Will they really call me back

Bossman27$

I was one of the first casual drivers hired this past October and one of the last ones to leave 1/14/17. On the last day the manager took 4 of the last casual drivers left and sat us down and said all of us had the best stats and that we will be called back in about 2 months to get our chance to be permenantly hired. We just would do our 30 day probation period and if we passed we would 100% be hired. Well I waited and waited and even called a couple times. The first time I called he said it would be the 2nd week in march. Now all of sudden they said it might not even be until summer! I worked so hard there, I always finished on time. I live with my gf and kid, I'm not someone who's in school and lives with his parents. I needed this job to live and depended on it. Now I feel like if they lied about calling me back in march would they even call me back in the summer and if they did would it actually be for a permanent position. The manager actually said you guys are just gonna have to trust me. I really really wanted this job!

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry but your first mistake was trusting him. He can't hire anyone until he is given the green light from someone who don't care what promises were made. I hope you aren't just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. Find another job---you can always quit it IF the phone rings.

Box Ox

4 of the last casual drivers left and sat us down and said all of us had the best stats and that we will be called back in about 2 months to get our chance to be permenantly hired.

4 outside driver hires at once, eh? LOL

Sounds like they want to keep you in the tank for seasonal driving and/or part time positions if they open up.

542thruNthru

I was one of the first casual drivers hired this past October and one of the last ones to leave 1/14/17. On the last day the manager took 4 of the last casual drivers left and sat us down and said all of us had the best stats and that we will be called back in about 2 months to get our chance to be permenantly hired. We just would do our 30 day probation period and if we passed we would 100% be hired. Well I waited and waited and even called a couple times. The first time I called he said it would be the 2nd week in march. Now all of sudden they said it might not even be until summer! I worked so hard there, I always finished on time. I live with my gf and kid, I'm not someone who's in school and lives with his parents. I needed this job to live and depended on it. Now I feel like if they lied about calling me back in march would they even call me back in the summer and if they did would it actually be for a permanent position. The manager actually said you guys are just gonna have to trust me. I really really wanted this job!

Sounds to me like he is stringing you along so he can use you for summer and then again for peak. Good luck but I'd keep looking.

Bossman27$

Yea and they even told me to keep my uniform on the last day I worked and when I picked up my last check. I heard they make a lot of promises to keep people as back up but they are doing a big hire this year, hiring 13 people, 9 on the south side and 4 on the north. I thought since I was the first hire and they last one to leave I had a chance.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you are in an area that will be getting Saturday ground, he may have known that he was going to need to hire more drivers.
Problem is, he has no idea when upper management is going to unveil their plan. He really may not know when it is.

There is a good chance he made promises he knew he couldn't keep but regardless, I hope you weren't sitting around jobless waiting.

Nine5

Prob just going to bring you back as a casual over and over again leaving you hanging and work you like a dog until you get sick of it, your just a warm body to them unfortunately they don't care about you. Good luck hope you get that shot at a FT position.

Indecisi0n

Time to put the big boy pants on. They (UPS) don't care if your living on the streets. This is a business and it's all about making the most amount of money no matter how many people get hurt on the way.

Best advise I can give you is for you to mentally tell yourself UPS will NOT be calling you back. This will prepar you for the worse. So based on that fact begin to move on with your life and look for other employment. Now if UPS does happen to call you back then great but if not at least you aren't sitting around at home doing nothing waiting for a call. You have a kid so not working isn't even an option.

Bossman27$

Yea just started at a new job today driving and delivering parts. It's not as much money and UPS has a way better retirement and benefits, but at least it's something. If they call down the road and they can guarantee I will be coming back to do my 30 day probational period for a a chance to be hired, not just seasonal I will think about leaving this job.

Indecisi0n

Yea just started at a new job today driving and delivering parts. It's not as much money and UPS has a way better retirement and benefits, but at least it's something. If they call down the road and they can guarantee I will be coming back to do my 30 day probational period for a a chance to be hired, not just seasonal I will think about leaving this job.
Let me make it clean, UPS will NEVER be able to promise you a job. They will ask you to come back for your 30 days but again that doesn't guarantee you a job. Your performance on new route might suck, you could get hurt or maybe even get into an accident which will DQ you. Again so just keep that in mind. You are not "in" until you make book and are in the union. After you are in the union then You are allow to hit other cars and keep your job.