100 OTR Feeder Drivers Fired

trickpony1

The IVIS now gives a red warning screen telling you that you can't drive over 8 hours without taking a 30 minute break.

At least my does.

over9five

Staff member
They sound "cushy" until you eventually figure out that you're home long enough to pay the bills, mow the lawn and maybe, just maybe, recall you have a family.

Cushy?
We have sleeper jobs where you work 3, off 4.

Oh wait, some gypsy has those jobs now....

And THAT is what sucks most about this. No way we can cover 100 fired OTR drivers. Gypsies are now doing that work. All because some loser sleeper team drivers felt the rules shouldn't apply to them. Wouldn't bother me if none of them got their job back. They knew the rule, they CHOSE to ignore it, hurting their brothers AND the union.
#nosympathy

trickpony1

Some of our sleeper drivers I encountered at the hub, while they were fueling, acted like the world revolved around them and everything should stop when they pull on property.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Don't have to "profit" to be fired for dishonesty.

Usually not. The detention time, as you call it, will not normally start until the scheduled pull time, if the loads are late.

Showing up 3 hours early will not get you paid for wait time.
Got it. I did freight brokering in college as a second job, but wasn't sure how that worked here. Sounds like a similar set up.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We've had new sleeper runs coming online. A supervisor over some of our sleeper teams said they absolutely want to staff our sleeper runs with UPS sleeper teams, said it's cheaper than running contractors and sometimes the contractors will miss sorts because they aren't used to the right time schedules on some of the legs.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We've had new sleeper runs coming online. A supervisor over some of our sleeper teams said they absolutely want to staff our sleeper runs with UPS sleeper teams, said it's cheaper than running contractors and sometimes the contractors will miss sorts because they aren't used to the right time schedules on some of the legs.
It was always frustrating as a sort sup trying to figure out when we may see the contractors. They either show up a day early or at the end of the sort on the scheduled arrival day.

Take a UPS driver over a contractor any day

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
They sound "cushy" until you eventually figure out that you're home long enough to pay the bills, mow the lawn and maybe, just maybe, recall you have a family.

Cushy?

From what the sleeper guys tell me all runs are coordinated out of Louisville. Their runs can be changed anytime without being rebid. Rebidding happens once per year.

They were telling me our new runs that look like a nice cushy 3 1/2 day run of 3,800 miles will stay that way a few months and end up as a 5- 5 1/2 day run over 5,000 miles. This will change with the drivers having no say in the matter.

This is why 20 year drivers stay as the B driver so they can use the A drivers seniority to bid on routes that have been the same for quite awhile. They could still be change but it's not likely.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They are ok with letting a contractor drive who:
Doesn't speak any english
Has no drivers license or any form of id
Has plain sight dot violations on their tractor.
All of which happened this peak at our location.
But they want to nit pick what a 20 year safe driver does on their off duty at a turnaround.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
But they want to nit pick what a 20 year safe driver does on their off duty at a turnaround.
Whose equipment is at stake? Who is paying the fine?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I agree, except for the fact that if a UPS employee violates DOT HOS, UPS is also fined. If a contractor violates, UPS is not liable.

My problem is that this does not fall into a cardinal sin. If they have had progressive discipline over this issue before, I can understand. This should be a warning letter at most unless and until the issue is not corrected in the future.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
To me it's called doing your pretrip for free since you would only get 1 minute of start time pay.

Not here.

We do not get any extra time for pre-trip, post-trip or dropping and hooking. The time to do this is built into the mileage pay. We only get the actual mileage pay plus an extra .34 hours per day for 2 ten minute breaks.

So if we pre-trip before our scheduled start time, we are not doing it for free.

We do get extra pay for anything over and above the schedule. If we have to break the set down, build a set, fuel, road delay or sort delay, we do get paid hourly for that at time and a half.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Not here.

We do not get any extra time for pre-trip, post-trip or dropping and hooking. The time to do this is built into the mileage pay. We only get the actual mileage pay plus an extra .34 hours per day for 2 ten minute breaks.

So if we pre-trip before our scheduled start time, we are not doing it for free.

We do get extra pay for anything over and above the schedule. If we have to break the set down, build a set, fuel, road delay or sort delay, we do get paid hourly for that at time and a half.

It's amazing how different things are depending on where you are in the country.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree, except for the fact that if a UPS employee violates DOT HOS, UPS is also fined. If a contractor violates, UPS is not liable.

My problem is that this does not fall into a cardinal sin. If they have had progressive discipline over this issue before, I can understand. This should be a warning letter at most unless and until the issue is not corrected in the future.
Dishonesty is a cardinal sin, and I'm sure that in this case the company considered falsifying a DOT log to be dishonesty.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Dishonesty is a cardinal sin, and I'm sure that in this case the company considered falsifying a DOT log to be dishonesty.

That is what I posted earlier. Maybe.

But is it actually falsifying a log, or is just failing to work as directed by working during your lunch or meal?

They keyed in their meal, per the CBA and the DOT, they just worked through it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That is what I posted earlier. Maybe.

But is it actually falsifying a log, or is just failing to work as directed by working during your lunch or meal?

They keyed in their meal, per the CBA and the DOT, they just worked through it.
DOT is pretty clear about what constitutes a break or meal period and it doesn't include working. So yeah, if you put in your log that you were on break when you were actually working that's pretty clear cut dishonesty if the company wants to take a hard line.