Well, it's been...

Meat

...four months. Condolences (?)

What’s the difference?

A decade (?) ago you had a point when you asked the members of the BC to list all of the jobs in the US economy that were paying better wages than FedEx.

Without looking it up, I don’t recall any substantive responses.

Boy have times changed. I drove by Taco Bell the other day and noticed they are offering a starting wage of $18.50.

Once a company is competing with the fast food industry in terms of starting wages, it seems pointless to be arguing wether or not they are a good employer.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What’s the difference?

A decade (?) ago you had a point when you asked the members of the BC to list all of the jobs in the US economy that were paying better wages than FedEx.
I don't think I asked that; the entry level Express pay a decade ago was nothing to get excited about. Maybe $15 or $16 in B0 markets.
Without looking it up, I don’t recall any substantive responses.

Boy have times changed. I drove by Taco Bell the other day and noticed they are offering a starting wage of $18.50. Once a company is competing with the fast food industry in terms of starting wages, it seems pointless to be arguing wether or not they are a good employer
I live in a B0 market. Starting courier pay here is $23.22, no experience required. Most fast food starting wages here are around $15, no experience required. Maybe a buck or so more with experience. How many people do you think would turn down that extra $8 an hour to work bad shifts, standing on their feet all day, dealing with Karen after Karen?

Is FedEx a good employer? I don't know. UPS was hiring drivers off the street for the past 5 years and it's not like FedEx employees were lining up around the block to apply.

Thebrownblob

I don't think I asked that; the entry level Express pay a decade ago was nothing to get excited about. Maybe $15 or $16 in B0 markets.

I live in a B0 market. Starting courier pay here is $23.22, no experience required. Most fast food starting wages here are around $15, no experience required. Maybe a buck or so more with experience. How many people do you think would turn down that extra $8 an hour to work bad shifts, standing on their feet all day, dealing with Karen after Karen?

Is FedEx a good employer? I don't know. UPS was hiring drivers off the street for the past 5 years and it's not like FedEx employees were lining up around the block to apply.
They probably should’ve been but unfortunately most people will take normalcy and what they’re used to over anything, even if it doesn’t make any sense

59 Dano

They probably should’ve been but unfortunately most people will take normalcy and what they’re used to over anything even if it doesn’t make any sense
Yep. Actions speak louder than words.

Ask a courier if his job is bad and he'll tell you yes, it sucks. Ask him why he doesn't leave for something else and he'll tell you "Well I already make $25 an hour, I got 3 weeks of vacation and a week of sick pay, and I got a schedule that's not bad, and if I really need to be off for something I can usually get it, my boss is pretty laid back." They won't shut up about how good it is.

How much is FedEx paying out for pension plans for retirees?

Gone fishin

Yep. Actions speak louder than words.

Ask a courier if his job is bad and he'll tell you yes, it sucks. Ask him why he doesn't leave for something else and he'll tell you "Well I already make $25 an hour, I got 3 weeks of vacation and a week of sick pay, and I got a schedule that's not bad, and if I really need to be off for something I can usually get it, my boss is pretty laid back." They won't shut up about how good it is.
The problem is if you’re not union or learned a trade or skill with college , you’re replaceable is what executives think. That said you can feel a little push back from American workers lately.
This younger generation just simply won’t work if they don’t get paid well , they have no problem staying with mom and dad.
Fedex will soon learn this I think

yadig

I
The problem is if you’re not union or learned a trade or skill with college , you’re replaceable is what executives think. That said you can feel a little push back from American workers lately.
This younger generation just simply won’t work if they don’t get paid well , they have no problem staying with mom and dad.
It will be to late by then

59 Dano

The executives are, for the most part, right about this. Why pay higher wages and raise prices when consumers would rather get less and keep the prices down? When consumers demand more and are willing to pay for it, things might change. Let them stay home with mom and dad.

MAKAVELI

The executives are, for the most part, right about this. Why pay higher wages and raise prices when consumers would rather get less and keep the prices down? When consumers demand more and are willing to pay for it, things might change. Let them stay home with mom and dad.
Except FedEx isn't keeping prices down. Rates at both FedEx and UPS are pretty much inline with each other and FedEx raises rates every year.

59 Dano

Except FedEx isn't keeping prices down. Rates at both FedEx and UPS are pretty much inline with each other and FedEx raises rates every year.
We're talking about the price increases that would be required as a result of significant pay increases on the macroeconomic level.

MAKAVELI

We're talking about the price increases that would be required as a result of significant pay increases on the macroeconomic level.
Maybe you haven't seen the current UPS contract. $44-49 an hour at the end. They aren't increasing their prices above FedEx. Ttku....

59 Dano

Maybe you haven't seen the current UPS contract. $44-49 an hour at the end. They aren't increasing their prices above FedEx. Ttku....
Here's what we're talking about:
Maybe you missed it.

Aquaman

The biggest problem this company has is long term employees STILL not being topped out. It has completely destroyed any morale this company had over the last couple decades. And they went & made it even worse by pretending to address the problem. 18 year employees $3-$5 from top out, do more damage to morale than you can imagine. They push new hires out the door, and they go to war with topped out seniors who act like they “paid the same dues” when they’ve spent 95% of their 35 year career at top out on the best routes. There’s nothing wrong with this companies starting & top pay. In my opinion, it’s fair. What’s not fair is making progression take 20 years in the same job code, and telling employees to be happy when they get .65 cents… this company needs a generation of workers who topped out in 5-10 years to reset the attitude here. Unfortunately this company doesn’t care if their employees hate it here. They have to start caring about that. And they’re about 20 years too late.

59 Dano

The biggest problem this company has is long term employees STILL not being topped out. It has completely destroyed any morale this company had over the last couple decades. And they went & made it even worse by pretending to address the problem. 18 year employees $3-$5 from top out, do more damage to morale than you can imagine. ..... Unfortunately this company doesn’t care if their employees hate it here. They have to start caring about that. And they’re about 20 years too late.

this company needs a generation of workers who topped out in 5-10 years to reset the attitude here.
What are they going to do? They'll say the company needs to do this, the company needs to do that, and then they go on about their business. Don't care if it works, don't care if it doesn't. LOL, they are some of the most "I got mine" people you'll ever meet.