UPS Plans to Cut Non-Driver Jobs to Mitigate Union Labor Costs

If they want eliminate labor costs get rid of my dispatcher because she's a complete idiot
You could let AI do dispatching

That's complete waste of money

my on road , he doesn't even know where my route is
AI is a meme; the closest we've come to AI for on-road was the OG version of ORION without any parameters

that was a huge cluster:censored2: the likes of which you all can't fathom

you want to take away the human checks on ORION? lol okay, the investors are going to LOVE YOU

cynz

We have 28 sups on one shift. They have gotten rid of 11 sups at another building telling them pick a job online or your out. Dispatch has been told they will be gone in 3yrs. I read UPS is building a super center in India for 20 million it will be done in 2025, and they will hire up to a 1000 people. That will be oms, clerks in office, and dispatch. Customer counter will be closing dec 2024 nonunion. They are installing ai for dispatch right now. I think after peak they will be getting rid of lots of sups. First, they took away all their benefits, pension and bonuses. Which I read saves UPS 1.6 billion a year. Now they're going to use them till after peak and bye bye. Our volume is starting to increase, even though mgt is trying so hard to bring us in later, it's not working. My building probably has about 100 preloaders, at least 300 drivers.

cynz

I also heard that after AI is over dispatch they will have a part time dispatch to oversee it. Right now they have three fulltime dispatchers and three partime dispatchers.

worldwide

Not sure how the conversation went to completely target supervisors...
Article states "140k inside jobs"...Those sound like union jobs to me. Wtf?
That was my take from the article as well - it's inside Teamster jobs that will be lost.

UPS has already been doing a lot of cutting of management over the past couple of years through "voluntary" separation packages and encouraging early retirement to those that qualify (e.g. offering 9-12 months' salary bonus to leave now). A lot of management that were eligible to retire this year have left since their pension got capped in Jan - no incentive to stay any longer. Would not surprise me if those offers make their way to operations over the next year as well.

textat3

A properly staffed operation and a good dispatch can take care of a good deal of daily issues. Greedy drivers can take care of the rest.

anonymous23456

UPS plans to lower the 140,000 part-time employee head count inside its sort centers over the next few years, analysts were told. Collectively, these part-time unionized workers represent about $3 billion a year in potential cost savings, according to analysts attending the meeting.

textat3

UPS has no plans to get rid of or reduce its pt workforce. Even at 21 it is a tremendous bargain. It’s 6 months or a year for benies….most quit by then. It is essentially its own staffing service with constant turnover. Allows for much flexibility as volume rises and falls through certain periods. Sups are done. They are a liability.

PT Car Washer

UPS has no plans to get rid of or reduce its pt workforce. Even at 21 it is a tremendous bargain. It’s 6 months or a year for benies….most quit by then. It is essentially its own staffing service with constant turnover. Allows for much flexibility as volume rises and falls through certain periods. Sups are done. They are a liability.
PT sups are nothing more then higher paid package handlers.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
We have 28 sups on one shift. They have gotten rid of 11 sups at another building telling them pick a job online or your out. Dispatch has been told they will be gone in 3yrs. I read UPS is building a super center in India for 20 million it will be done in 2025, and they will hire up to a 1000 people. That will be oms, clerks in office, and dispatch. Customer counter will be closing dec 2024 nonunion. They are installing ai for dispatch right now. I think after peak they will be getting rid of lots of sups. First, they took away all their benefits, pension and bonuses. Which I read saves UPS 1.6 billion a year. Now they're going to use them till after peak and bye bye. Our volume is starting to increase, even though mgt is trying so hard to bring us in later, it's not working. My building probably has about 100 preloaders, at least 300 drivers.
RickyB Land has a bunch. They can go home

HubSnakeWrangler

I'm a dumb inside combo, so forgive my ignorance. How does an article consisting of only bullet points about eliminating "non driver" jobs conflate to getting rid of management? Don't get me wrong, the less redundant supes the better IMO. It seems though, it's talking about building/hub workers no? This should worry our union leadership.

RTS313

“MANAGEMENT IS THE ENEMY
TREAT THEM AS SUCH
TIME FOR WAR”

-maple grove
✊🧔‍♂️
IMG_2022.gif

RTS313

Not sure how the conversation went to completely target supervisors...
Article states "140k inside jobs"...Those sound like union jobs to me. Wtf?
Full time combos one sort 3 only 2 of 3 works the others sit office answer phones do supervisor works cause no sups on property