Why is there such hatred between Ground and Express drivers here?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
New to the site, but I used to work ground/hd till a year ago when I switched to express. My route now I talk to all the drivers in the dayton oh area. Anyone else on here make the switch like I did
No, but I have been to Dayton once... I didn't actually talk to any drivers while I was there, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

bbsam

Staff member
New to the site, but I used to work ground/hd till a year ago when I switched to express. My route now I talk to all the drivers in the dayton oh area. Anyone else on here make the switch like I did
Welcome to the site, Slick. I do know of one other member that made the switch. I'm interested to hear what your experiences / impressions have been. Compare and contrast one opco to the other.

HomeDelivery

SlickSilver said:
Anyone else on here make the switch like I did

Slick,

I was thinking about it since I don't need to work 70 hours a week & don't need their healthcare/bennies...

the only thing that's keeping me here is the flexibility of the contractors are to my changing fam-work life; they all work around it as it changes from season to season.

Plus, the local management at the 2 hubs i'm working out of are actually decent & leaves you alone if you know what you're doing (ie i got more customer compliments than complaints/disputes/followups)

Is it true that those Express managers are really on your ass about every little thing?

dezguy

Giving away your location is probably not the best idea..... I'd probably edit my post if I were you but it's probably too late now...

Slick silver

Actually at the express terminal here they are pretty cool, I never had a problem. If I'm over loaded on the pm side my manager will either move them or sometimes he will go out and run some

Sent using BrownCafe App

dezguy

Well, I'd watch what you say around here. It's well known upper management monitors this place. With all the info you've given, it would be very easy for them to figure out who you are. If you're planning on staying with Express for a while, I'd watch what you post here...

hypo hanna

Actually at the express terminal here they are pretty cool, I never had a problem. If I'm over loaded on the pm side my manager will either move them or sometimes he will go out and run some

Sent using BrownCafe App
For now, but understand this can change in an instant. Managers quit, get fired or are threatened with their own jobs if they don't crack down and or hit numbers.

Often managers and dispatchers go easy on the newbies until they get up to speed. (Often without the driver even knowing its being done). They have learned that classroom training isn't enough and just throwing them out there only speeds up the time they eventually quit.

Slick silver

My experience has been great. I been with FedEx for 4 years. 3 with ground and 1 with express. I just hope to change the culture on here with the animosity. We are all drivers, been and seen it all. My life since switching last year has been better personally and professionally. Maybe one day down the road we will all be employees instead of technically being 2 different entities

Sent using BrownCafe App

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I am glad that things have improved for you.

The whole driver animosity thing gets played up a lot here. It makes for great entertainment, but in reality is just about as harmful as a Looney Toons marathon.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As long as Fred's alive, It ain't gonna happen.

Very true. Combining the two would never happen unless Ground drivers become employees. Even then, Fred wouldn't do it because the RLA exemption would be threatened. Fred does not want either of his scams tampered with.

bbsam

Staff member
Very true. Combining the two would never happen unless Ground drivers become employees. Even then, Fred wouldn't do it because the RLA exemption would be threatened. Fred does not want either of his scams tampered with.
Can you honestly believe that any successor to Fred would see things any differently?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Can you honestly believe that any successor to Fred would see things any differently?

No. Fred has set it up very carefully. He especially doesn't want anyone thinking that Express isn't an airline with trucks as opposed to a trucking company with airplanes.

bbsam

Staff member
Right. The point is that it's not MFE
We'll see how thick HIS wallet is so he can keep buying lawmakers.
Cactus how thick headed are you? It's not Fred's money that buys lawmakers. It's the company money and the company makes the most money under the status quo. It's not just Fred sucking up to Washington, it's the entire FDX corporate structure. And when you get to Ground, it's even more entrenched with vague laws, lengthy court proceedings, appeals and subsequent changes to the IC model. FDX is far, far, bigger than Fred and I bet Fred knows it. In fact, every CEO of any publicly traded company knows it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Right. The point is that it's not MFE

Cactus how thick headed are you? It's not Fred's money that buys lawmakers. It's the company money and the company makes the most money under the status quo. It's not just Fred sucking up to Washington, it's the entire FDX corporate structure. And when you get to Ground, it's even more entrenched with vague laws, lengthy court proceedings, appeals and subsequent changes to the IC model. FDX is far, far, bigger than Fred and I bet Fred knows it. In fact, every CEO of any pubcompany knows it.

Fred is still the point man, and that's what I mean when I talk about "Fred's Money". I can't speak for Cactus, but I think most of realize that Fred is pulling the strings on where and to whom FEC money goes.