16 yr old BMW driver slams into a parked UPS truck

21Savage

Just think if I was another second or two later he probably been thrown through the windshield
I worry about that when I'm delivering to a house on a busy street. What if someone rear ends the friend out of the truck while I'm retrieving the package or standing up. The way everyone looks at their cell phone while driving it's a very realistic possibility

rod

Retired 22 years
I hope, for the drivers sake, there wasn't an alley behind this stop where he should have been delivering.

Cowboy Mac

RIP to the young passenger that passed
It's strange, though.... I was pulled into an office about two weeks ago over my backing and I expressed that I didn't want to block roadways that didn't have shoulders (backroads through the woods) so the safest thing in my mind was to pull into the driveway, but if I don't KNOW that driveway and can't guarantee a turnaround, I'm going to avoid backing OUT of the driveway blindly onto a backroad that moves at 45mph minimum by swinging wide when traffic clears and backing INTO the driveway to make the delivery (that was a hell of a sentence, I hope y'all can make sense out of it.)

I was instructed to pop the hazards and block the road.

Then yesterday I see this video and I thank God that it hasn't happened to me following management's :censored2: instruction, which I don't think I'll ever follow again because the video I saw was proof positive that management doesn't give a damn about actual safety. (Granted, I don't know if the driver involved has received the same type of coaching I have but I can only assume that he has.)

Third world? So, like... Is it more of a Detroit third world, or is it more like Bolivia and Cambodia?

I can't even lie, I never imagined UPS to be on the ground in any third world countries but it kind of makes sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. I do that all the time in rural areas. Especially on roads with no shoulder and narrow driveway entrances ( can’t park parallel on shoulder). I put my turn signal on, honk my horn as I start to setup my back then I back up just enough to get off the road.

I started doing that after seeing fedex and Amazon nose in to the driveways then have to blind back out of the driveway onto a busy rural highway. Makes me laugh every time.

One night I had a city cop sound his siren at me and yell at me to never do that again. I yelled back, so where would you park, on the road? He just sped off.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Screenshot_20230519_225021_Gallery.jpg

FYI- The intersection of N. Conduit and 160th street in Queens was where it happened. Speed limit 30-35.

JL 0513

How did the 16 year old driver even survive? There's nothing left of the car. If you look at where he's coming from, it's the most reckless piece of driving I've ever seen. Ken Block couldn't have maneuvered out of that situation.

Commercial Inside Release

I would probably have tossed that stop to the side, and delivered it on foot via the sidewalk, when I was finished with the side street. If it was a single stop as I was passing through, I still would go around the block, and park on the side street near the intersection and walk it off. I've seen what can happen when you are standing in the back of a truck, and get hit hard like that.

If any management had a problem with it, I would just piss all over their desk and computer.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Guarantee mother of the year that lets this kid drive a sports car is already lawyering up to sue the company. Nobody ever puts the onus of responsibility on their kids anymore. That delivery spot is a lose lose for the driver. Had he double parked on the side street and got into an accident, it’s his fault. Had he hopped the curb and parked on the grass, property damage. I’ve made plenty of deliveries on two or three lane roads and took up the driving lane entirely. There’s no other way to do it.

vvv

Guarantee mother of the year that lets this kid drive a sports car is already lawyering up to sue the company. Nobody ever puts the onus of responsibility on their kids anymore. That delivery spot is a lose lose for the driver. Had he double parked on the side street and got into an accident, it’s his fault. Had he hopped the curb and parked on the grass, property damage. I’ve made plenty of deliveries on two or three lane roads and took up the driving lane entirely. There’s no other way to do it.
Park 3 blocks away and have a good pair of walking shoes my friend.

Michael Scott

How do you not put your 4 ways on delivering on a street like that…Would it have made a difference? Probably not, but maybe. The video isnt the clearest so maybe it isnt picking up the blinking lights, but sure looks like they arent on to me. Obviously this is 100% the 16 year olds fault. But that UPS driver shouldve had his damn hazards on cmon.

vvv

As horrific as this crash was, how much you want to bet his sups are blaming him for his parking position and not having hazards on
I'm not from the area nor have any idea what signage is posted in regards to that street. But I can only assume "NO PARKING" signs are posted on that road. And as some have mentioned and not that would have helped the speeding idiot, but he had no flashers on.
Furthermore his parking position absolutely sucks because if that side street allows traffic coming in his direction and someone needs to make a right turn around his back end he is parked WAY TOO CLOSE to the corner and therefore putting them in harms way of oncoming traffic as well.

Passenger car driver takes on majority of responsibility for simply being a fool.....but don't think for a minute that the UPS driver doesn't take on a percentage of responsibility in the "court" of Brown Cafe, his managers office, and most impotantly the actual court of law. If there are "NO PAKING" signs on that road he's definitely gonna catch some flak. First thing a greedy lawyer would check for is if NO PARKING is posted.
"Yes your honor, my client was speeding and reckless, but if that truck wasn't parked there he would have likely had time and space to straighten out his vehicle without impacting an illegally parked truck".....or something to that effect.

You guys all think I'm talking crap over the years when I keep hammering away on your actions out on route as far as truck handling and parking placement, it's what I constantly talk about. I'm not blowing smoke when I tell you I'll walk off an envelope a solid block long or more until I find proper parking.

Sups won't say anything to you and turn the other way because you are saving them many many minutes day after day until THIS happens. But nobody thinks it'll happen to them just like this driver assumed. Well.....guess what happened.
Don't let THIS be YOU. Take a long walk back n forth and sing a song, whistle, bird watch.....check out hot chicks in the neighborhood. Your boss CAN NOT say anything about you working safe and obeying the law, but they CAN have a lot to say if you are illegally parked and an incident such as this takes place.

Wake up boys & girls, take yourself out of the equation and play it safe ALWAYS!!!!