UPS tells customers they begin training management today on how to keep packages moving during a strike

DOK

There’s multiple issues on both ends. The new union leadership came in guns blazing in the last election promising everything not nailed down to the floor, they can’t go back to the rank and file with something that smells of back door compromise. The members seem hellbent to strike, just for the fun of it. The “record profits” mantra is kind of bogus. That was huge revenue driven by people forced to stay home and order in, it was never going to last and is going away. The company can’t pay out massive wage increases for future revenue that’s going down, while inflation remains high. UPS has been downsizing and trimming the fat off its business. There’s already been huge layoffs in my area at least. They don’t seem sad to see some pickup contracts go away and this brewing fear of a strike doesn’t seem to worry them either about work shifting to the competition. They might want to shrink themselves a little bit and that huge 8 billion dollar payoff to the shareholders might be a cover to lesson the blow of an already slowing business. I really don’t think it would be that hard for them to train a new delivery crew off the street and hurt for awhile until it gets well oiled. Or at least make it last long enough to burn through the strike fund and bring them back to the table. Plus congress did make the rail workers accept their contract last year. Probably a good shot at the government stepping in and forcing us back to work. Still got two weeks anyways.
We’re management fat that’s for sure, cut there as well.

vvv

If only there was a top off to inflation and ups profits

Have fun scabbing fam
The profits they made alone during the 2-3 years of Covid nonsense are more than enough to take care of this 5 year contract ask of ours, they aren't gonna go broke.

And even with the Covid push in the rear view mirror they will still go back to making billions a year regardless.

HarryWarden

It's also the company because the volume has been going down.
Yea I’m not buying the conspiracies. UPS is holding off as long as possible and causing unrest and uncertainty with customers and losing volume to fed ex so they can make the Union look stronger to encourage Amazon to unionize?

I don’t know enough about this stuff, but I imagine corporate and shareholders only care about their profits and maximizing it as much as possible, they don’t care about “leveling the playing field” by unionizing Amazon. I hope I’m wrong though

Yea I’m not buying the conspiracies. UPS is holding off as long as possible and causing unrest and uncertainty with customers and losing volume to fed ex so they can make the Union look stronger to encourage Amazon to unionize?

I don’t know enough about this stuff, but I imagine corporate and shareholders only care about their profits and maximizing it as much as possible, they don’t care about “leveling the playing field” by unionizing Amazon. I hope I’m wrong though
When you lose volume you lose profits

HarryWarden

When you lose volume you lose profits
Right. They’re losing volume now, but they’ll lose even more if a strike happens

The only thing I can think of is they know we have a 2 week strike fund and they will wait for us to run out of that and be forced to come back, and they figure the savings from not giving the raises will offset the cost of the strike. Does that make sense or no? Otherwise I just don’t know what the plan is

I’m really starting to get nervous about all this crap

Right. They’re losing volume now, but they’ll lose even more if a strike happens

The only thing I can think of is they know we have a 2 week strike fund and they will wait for us to run out of that and be forced to come back, and they figure the savings from not giving the raises will offset the cost of the strike. Does that make sense or no? Otherwise I just don’t know what the plan is

I’m really starting to get nervous about all this crap
The business they will lose will be far more expensive than give us a little bit more money

Doubleparkedrunner

7smcn5.gif

cynz

Can anyone honestly think our current pt and ft management could even do our jobs past a few hours. Last contract ft management had to be drivers before they went into management. Now management walk around eating and looking at their phones.
Aug the hottest part of the year, even with scabs no way can they do our jobs.

There will be a lot of management with heat stroke. And management is pretty pissed off at corporate taking away their pensions making them pay higher premiums for their healthcare, and their pay raises were so bad a lot are pissed off.

Can anyone honestly think our current pt and ft management could even do our jobs past a few hours. Last contract ft management had to be drivers before they went into management. Now management walk around eating and looking at their phones.
Aug the hottest part of the year, even with scabs no way can they do our jobs.

There will be a lot of management with heat stroke. And management is pretty pissed off at corporate taking away their pensions making them pay higher premiums for their healthcare, and their pay raises were so bad a lot are pissed off.
I do get a chuckle when I think about it part-time supervisor doing this job

Somebody unloaded the trailer for 2 weeks and they went to management
No way in hell were they ready for this

ManInBrown

I honestly do not know.
Personally I think it's a battle of egos
This. I think when UPS came out a few weeks ago and according to Sean “they pleaded with the Teamsters to reopen negotiations” and then UPS said we plan to have a deal in place by July 5th, O’Brien just kept up the rhetoric on social media. You better give us this. Like what’s the point. Why wouldn’t you tone it down and see what happens. I think that rubbed someone high up the wrong way. I 100% believe we are striking.