100 OTR Feeder Drivers Fired

Johney

I agree. And when I sometimes did this, it was before the DOT 8 hour rule. Basically, UPS and the DOT did not care.

Now, maybe the DOT knows this is happening and told UPS that they may audit the timecards to look for this type of violation.

Either way, it is a violation and employees can be disciplined for it.

I cannot see it being a cardinal sin unless they are getting them for dishonesty.
Not likely dishonesty so to speak as they aren't really profiting from it anymore then they normally would right? Sort of like a p/c driver skipping his lunch to make bonus? They never bitched about that. Gotta be more to it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Not likely dishonesty so to speak as they aren't really profiting from it anymore then they normally would right? Sort of like a p/c driver skipping his lunch to make bonus? They never bitched about that. Gotta be more to it.
Just throwing it out there (while clearly stating I have absolutely no idea how mileage works at UPS), a previous poster mentioned something about detention time. Could guys be showing up a few hours before their expected departure and making detention time while sitting on property? That's one thing I could see the company going bezerk over.

Johney

Bingo! Seems a team was involved in an accident while "on break". I was told State Police decided to investigate all team drivers at UPS. 75 teams were in violation country-wide.

Remember peeps, this is all unverified. It's just what I heard.
Over9five strongly recommends that all drivers follow DOT rules, UPS rules, and the laws of the land.
I find that hard to believe, why not just say it was a glitch in IVIS.

Johney

Just throwing it out there (while clearly stating I have absolutely no idea how mileage works at UPS), a previous poster mentioned something about detention time. Could guys be showing up a few hours before their expected departure and making detention time while sitting on property? That's one thing I could see the company going bezerk over.
I have no idea wtf you are talking about.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sleeper teams can have some tight schedules but I would guess they were trying to inbound early to get on the clock.

Where I am they have to be on the yard 2 hours on the longest leg of the trip before they are paid for detention, all other stops are on the clock as soon as you inbound. This resets every time you go to your home domicile so most of our sleeper teams have to wait 2 hours twice per week since they usually come home once during the week for a partial day. Get to a few sorts 2-3 hours early and it's a lot of extra cash for the week because it's paid as OT if I remember correctly...Been awhile since I've covered a sleeper run.

I have no idea wtf you are talking about.

See the above post. Guys could have been skipping their break, getting on property earlier and then making detention time while waiting for the return load (if there is one).

Johney

See the above post. Guys could have been skipping their break, getting on property earlier and then making detention time while waiting for the return load (if there is one).
Yea I caught that. We don't have sleeper teams at our building so this :censored2: is beyond me. So to speak.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The other issue is that not only is the driver fined if he violates HOS rules, UPS is also fined.

And a package driver working through his lunch is the same idea as a mileage feeder driver. They are not working for free.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The other issue is that not only is the driver fined if he violates HOS rules, UPS is also fined.

And a package driver working through his lunch is the same idea as a mileage feeder driver. They are not working for free.

And I meant a bonus package car driver

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not likely dishonesty so to speak as they aren't really profiting from it anymore then they normally would right?

Don't have to "profit" to be fired for dishonesty.

Could guys be showing up a few hours before their expected departure and making detention time while sitting on property?

Usually not. The detention time, as you call it, will not normally start until the scheduled pull time, if the loads are late.

Showing up 3 hours early will not get you paid for wait time.

trickpony1

What if a mileage driver got to work early, got his equipment all ready (pre-trip), and was sitting at the outbound gate at his start time then:

one minute after his start time he presses LV and departs.

What's this called?

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Bingo! Seems a team was involved in an accident while "on break". I was told State Police decided to investigate all team drivers at UPS. 75 teams were in violation country-wide.

Remember peeps, this is all unverified. It's just what I heard.
Over9five strongly recommends that all drivers follow DOT rules, UPS rules, and the laws of the land.
We have all done this but many time have been warned about getting in an accident or hurt while working on a break or meal.

Now , I think the DOT wants to make an example out of these drivers to send a message. I'm sure the insurance company has a lot to do with it too.

Everyone should get their jobs back, I hope. Otherwise the union is worthless.

Glad I am out of this. The world is becoming too anal. All the fun is being taken out of it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Don't have to "profit" to be fired for dishonesty.

Usually not. The detention time, as you call it, will not normally start until the scheduled pull time, if the loads are late.

Showing up 3 hours early will not get you paid for wait time.

Have you ever done sleeper runs? That is absolutely not the way it works in my area. The longest leg you need 2 hours on the yard before being paid, all other TA's are on the clock the minute you inbound.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What if a mileage driver got to work early, got his equipment all ready (pre-trip), and was sitting at the outbound gate at his start time then:

What's this called?

This is called working before your scheduled start time.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

What's this called?

We have a few who do that. To me it's called doing your pretrip for free since you would only get 1 minute of start time pay. I've heard DOT can fine you if stopped because there is no way to do a proper pretrip in 1 minute, not sure if it's true.

Most of our mileage runs will already be off the door when the driver starts so start time is less than regular drivers who wait on the sort or build a set before leaving.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Have you ever done sleeper runs?

Nope. Just mileage.

ARTICLE 43. PREMIUM SERVICES

Section 2. Sleeper Team Operations

(7) Delay Time
It is the intent of the parties to make the driver whole for all justified
delay time, such as waiting for late loads, unscheduled on property
work, accident delay or on road equipment breakdown. Any
disputes will be referred to the Joint Premium Service Review
Committee.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Don't know what to tell you. I've done enough sleeper runs to know how it works and it pays how I mentioned it does above.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I think part of the problem is, and i just got off the phone with one of my sleeper team friends, is the 30 minute break periods are not built into the schedules. That is the case down here, anyway. I think the company looked the other way because loads were getting where they needed to go early. The DOT has probably threatened to drop the hammer unless UPS self-polices the sleeper teams. I was never on a sleeper team, but they implemented the 30 minute rule a few months before i retired. I never took it. I always worked straight through.