What is being a package car driver like?

Re-Raise

There is a place here in town that I have never heard a bad word about. We are talking swings and slides in break rooms. Organized food fights. Pool tables air hockey and all kinds of other stuff. The people that work there honestly don't feel like they work when they are there.
Would you buy stock in this company?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Of course it depends on the center but the hours may be a bit over stated based on typical days. 8 pm every night is extreme. For us, that only happens in December. It can depend on your commute as well.

For the last few months I haven't been getting enough work. Today I punched out under 8 hours. And I took all 80 minutes of break time. Same with Friday. It's been hard to get more than 30 minutes overtime a day.

Even if we as drivers were to average 1 hour a day OT, which I think is more typical of reality, that's not significantly different than other jobs/lifestyles. Big deal, we work 5,6,7 hours more a week than a "typical" 40 hour a week job. We also make $50/hr for each of those hours. Not all jobs are 8-5 which is what people like to think of when they think of greener pastures. Jobs cover 24 hours of the clock. People say "become a doctor"? Most doctors have lousy hours, or worse, on call. Unless you open a private office with somewhat controlled appointments, most doctors work in hospitals that run 24 hours a day.

Millions of fathers and mothers deal with varying hours. Some get out early, which usually means an early start. Remember, we start around 9 am. Some have to work all night, perhaps in retail.

We also get weekends off. Lots of parents have to work weekends. So the reality is, is that it's very reasonable to have a good family life as a driver. Lots of drivers here have been driving so long that they forget that many other work schedules are much worse. Not to mention the growing amount of people that have to hold down 2 jobs to get by. As a newer driver, I can tell you this is the most pleasant job I've had in my working life (19 years). One of the few jobs I've had with a fairly regular schedule too. There's 10's of millions of jobs where you have to check your work schedule each week because it completely changes every week. Why are we complaining?
Your center could be an exception to the rule. Once you been driving 10 to 15 years your attitude toward the job will change, trust me on that one. After 10 years you start to get tired of it, and once you hit like 15 youll be completely over the job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Would you buy stock in this company?
Google is one of the best stocks around.

Ok the company isn't google but most of your big tech companies have work atmospheres similar to this.

Yes these people work hard but they are allowed some play time also.

This company isn't a public company but if they were yes I'd buy the stock. When employees enjoy their jobs they are invested in the success of company. Ups used to be this way.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Their doing everything they can to run us out of town and not make it to retirement. Pretty peckerhead move if you ask me. Funny as heck that they hate their employees so much, even though were the ones who do the dirty work and make the company go, on top of cleaning up their :censored2: mistakes everyday.

Brownslave688

Your center could be an exception to the rule. Once you been driving 10 to 15 years your attitude toward the job will change, trust me on that one. After 10 years you start to get tired of it, and once you hit like 15 youll be completely over the job.
Ten years. :censored2: more like 3-4. It's funny management always says everyone slows down when they hit full scale because they are getting paid more.

Zero logic in this. If it was all about the money I would stay out a hell of a lot later when I was making $18 and hour as opposed to $33.

What happens is it usually takes a few years for the new to wear off. Once you get past the oh I'm so happy to have a career phase you see the job for what it really is.

JL 0513

I fully expect that. But again I point to other jobs. How many jobs could you come up with that could peak your interest for the duration of a career? I can't think of any. Most jobs go stale. Even doing a "dream job" like being a pro athlete becomes "work" after a while. I can't think of one job that remains pleasurable for long.

Brownslave688

Which is why it's called work. I've known since I was 19 I probably wasn't going to love what I did for living. I also knew I could be paid enough to do about anything.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
But the job wouldn't be so bad if they didn't act like jerknutts about everything ya know. Wasn't like this back like 10 to 15 years ago, that's all in saying. The culture has definitely changed for the worse when the idea of trying to cripple their employees so they don't make it to retirement came about. Its not all about profit and shareholders now trust me, the one that is hidden that you wont hear about is the running the employees out before retirement. Trust me on that one.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
These people are down right evil. I never thought id say that or even come to what the job is now. Especially talking to some of the old timers that say what the job has come to.

JL 0513

This job bores from monotony but imagine standing at a cash register all day. Or even being in a manufacturing plant where you assemble just one part of a product all day long. Thousands of times, over and over.... Lot's of people do it. Talk about insanity.

AndUPSER

I also started at 17, I'm 19 now, and I'm also trying to figure out what to do for a living. I would recommend attending some classes at a local community college if you want to work in a white collar environment, or technical school if you want to work in a blue collar environment. This is what I'm doing.

I actually enjoy working at UPS. A few months ago I would let this job get to me, but now I have learned enjoy myself the best I can while I'm at work, even when I'm working doubles, having a supervisor trying to push my buttons or dealing with extreme temperatures.

But you should have a backup plan away from UPS. 30 years from now is a long ways away and you never know what the future might hold. If you are unskilled and you lose your job as a UPS driver, your most likely going to lose half of your pay and the other excellent benefits UPS has at another job.

HomeDelivery

since this and FedEx hit the stockmarket, you have to deliver like the following vid:

it's all about productivity & how much they can squeeze out of you before you quit or reach that retirement #...

why are some of you sticking past 20 years is beyond my reasoning (body already broken? marriage out the window? kids grown up?)

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

Ten years. :censored2: more like 3-4. It's funny management always says everyone slows down when they hit full scale because they are getting paid more.

Zero logic in this. If it was all about the money I would stay out a hell of a lot later when I was making $18 and hour as opposed to $33.

What happens is it usually takes a few years for the new to wear off. Once you get past the oh I'm so happy to have a career phase you see the job for what it really is.

VERY TRUE!
I told a new driver for Coke the exact thing. "Just wait till the honey moon phase wear off".

OPTION3

since this and FedEx hit the stockmarket, you have to deliver like the following vid:

it's all about productivity & how much they can squeeze out of you before you quit or reach that retirement #...

why are some of you sticking past 20 years is beyond my reasoning (body already broken? marriage out the window? kids grown up?)
There has NEVER…in the history of UPS…..EVER ….been a customer open the door that DAMN fast…LMAO!