UPS Plans to Cut Non-Driver Jobs to Mitigate Union Labor Costs

Brownwind

no it was cancelled because our supplier ceased production of the scanners and we needed to recall and save the rest for the hubs; also we went back to having pre-smart scan misload frequencies for like a single month (remember I said it was cyclical?) and they used that as the official reason
Thank you. I was wondering what happened with them

upser2020

Just an observation on automation. I work at a decent sized automated hub. We don't have sorters just belt tenders(which is what I do now). As I understand it a nearby facility that isn't automated and has sorters has about 4 times as many people in sorting and does comparable volume(we have 18 tenders and usually 3 to 4 extras/aa) while the other facility has over 50 sorters just for unload and 20 to 30+ for outbound sorting or secondary sort(which ill admit I'm a little fuzzy on what secondary sort is). I will say that the automatic sorting doesn't take much to get out of whack if people aren't paying attention. But yeah looks like they are saving 75% on labor plus tenders don't get the extra dollar per hour that as I understand it sorters do.

PT Car Washer

Just an observation on automation. I work at a decent sized automated hub. We don't have sorters just belt tenders(which is what I do now). As I understand it a nearby facility that isn't automated and has sorters has about 4 times as many people in sorting and does comparable volume(we have 18 tenders and usually 3 to 4 extras/aa) while the other facility has over 50 sorters just for unload and 20 to 30+ for outbound sorting or secondary sort(which ill admit I'm a little fuzzy on what secondary sort is). I will say that the automatic sorting doesn't take much to get out of whack if people aren't paying attention. But yeah looks like they are saving 75% on labor plus tenders don't get the extra dollar per hour that as I understand it sorters do.
New sorters lost the $1/hr sort pay a long time ago.

The past? You are a newbie?
I am indeed. I forget when I first saw the forum, probably was looking for some information, but never registered. When I was laid off last month I checked in and saw this thread. Decided to register and share that is not just non-drivers getting laid off. I hope to hear from BA this week and see what I can do. As for history, first hired in 1998, done preload, utility, Saturday Air, package, feeder, car wash, and air driver.

Brownwind

I am indeed. I forget when I first saw the forum, probably was looking for some information, but never registered. When I was laid off last month I checked in and saw this thread. Decided to register and share that is not just non-drivers getting laid off. I hope to hear from BA this week and see what I can do. As for history, first hired in 1998, done preload, utility, Saturday Air, package, feeder, car wash, and air driver.
15 years in and still getting laid off??? Not sure how to reply.
Highly unlikely in our area. I’ll have to refrain from commenting until I hear more details. This is a unicorn situation getting laid off with so much time in

Highly unlikely in our area. I’ll have to refrain from commenting until I hear more details. This is a unicorn situation getting laid off with so much time in
Actually, first time ever being laid off.

First started in 1998 doing preload. Went into package, never laid off. Then feeder, never sent down to package. Left UPS in 2007 to move out of state. After a few years I self-retired and drove seasonal feeder for a few years. When my health insurance went through the roof because of the (Un)Affordable Health Care Act, I came back to part-time work for the benefits in 2017. Landed a part-time air driver gig. I was told I was being laid off a week after the contract was ratified because the company was looking to save money.

The amusing thing is that the only other part-timer with more seniority than me is the other air driver, who is getting around 7 hours air driving and comes in early to work the preload for a total of 11 hours a day. Meanwhile, all the other part-timers with less seniority are not on layoff.

I learned last week that the other PT air driver is doing my pickups, unless there is an OCA in the opposite direction. When I told the supervisor it sounds like my job has been eliminated, he said no, they are just running one air route. That must be management logic.

There may be more to it. I'm turned 65 last year and was going to retire this year. When I went to apply for retirement in February, I was told that I could keep working and draw my pension, and that if I get 750 hours in this year my pension will go up. The Benefits Trust took to September to approve my retirement and start paying me. (In case anyone is wondering, I did get a retro check back to Jan. 1) This may be an attempt to frustrate me and get me to just hang it up.

And FWIW, I work in a small center that is hours away from any other UPS facility. It's a completely different world than the large hub I worked in before.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Actually, first time ever being laid off.

First started in 1998 doing preload. Went into package, never laid off. Then feeder, never sent down to package. Left UPS in 2007 to move out of state. After a few years I self-retired and drove seasonal feeder for a few years. When my health insurance went through the roof because of the (Un)Affordable Health Care Act, I came back to part-time work for the benefits in 2017. Landed a part-time air driver gig. I was told I was being laid off a week after the contract was ratified because the company was looking to save money.

The amusing thing is that the only other part-timer with more seniority than me is the other air driver, who is getting around 7 hours air driving and comes in early to work the preload for a total of 11 hours a day. Meanwhile, all the other part-timers with less seniority are not on layoff.

I learned last week that the other PT air driver is doing my pickups, unless there is an OCA in the opposite direction. When I told the supervisor it sounds like my job has been eliminated, he said no, they are just running one air route. That must be management logic.

There may be more to it. I'm turned 65 last year and was going to retire this year. When I went to apply for retirement in February, I was told that I could keep working and draw my pension, and that if I get 750 hours in this year my pension will go up. The Benefits Trust took to September to approve my retirement and start paying me. (In case anyone is wondering, I did get a retro check back to Jan. 1) This may be an attempt to frustrate me and get me to just hang it up.

And FWIW, I work in a small center that is hours away from any other UPS facility. It's a completely different world than the large hub I worked in before.
@PT Car Washer is that you???

No, part time air driver.

Center always had two pt car washers (local sort) until the pandemic, then grew to as many as five. They also put on several new ft drivers. When the volume finally dropped, they laid off car washers and got back to two. Currently there are three and one would be laid off if the senior one wasn't out on disability.

PT Car Washer

We have a 25 year seniority FT car washer laid off.

We have a 25 year seniority FT car washer laid off.
I didn't know someone had the handle PT Car Washer, I thought he was asking if I was a PT Car Washer.

When I worked in the large hub, the car washers were all full timers, it was the brass ring for package drivers who didn't want feeder. If they laid one of them off, wouldn't they be able to go back to package? That's what happened with the feeder drivers in the building, they weren't laid off, just sent to package, which would put a cover driver on layoff.

PT Car Washer

I didn't know someone had the handle PT Car Washer, I thought he was asking if I was a PT Car Washer.

When I worked in the large hub, the car washers were all full timers, it was the brass ring for package drivers who didn't want feeder. If they laid one of them off, wouldn't they be able to go back to package? That's what happened with the feeder drivers in the building, they weren't laid off, just sent to package, which would put a cover driver on layoff.
Laid off FT members can displace 2 PT employees provided they have more company seniority.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This person really is misattributing every single change that has been made since I started working here to Orion and it's only been out 3-4 years.

If I wanted to pull out my anecdotal evidence again I would say 3 biggest factors are increased building square footage (we are masters of packing equipment in like a sardine can but it still had a cost to it) penalties applied to oversized packages and overall shrinking of per-parcel sizes, retirements being replaced rapidly with a younger workforce.

There is a larger discussion to be made here, a 2010's idea that if the numbers look good you should trust them and forge on without a care in the world. I think a lot of us in the rear pack of these data and science career degrees have a good grasp on this now. What's really going on? The answer obviously is not that Orion does well by any means, it could instead be deeply rooted in harassment and operating culture.

Also my 2c on Orion is it's too safe and prescriptive (not operating safe, data interpretation safe). you actually see this issue a lot in the entire ecosystem of map and planner tools.

Last edited: