should be able to handle without extra charge.

Especially in this type of situation, where had UPS deliver on Sat, I would be receiving it today and it's more convenient as I'm home to sign the package rather then worry on Monday.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The 42 in the tracking number means that this is a signature required package, somebody has to be there to sign for it. It takes a week for something to travel from coast to coast, the package is loaded in a trailer during this time so it isn't getting a scan. The package will get an early morning destination scan when it gets to the building to be loaded into the delivery truck, so that should show it as being "out for delivery" sometime during that day.

bbsam

Staff member
We've had instances (at Fedex Ground) where a package shipped "Signature Required" could have that designation changed in transit via a fax from the shipper. Don't know if that is possible or not in this situation.

Honestly, I wish UPS would ship to houses on Saturdays on a regular bases. One of the main reasons why I rather the shipper ship it to my via USPS is because USPS actually ships on Saturdays. I've had loads of time where I got a package on a Sat via USPS which would have been a Monday had they not delivered it on Sat.

If UPS delivered on Sat I would have gotten my camera today instead of waiting for the weekend.

However, yes I would like it if UPS did that. Not quite sure about 20% but having them deliver on Sat would be a major boost.
I don't know about UPS charging 20% of the total shipping cost, as sometimes the shipping cost can be quite huge as it is. I think most would agree that we don't want to pay even more then what we already paid for, for a day of delivery that UPS should be able to handle without extra charge.

Especially in this type of situation, where had UPS deliver on Sat, I would be receiving it today and it's more convenient as I'm home to sign the package rather then worry on Monday.

20% was just tossing out a number. It could be as simple as a few extra dollars, purely speculative of course. Thanks for your answer.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
20% was just tossing out a number. It could be as simple as a few extra dollars, purely speculative of course. Thanks for your answer.

Just my opinion, but I don't like how he says UPS should be able to handle it with no extra charge. If you would want us to deliver on Saturday then you either would pay an extra fee (which we charge already), OR you would get a standard delivery week of Tuesday-Saturday and nothing would roll on Mondays. You're not going to get 6 day a week delivery for nothing just because it benefits you. Full time drivers already work enough during the 5 day week, we sure as hell don't want to work 6 days because people "think we should".

You don't want to pay a "premium" fee, but you want us to provide a "premium" service, I like your thinking. When my wife and I fly to Cancun in a few weeks I'll tell the customer service rep at the airline to give us First Class seats/service despite the fact that we are too cheap to pay for it....they should be able to handle it with no extra charge. Its not that we can't provide ground delivery 6 days a week, I'm sure we COULD....but does the small benefit to residential customers (MOST small companys are closed on weekends) offset all the overtime costs (drivers, loaders, feeder drivers) that it would cost? Probably not.

There is a reason the USPS is going broke.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Super, check your local supplement language. You may be surprised to see there is language in there about UPS having the right to change the work week as operational needs dictate. If UPS did decide to deliver ground on Saturday the language is already in place for them do so and, no, it would not be at time and a half.

The USPS is going broke because they are not allowed to operate like a business.

Not going to argue on the matter of the Sat thing as I was only giving my opinion as asked.

On another note, My package has been moving from Cali to NJ this whole week. It hasn't updated yet that it arrived at NJ.
Im guessing UPS still "delivers" on Sat to it's next drop off point?