1000 Jobs Saved...

vantexan

So what should we think? Carrier was going to go to Mexico to escape high wages. A new administration comes in and they decide to stay.

Somehow Carrier is seeing those prospective savings by staying in the US. Is it on the taxpayers dime? How much of that $25/hr did you and I just pick up for this multi-billion dollar company? And you cheer it before asking the obvious questions ?
Nah, I just love watching the cynicism roll out. And what's really amusing is y'all support the gov't throwing trillions of dollars at problems that are never solved, but lambast any efforts that might save jobs. Your priorities are askew.

Bounty

Are you equally convinced that government subsidies to the poor also provide stimulus to the economy ? Because there are many studies that show that to be true.
So your answer is to put more people on the system that the middle class pays for.

Serf

Why, it's almost like the opposition wants the new president to fail. If full automation was remotely close there wouldn't be a need to move to Mexico.
At times I have thought the same thing. It's like each side is afraid that something might get done when they are not in the pulpit. So they have to go against it. Not actually work to make it better.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you equally convinced that government subsidies to the poor also provide stimulus to the economy ? Because there are many studies that show that to be true.

Where's my Obama phone? I'm still stuck with an old fashion flip phone.:-)

Meat

So your answer is to put more people on the system that the middle class pays for.

Let me ask you this: If federal, state, and local governments no longer had to pay out any form of low-income related entitlements, how many middle class jobs do you think that would eliminate? I have zero tolerance for those that don't want to work; but let's face it, social welfare creates jobs.

Bounty

Let me ask you this: If federal, state, and local governments no longer had to pay out any form of low-income related entitlements, how many middle class jobs do you think that would eliminate? I have zero tolerance for those that don't want to work; but let's face it, social welfare creates jobs.
If you make it easy to stay home and get something for nothing, human nature is to take the easy way. If you are physically and mentally able to work then get out there and get an friend*n job.

Meat

If you make it easy to stay home and get something for nothing, human nature is to take the easy way. If you are physically and mentally able to work then get out there and get an friend*n job.

You didn't answer my question. Furthermore, I'm not sure what type of humans you hang out with, but EVERYONE I know values a job well done.

bacha29

I haven't kept up on this story today. Did they ever say what was promised to them to stay in the US?
Reports say that the state of Indiana will give up 7 million in tax concessions. What will be given up at the federal level not yet disclosed . While it did save 1000 jobs in Indiana there will still be 1300 other jobs at CarrierUT in the state of Indiana that are still going to Mexico no matter what is offered.

dmac1

The same people who opposed Obama's attempt to stimulate hiring by spending gov money are now cheering Trump.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It will indeed be interesting to see how Trump and Pence "influenced" Carrier's decision. I'm sure the fact that Pence is the governor of Indiana and has a say in tax consessions has nothing to do with it, either. To answer your question, I'm not sure where Obama's influence was, but that could be said of every president since the Ford administration.

The fact of the matter is that the current administration had the same amount of time to work with Carrier to stick around... and decided that those employees weren't worth it. No president can save every job and it's debatable how many can be saved, but you won't save any if you just shrug your shoulders and make excuses.

59 Dano

Somehow Carrier is seeing those prospective savings by staying in the US. Is it on the taxpayers dime? How much of that $25/hr did you and I just pick up for this multi-billion dollar company?

Zero. Tax concessions cost nothing to anyone.

59 Dano

They provide economic activity. Not stimulus. If that theory was true, nations such as Sweden would be global economic powerhouses.

Star B

White Lightening
Zero. Tax concessions cost nothing to anyone.
Do they? That line in the budget that they already allocated to be spent needs to be paid somehow.

Oh, I know, let's cut education or infrastructure repair/mtc... we've got PLENTY of time to find money for that stuff!

59 Dano

Social welfare creates jobs administrating social welfare programs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do they? That line in the budget that they already allocated to be spent needs to be paid somehow.

Oh, I know, let's cut education or infrastructure repair/mtc... we've got PLENTY of time to find money for that stuff!
If the jobs went to Mexico the tax collection amount would of been $0

59 Dano

That obligation in the current budget isn't affected by future concessions, and the future budgets haven't been drafted, let alone passed, yet.

Bounty

If the jobs went to Mexico the tax collection amount would of been $0
These clowns just don't get it. They think it's better if the government was giving them a check for doing nothing. Like I said before don't bother trying to explain it. You have explained it perfectly.