whats the best way to deal with this new "push" on production? on production.

paidslave

I also would suggest that we do random drive alongs that are not premeditated and or setups. When the start time comes up for the certain driver, the supervisor gets an instant message tag along with driver X all day long if he is not able to be located. This supervisor has 5 minutes to get to the truck and be ready to go or reprimanded. Second time the supervisor gets a GPS chip implanted. If the driver happened to leave before his start time then he/she will foreit the bonus system for one year.

Supervisor X has to do that drive with driver X that day. This way nothing could be planned to make the driver look bad! A lottery system would be great. The supervisor won't have any clue and the driver won't have any clue. If the supervisor can't make that day then a new number gets drawn the next day for a DIFFERENT driver. Every center should also have a union commitee that does the drawing to make it unfixed. When your number is pulled then it is your turn. Your number in the hat would be your seniority number! The time studies should be handled in this manner by a UNION time study person. Not somebody that is paid to get a District managers JOB in a year or two!

It would be a lottery so nothing is planned out by the labor manager. He couldn't conive, scheme, or concoct any harrassing intent sitting in his office stewing over production reports. Yes UPS does have people planning out crap to push the supervisor to make it seem that all is well by harrassing the driver all day long. Furthermore, the supervisor also can't sit there and plan the drivers day like no other days of the year planned by the labor manager!

This idea is not intended to put management down but to make it produciton numbers fair and maybe even believable!

Somethings will change and hopefully this one is the next! We finally, finally YES finally changed management from pulling out lunch time for hundreds of 1000's hourlys!

my2cents!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am specifically talking about people who maliciously try to find ways to manipulate the methods into an excuse and means to slow down. .

They are probably just trying to balance out the people in management who maliciously try to find ways to manipulate the dispatch into an excuse and a means to impose impossible expectations. Paybacks can be a real bitch.

I find that those people spend a lot of time and energy working thier little game. In a sense they actually work harder finding ways to slow down then they would if they just stopped screwing around and did the job.

I find that these management people also spend a lot of time working their little game. In a sense they actually work harder finding ways to harass and coerce the driver into skipping his lunch then they would if they just stopped screwing around and dispatched the job fairly.

redshift1

They are probably just trying to balance out the people in management who maliciously try to find ways to manipulate the dispatch into an excuse and a means to impose impossible expectations. Paybacks can be a real bitch.

I find that those people spend a lot of time and energy working thier little game. In a sense they actually work harder finding ways to slow down then they would if they just stopped screwing around and did the job.

I find that these management people also spend a lot of time working their little game. In a sense they actually work harder finding ways to harass and coerce the driver into skipping his lunch then they would if they just stopped screwing around and dispatched the job fairly.

These Machiavellian schemes you ascribe to management simply do not exist. Driving is so arduous and so repetitive that its easy to believe an uncaring and unsympathetic corporation is demanding unattainable goals. The beauty of these beliefs is they are self-fulfilling by their nature and require little thought or imagination.

These Machiavellian schemes you ascribe to management simply do not exist. Driving is so arduous and so repetitive that its easy to believe an uncaring and unsympathetic corporation is demanding unattainable goals. The beauty of these beliefs is they are self-fulfilling by their nature and require little thought or imagination.
And what vast experience or knowledge do you have that would add any credence to the drivel you just posted? If these type of things didn't actually happen, there would not be so many people ascribing to them. I don't think that it goes on everywhere, but I do know it does here and as you can read on this board it happens all across the country. That is unless you are saying everyone is lying.
As far as "Driving is so arduous and so repetitive that its easy to believe an uncaring and unsympathetic corporation is demanding unattainable goals", I invite you to brown up and run(by the methods) any route in our center for a two week period. If after the first day you can run scratch or better consistently, I will kiss your shinny hinny in the PCM just before I walk out the door for the last time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You vast vocabulary does little to cloak your inexperience and much to expose your naiveness.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager tried a new tactic yesterday on our over allowed drivers. He took the daily operations report, highlighted the names of those drivers who were over allowed by more than 1/2 hour, and then assigned a dollar value to how much their over allowed cost the company. He stated that the average driver cost is $225 and the total of those drivers he singled out was $231. There were 6 drivers in this category and he listed all of their names, the amount over allowed and the corresponding dollar amount. What he didn't do is take the drivers who were under allowed by 1/2 hour or more and show how much they saved the company nor did he take in to account that the center as a whole was .05 under allowed.

We also have a whiteboard that they put by the employee entrance on which they post missed driver scans or other service issues. They now have the OMS take a picture of this board and word is warning letters will start to be given for missed scans, whether we ODS missing packages or not.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We also have a whiteboard that they put by the employee entrance on which they post missed driver scans or other service issues. They now have the OMS take a picture of this board and word is warning letters will start to be given for missed scans, whether we ODS missing packages or not.

We successfully filed an Art. 37 grievance to force the company to stop this crap at our building. This behavior constitutes over-supervision and harassment. An employees disciplinary file is supposed to be confidential, and anything the company plans on using against the driver cannot be displayed for public view. I suggest you do the same and get your management team straightened out.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We successfully filed an Art. 37 grievance to force the company to stop this crap at our building. This behavior constitutes over-supervision and harassment. An employees disciplinary file is supposed to be confidential, and anything the company plans on using against the driver cannot be displayed for public view. I suggest you do the same and get your management team straightened out.
Thank you, Sober. I was going to point out the same.

Our center manager tried a new tactic yesterday on our over allowed drivers. He took the daily operations report, highlighted the names of those drivers who were over allowed by more than 1/2 hour, and then assigned a dollar value to how much their over allowed cost the company. He stated that the average driver cost is $225 and the total of those drivers he singled out was $231. There were 6 drivers in this category and he listed all of their names, the amount over allowed and the corresponding dollar amount. What he didn't do is take the drivers who were under allowed by 1/2 hour or more and show how much they saved the company nor did he take in to account that the center as a whole was .05 under allowed.

Harassment at it's finest.
I don't understand how they can hold you accountable for a missed scan when the package is not in your truck. That's just craaaazy.

some1else

Banned
whats to respond to? How many days would you like me to ride with you to give you a fair shake on an ojs?
paidslave had a good point last page; but it would be easier to let tieguy pick a day for ride-along "at random" then the driver is allowed to pick a day "at random"

Tieguy; utlilizing your innate grasp of statistical methods, in addition to your humbling omnipotent knowledge of UPS delivery methods, would you care to enlighten us with an estimate of the resultant variance between these methodoligies?

//just yell so we can hear you from on high the 'brown~ivory' tower//
poo i didnt say Machiavellian

redshift1

And what vast experience or knowledge do you have that would add any credence to the drivel you just posted? If these type of things didn't actually happen, there would not be so many people ascribing to them. I don't think that it goes on everywhere, but I do know it does here and as you can read on this board it happens all across the country. That is unless you are saying everyone is lying.
As far as "Driving is so arduous and so repetitive that its easy to believe an uncaring and unsympathetic corporation is demanding unattainable goals", I invite you to brown up and run(by the methods) any route in our center for a two week period. If after the first day you can run scratch or better consistently, I will kiss your shinny hinny in the PCM just before I walk out the door for the last time.

I drove 10 years two of which were full utility so I drove all the routes in a 40 car center, was it difficult yes was it impossible absolutely not. I also managed for 20 years so I have experience from both perspectives which I believe you do not.

I drove 10 years two of which were full utility so I drove all the routes in a 40 car center, was it difficult yes was it impossible absolutely not. I also managed for 20 years so I have experience from both perspectives which I believe you do not.

20 years ago I was running scratch also. Apparently it takes less time to walk 30 feet to a front door now than it did 20 years ago. I just haven't noticed that much of a time savings. I submit that your 20 years in management has fogged your perspectives with the liquid lobotomy juice you've been imbibing in.
I guess I will have to retract my invitation to you, after 20 years in management two weeks on a route would kill you.
BTW, I have fourteen of twenty years as a "utility" driver.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Yet a few days ago, you posted this:

UpstateNYUPSer said:
Believe me, I am so glad that we don't have Joe Union in our center.
What you have to realize is that mine is a very small center and, for the most part, everyone works together to get the job done.
Sounds like you could use a little help from "Joe Union" now...

bigtoe1111

bottom line. are you paid production wages or are you paid to be productive? the latter. keep your wheels rolling and your feet moving and you will be just fine. best reply, "are you paying me production?". if they answer yes, you should then ask how you get all your back pay for all the under-allowed you have given the company.