UPS Plans to Cut Non-Driver Jobs to Mitigate Union Labor Costs

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Not sure how the conversation went to completely target supervisors...
Article states "140k inside jobs"...Those sound like union jobs to me. Wtf?
But they’ll combine pt jobs to make full time and just not give the guarantee and risk the grievance payout

Thebrownblob

I'm hearing a reduction of 2500 in the IE department nationwide
1696169574700.gif

Family

"You could let AI do dispatching"
Fill in the blank.
You could let AI do ________.
Big brother knows where the non productive labor costs are.

TheDick

Been awhile since I had a on road that could even train on each training route that we have. Yes they are useless nowadays. FT dispatch/dps ? Another useless cog, that's going to PT sups now. A DOT physical is required Tobe on preload. Guess who's running the misroutes?

Thebrownblob

Been awhile since I had a on road that could even train on each training route that we have. Yes they are useless nowadays. FT dispatch/dps ? Another useless cog, that's going to PT sups now. A DOT physical is required Tobe on preload. Guess who's running the misroutes?
Great screen name!

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Seems like inconsistent hours and :censored2:ty split shifts would be the way to keep attrition high, avoid pension contributions and allowing health care enrollment. They'd save a lot of money that way.

Making life harder on full time drivers, thus forcing more attrition, lower wages because more start up, seasonal positions, and frustrating aging drivers into retirement.

Just a thought (although completely idiotic and negative, would seem to fit the marching orders passed down from the ivory Atlanta tower)

PoirotAtUPS

We have 28 sups on one shift. They have gotten rid of 11 sups at another building telling them pick a job online or your out. Dispatch has been told they will be gone in 3yrs. I read UPS is building a super center in India for 20 million it will be done in 2025, and they will hire up to a 1000 people. That will be oms, clerks in office, and dispatch. Customer counter will be closing dec 2024 nonunion. They are installing ai for dispatch right now. I think after peak they will be getting rid of lots of sups. First, they took away all their benefits, pension and bonuses. Which I read saves UPS 1.6 billion a year. Now they're going to use them till after peak and bye bye. Our volume is starting to increase, even though mgt is trying so hard to bring us in later, it's not working. My building probably has about 100 preloaders, at least 300 drivers.
Building with 300 drivers and 28 sups on one shift? Not likely.

We have 28 sups on one shift. They have gotten rid of 11 sups at another building telling them pick a job online or your out. Dispatch has been told they will be gone in 3yrs. I read UPS is building a super center in India for 20 million it will be done in 2025, and they will hire up to a 1000 people. That will be oms, clerks in office, and dispatch. Customer counter will be closing dec 2024 nonunion. They are installing ai for dispatch right now. I think after peak they will be getting rid of lots of sups. First, they took away all their benefits, pension and bonuses. Which I read saves UPS 1.6 billion a year. Now they're going to use them till after peak and bye bye. Our volume is starting to increase, even though mgt is trying so hard to bring us in later, it's not working. My building probably has about 100 preloaders, at least 300 drivers.
I'm struggling to find anything in your post that's accurate

OMS, clerical, and dispatch can't be automated anymore than current level, ESPECIALLY with the concessions the company had to make in this contract

AI for anything is a meme, you're being bamboozled by buzzwords

nobody's benefits or bonuses went away, nobody wants a pension over a 401k unless you're financially illiterate

also our volume is still decreasing