100 OTR Feeder Drivers Fired

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I agree, except for the fact that if a UPS employee violates DOT HOS, UPS is also fined. If a contractor violates, UPS is not liable.

My problem is that this does not fall into a cardinal sin. If they have had progressive discipline over this issue before, I can understand. This should be a warning letter at most unless and until the issue is not corrected in the future.
I agree. UPS must be getting tremendous pressure from the Feds to show that they will do something about this.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm sure that many drivers being caught was a big hit to the UPS CSA score. Too many issues and it's a big headache for the company.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
DOT is pretty clear about what constitutes a break or meal period and it doesn't include working. So yeah, if you put in your log that you were on break when you were actually working that's pretty clear cut dishonesty if the company wants to take a hard line.

Especially if they unhooked the bus or whatever it's called to the tractor from IVIS. They could have been rolling during break which to me would be impossible to defend.

purehavanne

Anyone have info on this? Four from my building, 8 from a nearby building.

2 weeks ago, a mechanic sup came to pcm and stressed recording mileage and writing up slips accurately. He said the federal govt is switching to a system where they can watch DOT info in real time. I guess the system went on line and these guys are the first victims.

trickpony1

2 weeks ago, a mechanic sup came to pcm and stressed recording mileage and writing up slips accurately. He said the federal govt is switching to a system where they can watch DOT info in real time. I guess the system went on line and these guys are the first victims.

I'm not sure I believe this.

It is well known that management will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Same pcm here last week

Conan04

I think part of the problem is, and i just got off the phone with one of my sleeper team friends, is the 30 minute break periods are not built into the schedules. That is the case down here, anyway. I think the company looked the other way because loads were getting where they needed to go early. The DOT has probably threatened to drop the hammer unless UPS self-polices the sleeper teams. I was never on a sleeper team, but they implemented the 30 minute rule a few months before i retired. I never took it. I always worked straight through.

The new 30 minute break after 8 hours on the clock, right?

P

pickup

In my feeders department, I've noticed that the normally inattentive dispatcher (at least inattentive to her work, but not her outside life) is questioning drivers if they just hand in the keys without the yellow copies of the DVIRs. This has been going on just the last few days. I still doubt she is actually reading them because she seems to redispatch retagged tractors five minutes after getting the keys and the accompanying DVIRS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my feeders department, I've noticed that the normally inattentive dispatcher (at least inattentive to her work, but not her outside life) is questioning drivers if they just hand in the keys without the yellow copies of the DVIRs. This has been going on just the last few days. I still doubt she is actually reading them because she seems to redispatch retagged tractors five minutes after getting the keys and the accompanying DVIRS.

I thought we only turned in the yellow copy if there was an issue?

dudebro

I thought we only turned in the yellow copy if there was an issue?

Strictly speaking, if you're not getting the DVIRs, you don't really know (and can't prove) whether your vehicles are satisfactory or if your drivers are just not complying with the process. When you get a DVIR stating "Satisfactory" or otherwise, you DO know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It may just be in small package but we have been told that we only need to turn in the yellow copy if there is an issue.

I still sign mine off every day---most of the guys don't.

P

pickup

It may just be in small package but we have been told that we only need to turn in the yellow copy if there is an issue.

Is it possible that the package truck, I'm sorry the package CAR is not considered subject to DOT rules whereas the tractors definitely are?

Johney

So if there's an issue and the yellow copy is lost and they reload that car the next day with safety issue's what idiot gets blamed? Guess they aren't too smart in the BOG.