1000 Jobs Saved...

It will be fine

These clowns just don't get it. They think it's better if the government was giving them a check for doing nothing. Like I said before don't bother trying to explain it. You have explained it perfectly.
Explain how this great negotiator just got taken for millions. All the company had to do was threaten to leave for Mexico and they got paid. How long will that work and how much will it cost us?

Bounty

Explain how this great negotiator just got taken for millions. All the company had to do was threaten to leave for Mexico and they got paid. How long will that work and how much will it cost us?
How about you explain to all of us how it would be better if jobs went to Mexico.

Star B

White Lightening
On what planet????

Fox News said:
Trump said during the campaign that he'd impose tariffs of 35 percent on Mexican imports and 45 percent on Chinese imports to protect American jobs from unfair foreign competition. Companies that import those goods would pay the tax at the border.
For Americans, Trump's tariffs on imports could be costly

They were going to save 45M to move to Mexico. Let's say they do 10B of their 56.1B revenue in USA sales. That's 3.5B in import taxes for the government according to trump's "import plan" which will never see the light of day with billionaires running his administration.

Bounty

For Americans, Trump's tariffs on imports could be costly

They were going to save 45M to move to Mexico. Let's say they do 10B of their 56.1B revenue in USA sales. That's 3.5B in import taxes for the government according to trump's "import plan" which will never see the light of day with billionaires running his administration.
I just wish someone in your family worked there and their job was going to Mexico. Bet you would be singing a different tune.

It will be fine

How about you explain to all of us how it would be better if jobs went to Mexico.
Free trade is a traditional republican viewpoint. It allows for lower production costs which provide consumers with lower prices for goods. It also improves the economies of our trading partners who then in turn can purchase more of our exports. Some individuals do lose their jobs but as a whole economies improve and everyone becomes wealthier.
If reality actually works like this is debatable, but that's the explanation. Economics is not a hard science.
Your turn to explain how the great negotiator being extorted will work well for the rest of us.

Oldfart

The company did much more than THREATEN to leave. The plant was already built. I would say the move was a done deal before the change of plans.

Name 1 major employer than has expanded or relocated WITHOUT a tax concession or state aid with roads or improvements. Good luck in finding one.

It will be fine

The company did much more than THREATEN to leave. The plant was already built. I would say the move was a done deal before the change of plans.

Name 1 major employer than has expanded or relocated WITHOUT a tax concession or state aid with roads or improvements. Good luck in finding one.
I'll go out on a limb and say they will still use the new plant in Mexico. They'll just keep this one too since the rest of Indiana is now footing the bill for its operation.

Oldfart

I'll go out on a limb and say they will still use the new plant in Mexico. They'll just keep this one too since the rest of Indiana is now footing the bill for its operation.
Do you complain when Fedex gets tax breaks to build hubs and maintenance facilities throughout the country?

It will be fine

Do you complain when Fedex gets tax breaks to build hubs and maintenance facilities throughout the country?
Actually those are probably a bad idea too. Municipalities and states bargain against each other to attract business to their location. The incentives aren't needed for a company to expand. Fedex isn't putting up buildings it doesn't need. They are going to build them anyway and they have to be local. Can't offshore a distribution center. Governments bidding against each other only dilute total tax revenue.

Oldfart

Actually those are probably a bad idea too. Municipalities and states bargain against each other to attract business to their location. The incentives aren't needed for a company to expand. Fedex isn't putting up buildings it doesn't need. They are going to build them anyway and they have to be local. Can't offshore a distribution center. Governments bidding against each other only dilute total tax revenue.
Many of the locations could be built anywhere. Government assistance made the decision where to build them easier. Tax incentives are here to stay. If any state decided to do away with them, it would be economic suicide.

bacha29

Short memories people. The General Motors bail out package backed aggressively by the Obama administration saved many times more jobs that the 800 or so that were saved by means of the Carrier deal. It made it through the Senate with a 2 vote majority. Even Senator Bob Corker who at 5000 workers at the GM plant in Spring Hill his home state voted against it..

Oldfart

Short memories people. The General Motors bail out package backed aggressively by the Obama administration saved many times more jobs that the 800 or so that were saved by means of the Carrier deal. It made it through the Senate with a 2 vote majority. Even Senator Bob Corker who at 5000 workers at the GM plant in Spring Hill his home state voted against it..
Donald is JUST getting started.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
These clowns just don't get it. They think it's better if the government was giving them a check for doing nothing. Like I said before don't bother trying to explain it. You have explained it perfectly.

They are, without realizing it, arguing that losing all the jobs to Mexico is preferable to saving half of them. Brilliant logic.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It also improves the economies of our trading partners

It's not the president's job to improve the economies of other nations. Especially at the expense of American workers.

Your turn to explain how the great negotiator being extorted will work well for the rest of us.

Extorted? Carrier was granted $7 million in tax concessions over a 10 year period. One thousand jobs saved. Carrier will also be investing $16 million in its Indy operation.

President Obama could have flapped his big Dumbo ears and worked out a deal his constituents, but I guess the average American worker just wasn't a priority.